New America's Cup boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, hell yeah! This looks great.

Attachments

• i-feel-the-need-the-need-for-speed.jpg
    i-feel-the-need-the-need-for-speed.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 717
It's sad that it comes down to this, multihulls in America's Cup was bad enough .............. just sayn'

Why have a hull at all. Just build the whole thing out of plastic tubing.:nonono:

Personally I think all quests for sailing "modernization" are great, whether cats or singles. The 12 meter years were boring for even avid sailors once the ability to televise in HD and rich boy's excess fun money became the case. As Lurker pointed out above, there are many old style venues for the average weekend sailor to participate in or watch from shore.

A few years ago we were in NZ and spent a few days at the Volvo Race Series pit stop. Those round the world racers, organization and craft bear little similarity to a 10 year old sloop or a 12 meter for that matter. Lots of sailing stuff is being learned, developed and implemented into the mainstream by these trend setters.

I stopped watching years ago when actual sailing vanished and was replaced with who has the biggest bucket of money.
Its all a rich mans big wank in my opinion.
Rich men who can't sail themselves so make teams from the worlds best sailors and palm them off as "insert country here"

You want speed, sail multi hulls or skiffs, even if they are 60ft skiffs.
You want close tactics and tacking, sail an etchell or similar.
No more money need be wasted - we have the boats already.

At the end of the day if its about who are the better sailors, class racing is where its at and that can be done in a $5000 etchell - give the other team the same.
Or if you need bigger boats, Volvo 60 mono's or ORMA 60 trimarans - plenty of both available.
Then you will truly see who the better sailors are.

But we already know who the better sailors are, Australians and Kiwis.

Nice rant. Let’s go back to just racing El Toro’s. Would that suit you?

Attachments

• 0C7ECA8E-C2FC-412E-9C59-F7DBADE76429.jpg
    0C7ECA8E-C2FC-412E-9C59-F7DBADE76429.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 71
I think the America’s Cup is pretty cool, regardless of what they’re racing. Here you have a bunch of rich guys funding some incredible cutting edge boats and gear. There has to be some trickle down to us common folk. :)

I stopped watching years ago when actual sailing vanished and was replaced with who has the biggest bucket of money.
Its all a rich mans big wank in my opinion.
Rich men who can't sail themselves so make teams from the worlds best sailors and palm them off as "insert country here"

You want speed, sail multi hulls or skiffs, even if they are 60ft skiffs.
You want close tactics and tacking, sail an etchell or similar.
No more money need be wasted - we have the boats already.

At the end of the day if its about who are the better sailors, class racing is where its at and that can be done in a $5000 etchell - give the other team the same.
Or if you need bigger boats, Volvo 60 mono's or ORMA 60 trimarans - plenty of both available.
Then you will truly see who the better sailors are.

But we already know who the better sailors are, Australians and Kiwis.
Arguably the America's Cup has always been about rich guys toys and paid crew.

The 12 meters yachts were just a blip which didn't even last 30 years.

The technological step changes happened in 1983, when Australia II took the cup, designed by an Australian.

I'm in favour of the foiling yachts. But I'd be OK with bringing back the J class for a series.

If you want mano a mano, watch the Olympics.

Arguably the America's Cup has always been about rich guys toys and paid crew.

I'm in favour of the foiling yachts. But I'd be OK with bringing back the J class for a series.

No argument about it; it was always a rich man’s game. But hear-hear on bringing back the J-boats!

Attachments

• 00A0BF58-2244-49C2-8B71-1E2F0A068159.jpeg
    00A0BF58-2244-49C2-8B71-1E2F0A068159.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 86
No argument about it; it was always a rich man’s game. But hear-hear on bringing back the J-boats!

Yes indeed.

And they are coming back (although not to America's Cup racing):

A pocket guide to the J Class yachts – the world's most elegant racing fleet

Had the pleasure of seeing Endeavour up close in Maine a couple of years in a row when her rescuer/restorer, Elizabeth Meyer, brought her to the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta and also had her anchored at her family's island in Penobscot Bay. What a gorgeous yacht. Why I did a half model of her.

Last edited:
Nice rant. Let’s go back to just racing El Toro’s. Would that suit you?

Nah, I did say Volvo 60 and orma 60, both 30 knot capable vessels and would make exhilerating match racing based on actual skills vs budget.

Mixed feelings. The old duels of the 80"s were fun to watch, but so are the rocket ships.

One of Dennis Conor's old Stars and Stripes Mono takes tourists for rides in SD bay. Nice to see her out there and not in moth balls.

In the interest of self-awareness, a bunch of trawler guys sitting at keyboards and opining on the cutting edge of ‘real’ sailing is pretty funny. Just sayin.

Yes indeed.

And they are coming back (although not to America's Cup racing):

A pocket guide to the J Class yachts – the world's most elegant racing fleet

Had the pleasure of seeing Endeavour up close in Maine a couple of years in a row when her rescuer/restorer, Elizabeth Meyer, brought her to the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta and also had her anchored at her family's island in Penobscot Bay. What a gorgeous yacht. Why I did a half model of her.

Thanks for the link. We were tied up near Shamrock in Providence one evening and got to watch Endeavour glide into Newport under sail. Racing yachts may be faster today, but none can capture the majesty of the J-boats—even when they’re tied to a mooring ball.

In the interest of self-awareness, a bunch of trawler guys sitting at keyboards and opining on the cutting edge of ‘real’ sailing is pretty funny. Just sayin.

A lot of “trawler guys” have thousands of miles under sail. Just sayin’

I think we may be seeing the past through compass rose colored glasses..... The America's cup has ALWAYS been a rich man's contest fought by lawyers and skippers hired by business tycoons. Lipton, Vanderbuilt, Turner, Bond.....none of these guys has ever unwillingly suffered a blister or a callous. Telescoping masts, exotic metals, revolutionary keels,arguments about waterline length vs overall length.....and this is over 100 years ago!!! You want pure sport, untainted by wealth ? Where is this Utopia ? The Yankees built a dynasty with the highest payroll, Robert Kraft built the New England Patriots by spending money......College athletics is infused with cash, .... Soccer has the highest paid athletes....... Maybe the Iditarod ? T-ball ? Curling ? The Ameria's Cup is always about wealthy people pushing the envelope.

I think we may be seeing the past through compass rose colored glasses..... The America's cup has ALWAYS been a rich man's contest fought by lawyers and skippers hired by business tycoons. Lipton, Vanderbilt, Turner, Bond.....none of these guys has ever unwillingly suffered a blister or a callous....The America's Cup is always about wealthy people pushing the envelope.
Interesting company for Alan Bond, who went on to be declared bankrupt until his family got him out after 3 years via a settlement with creditors. He also got into some serious corporate property bother, resulting in a jail sentence, serving 4 years. An "Order of Australia" he was awarded was taken back.
I suspect the winged keel of Australia 2 was more hype than sailing advantage. A colorful entrepreneurial character indeed. Died following cardiac surgery, some years ago.
At one stage he owned the Nine TV network, purchased from the Packer family for about 1Bn. They later bought it back for around 1/3 of that. Interestingly, media mogul Sir Frank Packer was the first Australian America`s Cup challenger. In 1962 with the 12M yacht Gretel,which although it took only one of the 5 races from US yacht Weatherly, caused surprise with its ability and encouraged a number of Australian challenge attempts. From memory, Sir Frank tried again with "Dame Pattie", named after the wife of an Australian PM, (aka "Damn Pity" for its lack of success).

I get that the Americas Cup is trying to advance sailing technology however with the high tech boats they use, is it really true sailing? At this point, its almost more like number-crunching than sailing. They used cameras while practicing that were matched to reflective patches on the sails to get the optimal sail trim. One of Team New Zealand's 'crew' was just a professional bicyclist who was participating in one of his first sailing events...

I think they should use the J Class yachts for the real racing event. They are such nice looking boats and they don't break after every race :)

claasen_joins_forces_vitters.jpg

Hey! That's not sailing!

I'm sure all of the gaffers had the same thoughts the first time a Marconi rigged boat beat them to the windward mark.

hey! That's not sailing!

I'm sure all of the gaffers had the same thoughts the first time a marconi rigged boat beat them to the windward mark.

lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom