Perkins 6.354 Governor Adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
A friend has a pair of 6.354t Perkins in a houseboat. The rpm surge, I know Detroit 2 strokes had a buffer screw to adjust this. These Perkins have the rotary style pump I believe made by cav a division of Lucas the prince of darkness. Is there any external adjustment to correct the surging problem? TIA for any advice.

Surging is caused by air in the system.
As for the governor adjustment, look on top of the injector pump, get a friend to slowly operate the throttle WITH THE ENGINE TURNED OFF.
Now note the length of travel of the lever up to the stop.
Loosen the lock nut, unscrew the stop screw to allow the lever to move further. Retighten the lock nut.
Start the engine and check your RPM, do not exceed 2,800.

These are not sucking air. We bypassed the boats plumbing and used a length of hose from a 5 gallon bucket to the lift pump and the return. I believe the problem is governor related. The owner pulled the injector pumps yesterday and took the to a shop in St. Louis, Missouri today. Hopefully this cures his problem.

Bleed it at every possible point first, maybe not sucking air but has air trapped somewhere in the system, likely the pump.
There are two bleed points on the pump.
Doubt the spring is bad, but it may have a selection of notches to vary tension.
Oops, just noticed the pump has already gone to the hospital!

Good video Duvie. Thought I was going to need subtitles for a minute, but 10 minutes into the video your ear gets used to the accent . :blush:

Hard to believe the shop charges $1000 for that job.

Back
Top Bottom