AC/HEAT system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
as fate would have it{as we travel down the ICW} my heat/ac unit has stopped working the compressor is dead ... the system was put in in 1991 so its time to put a new unit in. I have a 36 1983 Albin I am thinking of a 16,000 BTU unit any suggestions on a model or brand of system??? the present ac/heat unit is mounted on the port side under the deck by the port door.so abit difficult to get to, just got to figure how it was put in fr removal and install the new system... ... thanks
Meridian
docked in Charleston SC
i

I really like Mermaid brand A/Cs. I have put them in 4 boats and have had good success with them.

I really like Mermaid brand A/Cs. I have put them in 4 boats and have had good success with them.

I have a 25 yr. old Mermaid 12k system that is still running strong. When time for replacement it will be that or an Ocean Breeze system..

I have a 30 year old Marine Air 16,000 BTU unit. The compressor failed to engage a few days ago, the light on the panel lights up indicating that it should be working. It has always worked just fine and being a liveaboard 9 months of the year it gets used pretty often during the summer. This type of reliability would normally be cause to replace with another of the same. The thing I worry about is that the quality of any of the manufacturers and the engineering was probably much better 30 years ago. So this is a timely thread as I have all winter to shop and decide.

Ron...
Do you think you may replace the compressor? I'm thinking that something else may fail next, your thoughts ? if you do replace which system would you go with

I have a 30 year old Marine Air 16,000 BTU unit. The compressor failed to engage a few days ago, the light on the panel lights up indicating that it should be working. It has always worked just fine and being a liveaboard 9 months of the year it gets used pretty often during the summer. This type of reliability would normally be cause to replace with another of the same. The thing I worry about is that the quality of any of the manufacturers and the engineering was probably much better 30 years ago. So this is a timely thread as I have all winter to shop and decide.

There's simply no way that 30 yr old technology can compete with present technology. That said, there are a number of things that could keep the compressor from starting, not all justify replacing the entire unit. Still, at 30 yrs old, it doesn't owe you anything. Perhaps DX the system, if it's an inexpensive fix, keep it running while you prep for a replacement. The old unit is more than likely R-22, becoming too much trouble to repair. No way I'd open the refrigerant system to repair, replace. If you pay for power, you'll save with a new system. Winter would be an ideal time to replace, probably less costly & can be planned. A new rotary or better yet, scroll compressor will be far more efficient and lots quieter. ECM motors are now very reliable, less power, quiet.

Ron...
Do you think you may replace the compressor? I'm thinking that something else may fail next, your thoughts ? if you do replace which system would you go with

No I’ll go with a new unit unless it’s a simple fix like a overheat switch or similar.

There's simply no way that 30 yr old technology can compete with present technology. That said, there are a number of things that could keep the compressor from starting, not all justify replacing the entire unit. Still, at 30 yrs old, it doesn't owe you anything. Perhaps DX the system, if it's an inexpensive fix, keep it running while you prep for a replacement. The old unit is more than likely R-22, becoming too much trouble to repair. No way I'd open the refrigerant system to repair, replace. If you pay for power, you'll save with a new system. Winter would be an ideal time to replace, probably less costly & can be planned. A new rotary or better yet, scroll compressor will be far more efficient and lots quieter. ECM motors are now very reliable, less power, quiet.

I agree completely I will not dump much money into repairing it. If I replace it I may replace the 12,000 BTU unit also. I would guess being in freshwater is one reason for the longevity of the units. The boat has been in the Caribbean and saltwater a couple of times in its life.

You don’t need new ACs

as fate would have it{as we travel down the ICW} my heat/ac unit has stopped working the compressor is dead ... the system was put in in 1991 so its time to put a new unit in. I have a 36 1983 Albin I am thinking of a 16,000 BTU unit any suggestions on a model or brand of system??? the present ac/heat unit is mounted on the port side under the deck by the port door.so abit difficult to get to, just got to figure how it was put in fr removal and install the new system... ... thanks
Meridian
docked in Charleston SC
i

You just need better ventilation and larger overhangs.

I saw the other A/C thread. I guess I have to rebuild my boat to include overhangs... or just turn on my A/Cs.

I think you will be happier with a new unit rather than repairing the old. The newer Danfoss compressors are quieter, Blower fans have changed from shaded pole motors to split capacitor motors and plastic drain pans or stainless steel makes everything cleaner.

It's cheap and easy to check/replace start capacitors if installed and most do have them on the compressor.

OP I suspect you're missing the heat right now and not the AC. I've never had much luck with heat pumps in boats..... Prefer pure AC and a Webasto or similar. Can also install heat exchangers with engine coolant feed, or running electric off the generator. (Cheaper). Lots of options.

It's cheap and easy to check/replace start capacitors if installed and most do have them on the compressor.

OP I suspect you're missing the heat right now and not the AC. I've never had much luck with heat pumps in boats..... Prefer pure AC and a Webasto or similar. Can also install heat exchangers with engine coolant feed, or running electric off the generator. (Cheaper). Lots of options.

Had the unit checked out and compressor is no good ..will wait till we get home to install a new one ..yes we are missing the heat !! Bought a small heater from Walmart .. better than nothing

Had the unit checked out and compressor is no good ..will wait till we get home to install a new one ..yes we are missing the heat !! Bought a small heater from Walmart .. better than nothing

Let us know what brand you go with and a after installation report on first impressions.

Interestingly, the AT includes 2 120vt electric heaters. Even in FL, sometimes it feels nice to turn on the built in electric heater until the AC/heat catches up.

I think I have 2 small ceramic heaters in the store room. I used them on my N46. I hate to throw them away but then, my storeroom is filled with stuff I would hate to throw away.

Back
Top Bottom