Knives For Emergency use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I always have close by here in Colombia and something similar while in Mexico. :D

9631-albums319-picture4031.jpg

Image1510534376.809468.jpg

Victorianox. The blade of choice by netmen working on Seine nets. Cheap at about $6. We have several aboard.

Jim

tozz I like the spyderco Atlantic salt, but $$$

Dexter-Russell 3 1/2 inch Tiger Blade Utility knife w/sheath. About $10 online. Try one on some line. We keep one strapped to the Sampson Post in the bow so everyone knows where it is.
s151sc-gwesheath_dexterrussell-1.jpg

I like this one also. It's cheap, sharp and very aggressive at cutting rope and twine. Includes a sheath.

I carry a 5" Fastback Flip Knife in my pocket all the time. Opens one handed very fast and takes a very sharp edge. Sold at Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-FASTBACK-5-in-Flip-Pocket-Knife-48-22-1990/203981004

A local tackle shop has used "chicken cutting" knives for sale, 3.95 each. I buy one every time I go in there.

2 years ago at an on-water concert, a drunk ahole anchored over our stern anchor, then proceeded to pull his boat into ours, motors running, cussing and about to kill somebody. Having a knife handy I was able to cut his anchor line away before he hurt someone badly. I keep a knife handy at all times, bow, stern and console.

A local tackle shop has used "chicken cutting" knives for sale, 3.95 each. I buy one every time I go in there.

2 years ago at an on-water concert, a drunk ahole anchored over our stern anchor, then proceeded to pull his boat into ours, motors running, cussing and about to kill somebody. Having a knife handy I was able to cut his anchor line away before he hurt someone badly. I keep a knife handy at all times, bow, stern and console.

Good plan ! The cheap Victorinox knives are dirt cheap! We always called them "lobster knives" because lobsterman bought them by the box. They were stuck in strategic places that lines could catch peeps or gear.

I have a bunch of folding, locking blades. I always have on in my pocket when out on the boat. Just a habit. I like the blades that are part serrated. It is important that the knife be able to be opened one-handed. There are always several in a drawer in the PH in addition to the one in my pocket.

I found one of these in our attic a couple of years ago. I guess left long ago by some A/C tech (you'd think he could have left the sheath for it too but didn't) thick SS blade,good for prying, sharp on one side serrated on the other the end of the grip is metal, very sturdy and could double as a light hammer. $13 at Home Depot, it might be a good candidate to have a few around a boat I might have to go out and actually buy one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Serrated-Duct-Knife-DK06/203195086

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom