Jupiter Inlet Boat Sinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy you guys are tough on drone guy, he posted comments about a video we are all lucky enough to have seen because he was there at the time.. he gives HIS opinion ( he was there or pretty close)... and you guys grill him. If I was him I would tell you all F. U. delete my posts and make sure trawler forum never got any of my drone footage again.
Drone Guy, thanks for the video .. and your first hand observations.
HOLLYWOOD

Thanks for the great footage, Drone Guy! Glad to see your skin is thicker than the BS thrown your way. I and many others appreciate you coming onboard to share the facts you have on the video. Keep 'em coming!

This thread has everything that is good.....and everything that is bad, with internet forums.

I agree! Love the discussion and the videos and the behind the scenes insight but we could all probably do without the skepticism and insults.

To those who are spring-loaded to insult, let's step it up a notch. It's much better to have an inclusive conversation than have to silence the offenders. Maybe it's better to sleep on it overnight than to hit SUBMIT REPLY right away.

Post # 101was the best I’ve read in a long time, we could adapt that to heated discussions.
I avoided comments because I was not privy to the facts although I’ve been out that inlet many times.

Thanks Scott

Thank You to the Supporters :)

And you are utterly clueless with your lack of knowledge of boat handling and what you saw and choose to build your case by what a nice family he has and other irrelevant side stories.

I don't know the specifics but I feel certain there was something else in play other than just the waves. There's a reason this boat flipped and sank and it's not just Lady Luck.

First let me say, my reply above (I tried posting it 2-nights ago) got Flagged because I'm a New-B and it had a Link in it (I have apologized to Moderators for that)...
I didn't realize it got flagged, all I knew was it didn't show up...

BUT, I ended up being Glad it didn't get posted (when I wrote it) because I changed what I said in my "next try" to NOT say CD is Clueless (even thought he repeatedly attacked my details, character and credibility)...

BandB You don't know me "either" so to assume I have no experience? couldn't be further from Facts...
I Grew Up on and around boats, Small and Large which included working at multiple marinas (like Spencer Marine = yachts) when I was young...

I've been "out there" on 24Ft boat (on the way back from Bahamas) when the waves got so high (and close together) that it took Two of us to keep the boat afloat = one steering and me on the Throttles (and we still ended up taking some water over the stern at one point), so again Your Assumption that I have no experience? is Incorrect ;)
----------------------------------------------------
I had also added in depth details about the Original Video that's being "questioned"??? But that reply also didn't appear either...

Below is that reply minus repeated copy and Video Link since I see now that reply-1 IS on here now...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

diver dave You are correct on my aircraft analogy...
IMO It was a chain of events that unfortunately ended in tragedy for the boat owner = not accident.

CDreamer This Sir. will be my last reply to anything you reply towards me, when I'm trying to explain what, why and how(s).

1: I have powerful binoculars to watch for boats, not from ground/water level but from on top of the Jetty so I actually had to wait for the boat to get closer before I took off to fly out to it.

2: I met the boat about 1/4 mile or so out and watching/seeing the waves over and over and over in HD on a 24" monitor = yes you can see what the wave actions were.

3: Since the wind was blowing towards shore, yes myself and several other people "that witnessed this from the Jetty" (some of us talked about it after I landed) all heard his motor/throttle actions starting maybe 150 yards offshore. And because the boat went down "less than 200Ft from where I was standing", I can say with 100% confidence that he was Off-Throttle twice before going over and Surfing down the wave into the swell that came over the bow.
adding this here now BandB IMO, giving it throttle while it was on it's way down the wave would have only punched it into the swell quicker since 1: Inboard Engine rather than Outboard, 2: the boat/bow was heavy and riding low...

4: Lastly, "the time from when Drone took off to when the boat rolled" was 1:12, "he" first got to the jetty/rocks at 2:50, he swam around the end of the jetty and got on the surfboard at 4:10, his foot first touched bottom at 5:24, it was obvious to me that he was going to make it to Dry Land at 6:00...

The last 1/2 of the video was flying out and around the debris which was surprisingly far offshore in 6:00 (plus I followed a tow boat that was out there searching), so the time I came back in and landed was aprox. 12-minutes total.
It was cool to see that two Fire Trucks were in the parking lot by then :thumb:

Since THAT post was long enough???
Adding here that there are Multiple Reason I haven't just thrown an un-edited version of the HD...
1: taking Care of person with Dementia 24/7 MEANS 24/7 sometimes...
2: Since Surfer Sam (what I call him) and his Father have I'm sure made $$$ because of My Video (and his obvious actions), I have been working towards getting "FAA Part 107" which is REQUIRED before I can make $1 from any pictures or Video taken with a Drone (thank's Uncle Sam) and since other people are making money Because of My Video? I think it only fair for me to try for some as well.
You would not believe how my Phone and Emails Blew UP after the Low Res 1-minute video was on TV the first time :eek:

I`m just glad you are not totally and permanently pissed off by the criticism you got.

Nice footage, Drone guy; and thanks for the added details.

The rest of us can only surmise.
I'll add my 2 cents worth.

It may have just been the shortness of the swell but the boat seemed to be sitting low in the water and throwing a spray in all directions. I'd guess it took a bit of a drink before the filming started.

I've been witness to a similar sized boat that went down due to a small amount of water in the bilge. It doesn't take much weight sloshing forward to dip the bow in a small boat. Then it's game over.

I'm glad I've got a flush deck.

I'd strongly recommend against seeking commercial profit without full FAA approval. It's one of those things they don't frown upon lightly.

Not to cause any more turmoil , but very familiar with Stapletons on the west coast of Florida . Most are not because it is a commercial boat . In my experience a great rough water boat , designed for stone crabbing and stab netting in winter . Probably couldn't name few other 26's I would chose to be in bad weather . And Stapletons have tremendous flair at the bow, more than most. Only problem we have had is gas to diesel . These boats in their time were built for small block engines . Now with smaller diesels people have started to put them in the 26's but they still add another 400 pounds forward of the CG so when at certain throttle it pushes bow down with added weight and torque until you climb over this stage . Very miserable about 12 to 14 knots . With outgoing tide and estimate of video speed looks like it put him right there .The inlet would be about the only place where this design would really be magnified ,any other sea condition you would be just getting wet from bow plowing until you broke over . **** happens ! PS I have seen theses boats stacked with 70 stone crab traps ( at 50 pounds each ) Handle the worst NE cold front you could throw at them balanced correctly

! PS I have seen theses boats stacked with 70 stone crab traps ( at 50 pounds each ) Handle the worst NE cold front you could throw at them balanced correctly

Note that the operator has a history, although not recent, of exceeding legal limits of fish too.

Whether a fish cooler was full of legal or illegal fish doesnt matter to the accident, only that the cooler added weight where it shouldnt.

Whether a fish cooler was full of legal or illegal fish doesnt matter to the accident, only that the cooler added weight where it shouldnt.

It has to do with the number and weight of fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been told that bottom jobs in the Bahamas leave much to be desired. Softball served!

I’ve been told that bottom jobs in the Bahamas leave much to be desired. Softball served!

It used to be that Floridians went to bahamas yards to get tin based bottom paint applied. Not sure if that is still the case.

DD

Yes it is a way to circumvent our laws of the US.

Yeah, Freon 12 another example. At least a few years ago, easily avail in Freeport auto supply shops. AND, it came from Texas, packaged in Texas, but forbiden for sale in USA. AND, its a global issue! go figure...

And, we wonder why so few people actually post on this forum.

Is this the same guy? I never saw where the 2 were linked.

Yes, David Sanderson. Same guy. Also, same guy with a gofundme page set up by Hardway Fishing Team in Boynton. Raised $3520 in first five days after set up. Then nothing for a week, before $100, and now no more for the last 8 days.

Yes, David Sanderson. Same guy. Also, same guy with a gofundme page set up by Hardway Fishing Team in Boynton. Raised $3520 in first five days after set up. Then nothing for a week, before $100, and now no more for the last 8 days.

What a scum bag.

What a scum bag.

Well, I'm not going that far. I don't know him. Just state what I do know. The exceeding limits on fish I think first arose in conversation only because of how his boat appeared to be riding.

Is this for an uninsured boat or a fishing fine?

Why is it people feel other folks should pay for the mistakes?
I had my car totaled and no one paid for the replacement car but me.
Maybe I should have opened a gofundme page to buy a better car?
Why not open a gofundme page so you folks will pay off my boat?

So many folks seem to have slipped a cog in assuming their own responsibility for they own actions.

Is this for an uninsured boat or a fishing fine?

It was to help him replace the boat although nothing ever said about whether he had insurance or not. Started by other fishermen but some conflict among fishermen in the area over it from what I heard third hand and then it pretty much died.

No idea what happened on the fine, whether he got it reduced on appeal or paid it or not. Fines of that nature always get mixed reactions from other fishermen, some who say the limits are too low and they'd do it too if they thought they could get by with it while others furious that they're playing by the rules and those who don't get an unfair advantage and hurt their ability to make a living.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom