TF Gathering in SE Florida 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep one fuel tank empty and ckean to fill with rum. :D

That way you might be able to go straight to the big distilleries and get a good deal on volume.:thumb:

The old USCG seaplanes reportedly had a "clean" temp belly tank for rum when they visited the Bacardi plant in Puerto Rico. ;)
Dang you must be old like me. ;):DI may trailer my "dinghy" by comparison to you guys. if we get to Florida earlier than March on the west coast. So docking can be at a local campground. Cheaper rates for us cheap peons....:thumb:

Dang you must be old like me. ;):DI may trailer my "dinghy" by comparison to you guys. if we get to Florida earlier than March on the west coast. So docking can be at a local campground. Cheaper rates for us cheap peons....:thumb:

There’s a KOA campground about a mile north of the marina. Nothing special but they usually have vacancies and it is convenient.

Good story Scott

The boat only holds 1500 gallons of fuel and the way the guys and gals drank last year that might not be enough. Carmelita’s has a new rum soon to be released which is great so I’ll have some of that on board along with the others.

BTW the boat is 2015! LOL

Hi Baker

I found a like new 2025 GB Heritage (Europa) 54 feet so I can bring more rum it’s like the old boat only bigger. I was happy with the old boat but the little PIA wanted bigger (typical woman). LOL

Wifey B: Well, it must be like new if it's 8 years before being built. :D

Ted

I love the Fleming even with drawing more than I like but the 55 doesn’t have a stand up engine room and 65 is more than I want or can easily hand,e (I’m sure you’d be fine but I’m old and fat). The boat we pick up Wednesday I hope is my last too. LOL. I now own 2 Grand Banks, boat poor but hopefully the 43 will sell shortly.

My definition of "Insanity" is owning more than one boat that requires pilings around it or a floating dock. I think about that when a hurricane is coming and I have both boats in the water.

Ted

WoooHoooo!!!! Can't wait to see it!!!

Whats the new sled have for power,Irv? Congratulations!

Jack(Steve?), your signature is confusing me!!!:rofl: :rofl:

And I am going to guess QSM 11s????

If so, and you plan on running on plane, read up on those things. They are obviously good motors. But they were built with a dry exhaust manifold prone to cracking. Tony Athens came up with a formula on how to run them to keep them below a certain threshold where cracking is unlikely....it is basically a load/EGT limit.

Last edited:
Ted. I happily admit to being insane and Watfa won’t argue. One more and you can Baker Act me.

Baker. Yes QSM11, 705 hp. If you can find the article on the exhaust please send me a link. I’m computer illerate. Thanks. The surveyor suggested the exhaust be redone because at slow speed water doesn’t cool parts of the exhaust and will get very hot, at speed it is 100% water cooled. Maybe the same problem?

WifeyB. Yes, I buy all my boats a few years before they are made. ?

Sailer of Fortune. It runs better on PBR!

Alert - slightly off topic.

Maria and I are planning to head to the Abacos after the TF Gathering. Any other TF folks going that way in late February? I know of one other but I will let him speak for himself.

David

David

I love the Bahamas but I prefer later in the year when the weather is better (less wind)and fewer cruisers.

Enjoy.

Darn guys - that's
the date of our annual skiing trip to Aspen/Snowmass. Hate to miss, but gotta have my days on the slopes. Al, I'm gonna get a pink helmet this year!

FC, I can't believe you're not coming! I just confirmed my AirBnB 5 miles down the road from the city marina for Tues-Sun.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of the east coast TF family. I might need a drinking helmet to hang with these guys. Maybe one of these that holds two IPAs.

s-l300.jpg

EMBRACE THE PINK!!!

Ted. I happily admit to being insane and Watfa won’t argue. One more and you can Baker Act me.

Baker. Yes QSM11, 705 hp. If you can find the article on the exhaust please send me a link. I’m computer illerate. Thanks. The surveyor suggested the exhaust be redone because at slow speed water doesn’t cool parts of the exhaust and will get very hot, at speed it is 100% water cooled. Maybe the same problem?

WifeyB. Yes, I buy all my boats a few years before they are made. ?

Sailer of Fortune. It runs better on PBR!

Here you go Irv....

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/propping-cummins-qsm11-to-prevent-exhaust-leaks/

Thanks Baker. Much appreciated, an extra rum for you and Wendy.

FC. if you come you can even wear a pink tutu.

Thanks Baker. Much appreciated, an extra rum for you and Wendy.

Thanks...you know I will hold you to it!!!!

I haven't really discussed it with Wendy, but I am thinking I can do that Thursday-Sunday...so catch most of it!!!

Your on, I’ll have rum and Watfa is planning a unique meal with apps. It should be fun.

Hi David

I think the best time is May. Cool but you can still swim, most fronts die out before it hits the Bahamas, less crowded, no hurricanes.

Just my SSO.

Alert - slightly off topic.

Maria and I are planning to head to the Abacos after the TF Gathering. Any other TF folks going that way in late February? I know of one other but I will let him speak for himself.

David

That would be me, but waiting on words of wisdom from Bigsfish.

Ted

Is there an informal roll call of who may be attending,either by boat or land?
Maybe sound off?

Steve, we will be there.....but not by boat or land..by air!!!!

Great news! Now to locate some PBR!

I agree with Irv about May being a good month for an Abaco trip. The fronts of spring have settled down, and the prevailing easterly winds have usually set in. Although, last trip over we did have a late front come through. We waited a few days for a decent crossing back to FL.

Don

Waiting a few days is not a bad thing if your in paradise.

See you in February.

I'll be there by land with the co-captain.

Back
Top Bottom