Autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dom61

Vessel Name
Brandi Jo
Vessel Make
1975 Marine Trader 34
I have a 197 MT 34dc with the original chain drive steering has anybody added a modern autopilot system if so what brand and model and possibly some pictures would help Thanks Dom

I've installed scores of mechanically-driven pilots over the years. You have a couple of choices. Add a sprocket & chain drive reversing motor to either of the helms or add a mechanical or hydraulic push-pull linear unit to the steering system in the rudder room. The second option gives you a back-up steering system should your original steering system fail. Any autopilot will work, provided it has an electric clutch output to disengage the pilot steering drive from the helm when you aren't using the pilot.

I've installed scores of mechanically-driven pilots over the years. You have a couple of choices. Add a sprocket & chain drive reversing motor to either of the helms or add a mechanical or hydraulic push-pull linear unit to the steering system in the rudder room. The second option gives you a back-up steering system should your original steering system fail. Any autopilot will work, provided it has an electric clutch output to disengage the pilot steering drive from the helm when you aren't using the pilot.

Can you give us a few names / choices based on your experience? I am looking at a GB 36 that has never had one and I would like to add one.

Thanks in advance.

Here are a couple of pictures of drives that would probably work in your case, the mechanical cable drive probably being the easiest & cheapest. I used to have a chain drive motor for an autopilot on one of my former boats that had cable steering but I can't find an example of it. It's nothing but a motor & reduction in a housing with an output shaft for a drive sprocket.

Attachments

• Linear-Remote.png
    Linear-Remote.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Raymarine_M81130_15856_2.gif
    Raymarine_M81130_15856_2.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 354
  • remote drive white_1.jpg
    remote drive white_1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 347
The sailboat style systems where the wheel itself is driven are not expensive , easy to install and quite reliable.

Mounted behind the wheel it need not be an eyesore.

These should ONLY be used with a 100% mechanical steering, although folks have gotten away with hyd steering setups .Hyd steering does not have a center , so some slippage results.

CPT Autopilot Inc.

Last edited:
I’ve got a comnav 5001 system in my boat, it has a chain, sprocket and motor that is disengaged with a lever under the helm.

The weather has not been cooperating since the instal and now it’s hunting season, guess it will be next spring before I get to try it out

Back
Top Bottom