Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Lou_tribal
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
Boy! It's hard to imagine anything cheaper than vinyl tile flooring! OK, OK, so there are 'premium' vinyl tiles and even real wood veneer laid up within vinyl tiles. Amtico is just a brand of vinyl tile: American Tile Company; seems as though they're now owned by Mannington. You must be paying a premium for installation in a small space.

I put solid 3/8" x 1 3/4" Teak strips bedded on a 'glass sole with epoxy then coated in epoxy and top coated with urethane floor finish in our long-sold '72 Morgan 27. That was plantation-grown Teak from Belize (without the white wood, often Holly or Maple strips). Not terribly expensive but a great deal of work to bend the strips to the sole.

We had solid Teak and Maple on our '70 Dutch-built LeComte. Original finish.

We have solid Teak and maybe Maple on our '84 Fu Hwa. It's glued down to a plywood subfloor and been refinished once and needs it again.

We have 3/8" x 1 3/4" White Oak strip flooring, face nailed, dating from the late '20s in most of the house. It's been refinished at least once, 25 years ago. The wood resists the dogs but the finish does not. The strips warp a bit with spilled water. We also have areas of 1"+ thick random width heart Pine flooring, typical 19th c house flooring. It's soft enough to be scratched by dogs. I had both heart Pine and modern yellow Pine flooring in another house. The heart Pine did reasonably well but the yellow pine did poorly. We have a new sunroom with random width 'character grade' White Oak and water-borne urethane finish. The Oak and finish have stood up well for three years but the Oak tends to cup.

SO! Harder is better than softer. Wider tends to warp/cup more than narrow strips. Wider boards will appear to come and go in width more than narrow strips. Glued down keeps things down. Quarter sawn, rather than plain sawn, is more stable (quartered, the tree rings are perpendicular to the face; plain, the rings are more parallel to the face). The wood in the tree's rings vary greatly in hardness; the darker 'late' wood is harder; the lighter 'early' wood is softer. Quartered means that there are more rings to resist damage while the softer spring wood is more exposed to damage

Teak and Ipe have the advantage of being oily so they do not tend to warp as badly as other woods. Sapele and Khaya are African Mahogany look-alikes but both are softer than lots of hardwoods. Brazilian Cherry is pretty, sold for flooring: I don't know how hard it is. Many ordinary American hardwoods are quite hard, some are milled as flooring, any of the hard ones would be lovely. White Oaks are harder than Red Oaks, and denser. Maples vary widely in hardness; Maple flooring is favored for gym floors. Cherry is softer than Maple but can be pretty hard (variable within the tree!(!). Hickory, Ash, Locust, Osage Orange, all good. Remember, 'hardwood' just means deciduous; Tulip Poplar is a hardwood but quite soft.

Pick something you like, glue it down, urethane it.

If I could add my 2 cents, don’t forget that a boat is not a house. You may spill water in a house you will certainly spill water on your floor in your boat so choose your wood wisely. About Ipe, if you are not used to work with and geared for, I would avoid as it is hard like cast iron and needs special blades to be properly cut.
You may find a lot of different wood that would be of good use in a boat but there is also the budget to consider. Using Padouk or Ipe will provide you with a long lasting floor but at a high price. Then there is the colour you want to get, dark or clear and with some wood it would be a pity to teint them considering their natural beauty.
Also consider that wood is a “living” element and some are more stable than other regarding heat and humidity.
I did a full master suite using Larch wood (not sure about the name in english) that was custom cut to the width of the room to avoid any joint, this wood is water resistant and quite stable to humidity variation so was perfect fit for that room where there is a bath directly on the wood floor.
In summary lot of choice in lot of look and lot of prices.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote