Engineroom Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapRob

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
HOPE
Vessel Make
Back Cove 37
Hi all,

Recently saw a post about mounting an iPad at the Helm to run Navionics side by side with the vessels nav system. I have done this and it’s great but now I’m thinking I can use it for more.

Has anyone set up an engineroom camera (or deck) to an on board iPad? Would love to be able to give a quick visual scan of ER from helm ipad. I know it doesn’t alleviate the need to drop in every hour or so but would be nice to be able to catch something early if I had eyes.

I looked up past threads but given the advances in WiFi and Bluetooth recently I suspect someone must have done this recently.

Pleased to hear.

Rob

If one's helm position is close to the engine room/compartment where one can smell and hear unusual smells and sounds, the less one needs to have a remote camera fixated on the engine(s). ... Engine-room cameras create another distraction from what is going on the water.

Last edited:
Infra red/colour reversing camera x 2 with 5inch screen on eBay for $30
Works a treat
No need to dick around trying to get things working with other devices.

If one's helm position is close to the engine room/compartment where one can smell and hear unusual smells and sounds, the less one needs to have a remote camera fixated on the engine(s). ... Engine-room cameras create another distraction from what is going on the water.

As a licensed Merchant Officer I disagree. If I hear an unusual noise or smell I would like a quick look. As I typically solo, in many instances, I cannot afford to leave the helm to go below and take a look. More information is usually better as long as you are not obsessed with it.

Works a treat

So this is a hard-wire to a dedicated special screen? Or can I get it to show on iPad or Garmin display? I have no space left at helm for additional screen (see iPad post earlier).

As a licensed Merchant Officer I disagree. If I hear an unusual noise or smell I would like a quick look. As I typically solo, in many instances, I cannot afford to leave the helm to go below and take a look. More information is usually better as long as you are not obsessed with it.

Absolutely, my engine camera came apart the othet day.

Even though I am only making 15 minute runs between a marina and anchorage every couple days, I feel naked without it now.

Works a treat

You have a link for the camera?

Does anyone have or know how to get a wireless Bluetooth camera that could link to my iPad or iPhone? Most wireless cameras I have seen, correction all wireless cameras I have seen seem to require a router. I would like to put up a Bluetooth camera on my rear rail so I can use it for better visibility when backing.

Does anyone have or know how to get a wireless Bluetooth camera that could link to my iPad or iPhone? Most wireless cameras I have seen, correction all wireless cameras I have seen seem to require a router. I would like to put up a Bluetooth camera on my rear rail so I can use it for better visibility when backing.

And that’s the NEXT thing! Good point.

I have two wired CCTV cameras in the engine room. They connect via BNC to the back of my Simrad screens. With two button presses, I can see what is happening. I had a water pump leak (an ounce a day). I wanted to monitor it, and the camera was a big help. When there is not an issue to monitor, I keep one camera on the fuel filter gauges.

I wonder if I can do that with the Garmin?

CapRob

BNC connector
The BNC (Bayonet Neill–Concelman) connector is a miniature quick connect/disconnect radio frequency connector used for coaxial cable. It features two bayonet lugs on the female connector; mating is fully achieved with a quarter turn of the coupling nut.

A camera doesn't necessarily give you more information, just an alternative way of accessing it. I also typically solo, but still prefer to lift the hatch. It takes me away from the helm for about 20 seconds to do a quick look, listen and sniff. No problem around here with minimal traffic or hazards on the water.

We are strong believers in cameras throughout, all through a wireless network. Specifically, the engine room camera does several things for us. It allows us to see and listen anytime. It allows us also to immediately check if any alarms, such as a bilge alarm go off. We do this whether we're on the boat or not. I don't see any negative in having the camera and every once in a while you're glad you have it. As to comments about distracting, only if you obsess over it. It's not something we're constantly looking at.

This statement could not be further from correct, unless you sit in the engine room all the time having the ability to glance at conditions in the E.R. at anytime is priceless. Even if one did 20 minute checks of the E.R. how much damage can fire or water ingress do in that short of time?.

I will never own a boat with out remote monitoring of the E.R from the helm.

HOLLYWOOD

Works a treat

Seems to be identical camera and screen but I got a 2 camera kit.
Been working fine for 18 mths, pitch black engine room lights up well on the screen.
Detail good enough that I spotted the raw water pump getting the wobbles on a night passage and could then monitor the situation until we got to our destination.

So you have a camera, and you have a display unit... and a long cable. I think OP's question is about whether he can connect a camera to the display unit he already has (iPad) without a cable.

I wouldn't mind a wireless set-up either. An engine room camera would be useful, but not worth the pain of running a wire from our ER to our bridge.

-Chris

Last edited:
I think OP's question is about whether he can connect a camera to the display unit he already has (iPad) without a cable.

Absolutely. $14 on Amazon:
61Wdd2ji2YL._SL1001_.jpg

Also look at Infrared backup cameras. I tried one but it kept putting the "parking space" lines on the image. Haven't gone back to see if that was the camera or the display doing that.

Yes u can

I wonder if I can do that with the Garmin?

I have two cameras in the engine room connected to my Garman 8212 chart plotters. They are connected via BNC connector.

I have two cameras in the engine room connected to my Garman 8212 chart plotters. They are connected via BNC connector.

Thank you. That’s great. I don’t really care if I use the Garmin display or iPad as long as it works. The BNC is probably more reliable than a wireless anyway. I just had not thought to use that display for that purpose.

Are your cameras the same “back up” cameras as mentioned earlier?

CapRob

BNC connector
The BNC (Bayonet Neill–Concelman) connector is a miniature quick connect/disconnect radio frequency connector used for coaxial cable. It features two bayonet lugs on the female connector; mating is fully achieved with a quarter turn of the coupling nut.

Thank you.

Absolutely. $14 on Amazon:

61Wdd2ji2YL._SL1001_.jpg

Also look at Infrared backup cameras. I tried one but it kept putting the "parking space" lines on the image. Haven't gone back to see if that was the camera or the display doing that.

CaptTom,
What is the description of your picture above so I can look up on Amazon? Seems there are several ways to skin the cat.
Thanks,
Rob

Our cameras are all wireless, connected to the WIFI network on the boat and accessible from anywhere then by internet.

Our cameras are all wireless, connected to the WIFI network on the boat and accessible from anywhere then by internet.

Thanks BandB. Who makes the cameras? Do you need Internet or just WiFi? The boat has WiFi underway but I am usually not connected to the internet underway. Do you know if devices are on same WiFi network will it work or do you need internet access to do this?

Thanks BandB. Who makes the cameras? Do you need Internet or just WiFi? The boat has WiFi underway but I am usually not connected to the internet underway. Do you know if devices are on same WiFi network will it work or do you need internet access to do this?

Just need WIFI to access from the boat. Internet access to access from other locations. The makes of the cameras isn't really important and we have different makes on different boats. We have Garmin, Flir, Iris, Gost, Crestron and Logitech in one place or another, on land or sea, and I have no idea who is actually the manufacturer of any of them. For thermal, I still prefer Flir, but it may just be that's what I've used longest. However, for a simple camera, any "webcam" will work fine and will work with or without the web.

This is a live shot of my engine room.

I’m not on the boat right now, I’m sitting in my office a hundred miles away

Attachments

• 60994C77-39B0-43D4-A234-CA5FA4E54331.jpeg
    60994C77-39B0-43D4-A234-CA5FA4E54331.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 108
This is a live shot of my engine room.

I’m not on the boat right now, I’m sitting in my office a hundred miles away

Wifey B: It looks lonely. Feeling sad and neglected. Wanting to know why you aren't there using it. Poor engines. :cry: :rofl:

So you have a camera, and you have a display unit... and a long cable. I think OP's question is about whether he can connect a camera to the display unit he already has (iPad) without a cable.

I wouldn't mind a wireless set-up either. An engine room camera would be useful, but not worth the pain of running a wire from our ER to our bridge.

-Chris

I was replying to spottsvilles query.

I don't see what the problem is with a cable, my ignition, gauges, throttle, gearbox all have cables and this one easily runs beside them.
Took less than 5 minutes to run it.

Last edited:
Well let me throw in a different question. I have a ray marine setup which can display cameras via N2000 or the ray marine network. I don't want to spend the $ for the RM label on the outside of the camera. What can I get that will plug and play into the network I already have without too much $ or time?

Back
Top Bottom