New Member NSW Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogicalMarine

Hi all,
Based in Port Stephens NSW, Australia.
I currently own an island gypsy that requires a lot of attention and approx 1/3 way through restorations. Its a Halvorsen IG51. Twin Cat3208's.
Hoping to meet and greet with members in the local area and trade knowledge and advice.
Pics to come!
Cheers
Chris

Welcome Aboard!
The boat from the Mosman area? Now there is a challenging restoration. I wish you well with it, it will be a handsome huge volume boat if you succeed..
Do you think the transom is original? At first I thought not, now I think it might be.

Most of what I know is on this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s23/ig-51-sale-31200.html.
I`m not sure whether the engines were replaced or those fitted were worked on. Have a recollection of hearing replacement, but I imagine you had information direct from the owners. When my boat went back in the water the boat was still on the hard at Putney. Assuming of course it is the same boat. The teak spiral staircase was a stunner.

Good luck, should keep you off the streets for awhile.
Pics would be great, look forward to seeing the refurbishment of a great looking boat.
Cheers Phil.

Beautiful boat. Owner was somewhat vague with details. Reconditioned cat 3208 motors now with 30hrs. What marina at putney was it? Maybe i can get some info off them...

It`s mentioned in the thread, the rambling old ex Halvorsen waterside factory, calling it a marina would be generous. The hull work was done by the owners staff,with help from shipwrights on site if the carpentry went beyond shopfitting expertise, which I was told was the owners area of business.Not sure what you`d learn from there, the workers tended to come and go, and it`s in 2011.
So the engines were replaced, that fits with my vague memory.
I remember the wife loved the boat and wanted it restored.
Did you motor it to Port Stephens?
While you are restoring it, keep an eye on hull condition. I could be wrong but vague memory is someone saying there had been hull trouble previously.

Motored to Port Stephens, Lemon Tree Passage where she lies on a swing mooring now. 3.5mt swell, 8knt and 15 hours later. Took 6 weeks to prep for trip.Had a lot of work done to her hull and engines replaced.

Hi Chris,

just replying to your email question you sent me. I don't know any more than what I had in the original email, about the original owner. I am seeing my friend who also has a custom fibre glass Halvorsen/IG 54 feet in a couple of weeks he has great knowledge on the Halvorsens/ iG in that size and had his vessel comissioned in 1989 and worked very closely with the Family during it's build, and it still looks great today and is used very often on Pittwater.

Wow! 15 hours is a long time for that trip, what speed did you manage to sit on. Does she have active stabilisers

We are taking Liberty to Port Stephens on Boxing day for 2 weeks, would be good to arrange to catch up and discuss your restoration etc.

regards Chris D Liberty

15 hours is a long time but that included a stop in newcastle. Most of the trip was 8knts but the swell slowed us up on the up hill climbs! She has naiad stabilisers yes. Hit us up when your up. There is a group of us heading up the myalls for a few weeks so we'll all be out and about somewhere.

Hi Chris,

that time now makes sense ........ obviously you know the Myall river well ? What are the tricks to taking up a vessel of that size ? what are the hot spots and what about the tides , how long after high at Tea Gardens is the go.

Liberty has been up there quite a number of times with the original owner, but some time ago. we used to take our last boat up , but have not taken Liberty yet.

regards Chris D

Hi Chris,

and I forgot , how good are the Naiads !!! we took Liberty down to Tassie and circumnavigated the isle in 2015, the Naiads worked a treat.

Lol. Never been up there. A few of the boys have done it and know it like the back of there hand. She draws 1.2mt and will be a high tide run through shallow areas. Should be plenty of boats for support. Looking at leaving day after boxing day i believe. Long story about the naiads ill explain another day. Lots of strange stories with this old girl but i believe it will be my favourite restoration to date. Ill try and upload some pics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom