Sabre 225 diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davechili

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Knot There
Vessel Make
CHB Senator
Does anyone have experience with 1991 Sabre 225 turbo, as to reliability and economics in 32 or 34 trawler. How would it compare to a 135 Lehman?

I had the NA version (120hp). It is the same basic engine. A Ford 380 cu in 6 cyl diesel but marineized by Sabre instead of Lehman. Mine was a blueprinted "Dover" (I think) engine and was very good. With the turbo I'll bet the rated rpm is well above 2500 and I'd be interested what that rpm is.

"economics in 32 or 34 trawler"

Will your cruising be at 6K or 12K -14K?

It is large HP rating for a displacement cruiser where you may never get the turbo spooled up

The rated rpm is 2500. I am am interested in economy not speed. 6-8k is what I would like. Do you think this would be an issue.

It is, but my understanding is that later marine diesels were either licensed to Sabre, or Sabre was the marine division. I think both were based on a Ford diesel ?

Cat purchased Perkins Sabre about 8 years ago. The 225 Perkins Sabres in my vessel were "introduced" about 8-10 years ago and many have been rebadged by Cat for marine (3056), genset*and light equipment use. During the 90s,* Perkins and Perkins Sabre*engines*morphed often enough that an e-mail to the factory or posting a query on botdiesel may be* in order.

All,* Notice the op said "Sabre" not Perkins Sabre. Dave I'm supprised the rated rpm is the same as the NA engine. Thanks.

"6-8k is what I would like. Do you think this would be an issue."

There have been many discussions on this board concerning under loading .

The quick answer is yes it harms engines , but taking a 6000 hour engine down to 3000 hours before rebuild probably doesn't matter much to a 200 hour a year boater.

Most engines will require the turbo boost to be at least positive (1lb will do) and more problems may occur if that is too much speed/fuel flow for your cruising style.

About 1500rpm is frequently a bottom..Look on the graph of the engine mfg .

Back
Top Bottom