Mainship 390 Navigation Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomlyng

Question;

I have a 2002 Mainship 390 with Raymarine Electronics. I have only owned for a couple months and is on the hard for the winter.
I have a Raymarine Radar/Chartplotter on the flybridge and a Chartplotter at the lower helm.
Should I be able to install the C Map+ cards in only one unit and should both operate off that card?
I have about 6 cards cover the "Loop" from apx 2005.
Is it worth upgrading these or upgrade systems.

Tom

Welcome aboard. You need to include model numbers of the equipment. There are several different lines of Raymarine equipment that could come from that time frame. Raymarine has been very good in phone support with me. You might call them directly. But they will want to know the models and the version of software on each.

Tom
If your equipment is using the C-map+ cards I would have to assume that your equipment is the RL/RC series. It might be worth the price of a chart upgrade but that's about all I'd invest since they haven't made that model for several generations & don't offer a repair service on them any longer. If the radar is working, Id be happy & use the system for the radar & the charts as a backup, until it decides to quit. In the meantime, if it were me, I would be looking at a new chartplotter that you could use alongside your existing system. If the plotter was in the form of an ipad or similar, you could use it for other tasks when you weren't using it to navigate. If you decided to go with a brand name hard-mounted plotter such as garmin ,raymarine or the like, you could use that as the main tool for navigation & then expand it to 2 stations & add radar when the old system takes a powder. Either way you would have more current charts.
Enjoy that new-to-you boat!

I have the same set up on my 2003 43 Mainship. Put the C map chart in the lower chart plotter and it will read on the upper radar unit. Mine is all 2003 and everything works great.

Thanks

Yes I have the RL70C and the RC530 and everything is working fine. I might have had one Lake Michigan map in the upper helm and a different one in the lower helm. I'll try just one in the lower.
I would like to add AIS, but am feeling I might have to go to a different system.
I have already traveled 300 miles, but do run an IPad chartplotter for backup and Active Captain.
Tom

An AIS wouldn't interface with your current plotters as they lack the software. Any new plotter would be able to show AIS targets on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom