Your short list....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's Purdy!

I see something interesting... She's been listed for sale since September 2015 which leads to the question... Why?

She's in Cooktown which is a reasonably remote location, you won't be flying in, I don't think there is a slipway there and the river has saltwater crocodiles, so doing a bottom dive is out.

It also says 350 views which seems ridiculously low for an add of that age.

For that price definitely a sailboat. Motorsailors are rare for a reason, typically because they don't do either particularly well. As others have noted that's one heck of yearly round trip in a slow boat.

Motorsailers are only rare on Yachtworld because people who own motorsailers tend to keep them. ;)

And if anything, they are slightly faster than other full displacement power boats with the sails giving extra propulsion, lift, and stability (all of which add to speed).

What would be your short list of boats in the 40 to 55 foot range that would make a good full-time live aboard for a single person, or couple, and be able to safely & comfortably handle an annual north/south, south/north (bash) migration from Mexico to Alaska and back again?

Requirements/necessities would include stabilization (active or passive), autopilot, radar, water maker, generator, A/C and heat.

Preferences/wants include full displacement, full keel, pilothouse, flying bridge, large full capacity, decent engine room access, fishable, diveable with room for solar panels. Nothing with huge amounts of horsepower.

Nice boat. But how much better than the OP's existing DD?

To be clear... I don't currently own a DD. It's still my dream boat at this point but the stars just haven't aligned perfectly for me to sail away in a SHM DD.

Ah. That would have been my first question, too.

Some of the older Swedish-built Nauticat pilot-house motorsailors caught our eye, way back when we first started shopping for serious boats. Their newer models don't do much for me, aesthetically, but would perhaps serve. (Except for that flybridge preference, maybe.) May be some ways to increase tankage in these, if necessary, but they were generally fitted out for long-range cruising.

We also looked at a pilothouse motorsailer called an NE37 that we liked. Designed by Mark Ellis, I think the Nonsuch guy. Can't remember if they were going to build a larger model or not...

-Chris

Choey Lee also built some motor sailers. Here's one in San Diego on the small side at 43' but has the tankage and hp to click off some miles. Crusing speed is a reported 9 knots. The down side, as I see it, is all the exterior teak including the decks and that dock box mounted on the fore deck.

1984 Cheoy Lee 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here's a list of Choey Lee's models, both sail/power and the designers if known.

Models, Cheoy Lee Sailboats

under $ 200, 000 KK42

very few ever make the north south west coast trip on a annual basis more that once..

to do it comfortably you often have to sit a lot to get the right weather windows.

The KK32 has a decent layout, is very fuel deficient and is a great bang for the buck boat.
But to do the West Coast it must be stabilized.

HOLLYWOOD

I like this one, looks strong enough to bash your way north into any weather and fast too - maybe just keep going past Alaska and smash a few icebergs on your way to the north pole too.
1978 Palmer Johnson Custom Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

DD

Several 10 to 12 year old 47' Beneteaus for sale in Seattle area for your price point. FRP, not steel. Fast sailing and fast under power. Great accommodations. Proven world wide blue water vessels. "Modern" sailboats are indeed great motor sailors. These kinds of boats are why in Europe the classic old motor sailor design dropped out of popularity.

I know several who routinely do Alaska and have done Hawaii. They seldom raise sails in PNW because inshore winds are flukey and they are trying to make tidal reversing areas without tacking. I can barely keep up with a newer design sailboat over 45' traveling under power and in many cases get outrun at my "efficient" normal 7.8 knots.

Several sail boaters I know go about 100 or more miles offshore from Mexico back to PNW, but it is a dreary wet slog. Once in hot Baja Mexico lots of fuel for genset and AC is essential IMHO. This "sit at anchor and socialize" lifestyle negates the nice running sailing vessels that normally are not equipped with AC or large fuel tanks.

Last edited:
I would be putting Shuckers on my short list too. They havn't been made in several years but good examples are out there, updated and improved.

There is skookum built monk design currently on yacht world that ticks most of you boxes. She's no Rhodes or Jongert but just as capable and more importantly within your price target.

DD

Several 10 to 12 year old 47' Beneteaus for sale in Seattle area for your price point. FRP, not steel. Fast sailing and fast under power. Great accommodations. Proven world wide blue water vessels. "Modern" sailboats are indeed great motor sailors. These kinds of boats are why in Europe the classic old motor sailor design dropped out of popularity.

I know several who routinely do Alaska and have done Hawaii. They seldom raise sails in PNW because inshore winds are flukey and they are trying to make tidal reversing areas without tacking. I can barely keep up with a newer design sailboat over 45' traveling under power and in many cases get outrun at my "efficient" normal 7.8 knots.

Several sail boaters I know go about 100 or more miles offshore from Mexico back to PNW, but it is a dreary wet slog. Once in hot Baja Mexico lots of fuel for genset and AC is essential IMHO. This "sit at anchor and socialize" lifestyle negates the nice running sailing vessels that normally are not equipped with AC or large fuel tanks.

Nice modern vessels to be sure but with a fuel capacity of only around 60 gallons I'd be constantly having to be refueling from gerry jugs and stopping to fill those often.

Motorsailers are only rare on Yachtworld because people who own motorsailers tend to keep them. ;)

And if anything, they are slightly faster than other full displacement power boats with the sails giving extra propulsion, lift, and stability (all of which add to speed).

I don't know if they are rare on Yachtworld or not, just that they are rare period. Go walk around a big marina, anchorage or mooring field anywhere in the world and see how many you find.

I found this boat on yachtworld yesterday and I liked it a lot until I read that it had over 1,000 hp.

Wifey B: If that boat looks half as good in person as on the web, then it's super duper nice and cool. What do you have against 1000 hp? I admit in a boat that size 1600 or so would be nice but 1000 gets a nice decent leisurely cruise. You can still go slow if you insist. Probably at 900-1000 RPM about 10 knots, maybe 1 to 1.1 nmpg. Nice looking boat. :)

Ohhh! I looked for a steel Phil Rhodes motor sailer for years and could only find one in the Med that had been rebuilt after a fire.
I think I would trade my boat for that one in a New York second.

Wow, that's gorgeous! ..........expecting A LOT of company for coffee!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom