Flexible Impeller 6 v 10 vane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yarradeen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yarradeen
Vessel Make
Harriscraft 48
I have a Mase 6.5kw generator with a Yammar 3 cylinder 1L. It has a johnson water pump. Replacing the impeller due to blocked strainer causing overheat. Extruded Jellyfish.

I have a new impeller that is the part number from the book is a jabsco 653-0001 but i have removed a 653-0111 unit. The 0001 is six vane while the 0111 is 10 vane. From what I have read the 10 vane moves more water but is replaceable in the same pump? Fact?

Should I replace 10 vane or go with the manufactures spec of 6 vane.

Yes and I need to remove the end cap from the heat exchanger to locate the rubber bits but that looks like a mission. If the generator runs at normal temps can I ignore this at the moment? Boom..:dance:

Picture attached.

Attachments

• generator impeller.jpg
    generator impeller.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 56
Yes and I need to remove the end cap from the heat exchanger to locate the rubber bits but that looks like a mission. If the generator runs at normal temps can I ignore this at the moment? Boom..:dance:

As long as those bits stay where they are. They could migrate over time somewhere causing more blockage, or where they'll even be harder to find/remove by the time you get in there......:angel:

I would go with manufacturers recommendation. Not positive that more vanes automatically means more flow.

The vane stiffness is important too.

If the genset runs at normal temps, sure it can be run. Especially if you are running it at reduced load.

You never know though when bits may rearrange and block more flow....

If HX is hard to get to, sometimes you can hook up a garden hose to the outlet of the HX and back flush it with some good water flow. At least some of the bits should come out that way. Aim flow into a bucket so you can see what you get.

I don't think it matters much how many vanes. I also have Johnson pump on my NL 5kW. I use the Johnson 6-vane impeller and they last a long time.

6 vanes will hold/push more water than 10 vanes (barely at these sizes), albeit at a lower head rise. Or... singles stage pumps typically use less vanes...

The Johnson 09-810B has really stiff vanes. I had the Jabsco replacement in my Westerbeke 8kw and it kept failing early. Now I keep 2 Johnson OEM impellers in stock at all times. Now that I have them I don't seem to need them as often.

I used a shop vac to get the bits out, and was able to get out moor than had broken off after counting the missing vanes.

Return your new impeller and ask them to order the Johnson impeller. from my own experience you will be happier.

Back
Top Bottom