View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 AM   #873
dirtdoc1

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Great question and observation. We also have a small harmonic vibration between 1600 and 1700 rpm. That's the only RPM we have this issue and Scott has reportedly chased this on other boats with support from Cummins. On our boat he installed two sets of drive shaft bearings but it didn't take care of the issue. I had a Cummins technician with over 20 years experience aboard a few months ago for another reason and he test ran the boat with me. His evaluation for this one RPM issue was harmonic with the engine and said it is enharent with these models. While I would prefer not to have this I can accept it since it is limited to one small RPM range. Regarding the issue "going away" in time I see no mechanical reasons why that will happen. Normally mechanical issues only get worse over time, never better. The fact you have this issue over multiple RPM ranges would be concerning to me and I would insist Cummins fix it prior to final acceptance of the boat.

If you don't mind me asking why was your boat nine months late?
John
Hi John,

The rattle may only be at one RPM range, I don't remember. I don't recall saying that the boat was 9 months late either. It was under construction when I first talked to NP about possibly buying a boat from them. The price was out of my range so Trevor said that they had a boat under construction that they would be willing to sell at my budget. He said that it should be done around June. It was completed in late October, that's 4 months past the approximate due date. "Around June" doesn't necessarily mean June. So I can't really say that it was 4 months late either. Trevor kept me apprised of their progress and kept me excited by sending pictures now and then.

They did a beautiful job. There is wood everywhere and it is gorgeous! He would call frequently and ask me if I wanted this or that on the boat. The first call he offered Flexiteak on the swim-step and cockpit at no charge. The second call was whether I wanted a gas or electric oven. The third call was whether I wanted stainless steel tiles behind the stove. (That stuff is cool). He added tile in the shower. My boat was the first with that option. The fourth call was about the color of granite in the galley and head. I chose two different colors. They modified the tables on the flybridge for me. He added shore-power at the bow at no charge. They ran extra wiring for me and other things. This was a boat that was 80-90% complete. I wasn't expecting the effort that they made to give me a custom boat experience. I thought the boat was going to be a stripped down model for the price but it came loaded. The thing that I really like about North Pacific is that they are continually trying to make their product better. The option list had some items in green which meant that they came at no charge and items in red that were options. Trevor said to ignore the colors "because everything comes with the boat now".That was a first for me.

So if in my previous post I made it sound like I wasn't happy with North Pacific I hope that I have rectified that mistake. I couldn't have had a better buying experience. Trevor's business is only about 10 years old and he is young and excited about what he does and proud of his business. It really shows in the way he does business. It's nice to see and even better to experience.

But that's kind of the way things are up in Washington. I really noticed it where I stayed (Bellwether - highly recommended) and at the shops that I went to. Californians are so stressed and jaded. I'm not used to getting greeted with a smile. I was born in San Francisco in 1956 and lived here all my life. I have watched things change as the traffic now rivals LA's with the traffic jams and the road rage. I can't wait to start cruising the coast. I'm retiring at the end of this year and then it's the trawler life for me. I'll take a storm to a traffic jam any day. As long as it's not the perfect storm!

Cheers,