Swim step support brackets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Hurricane Irma demolished my teak swimstep including the support brackets. Looking for replacement brackets. Any ideas? I didnt think of it until today but there must have been some trawlers that were sunk or totaled that still have salvageable brackets.. Any ideas? 81 Formosa Taiwan 42' trawler...

If you can wait a few more months, the parts that came from the boats that were totaled in Irma should becoming available.

Larry’s right, but most of those parts will be around this side so you’ll have to ship. If your transome is bare now, it would be an excellent time to review what you liked or disliked about your old platform. Some 1/4” x 1” aluminum strips can make a pretty good dummy bracket so that when they become available, you’ll know some approximate angles to ask for.

when I rebuilt my swimgrid a few years ago, I needed new supports, so had them made. To support a SG 34" deep, made out of 1/4" SS, they cost me around $1000. Canadian $, so you should be able to find a welder and get some made quite reasonably.

when I rebuilt my swimgrid a few years ago, I needed new supports, so had them made. To support a SG 34" deep, made out of 1/4" SS, they cost me around $1000. Canadian $, so you should be able to find a welder and get some made quite reasonably.

What he said. You might be able to find replacements but you might spend a lot of time and $$$ to do so. Consider having new ones fabricated locally. I had to do that when we added a larger swim step and if memory serves me they were about $1300. That was for heavy 316 stainless with double thick-wall tubing for support. Definitely much better than the original.

Marty.....................

Bigfish, I have some stainless tubing that I didn't need or use when I redid my SWP. It's 1.25" (I think) and the tubes are 6' long. It may be 1.5" but I won't be able to check the measurements until I get home on Thursday.

I'll be bringing the boat to Portland in March to get a new fly bridge bimini and windows done and could bring it along if you're interested. The price will be right if you need it.

I also have some rub rail left over. It's from Taco and it looks like this...
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/swim-step-support-brackets-35588.html

PM me if you're interested in either the stainless tubes or the rub rail.

Thanks everybody! My old support brackets are bronze I think and very heavy duty. With so many boats destroyed down here I should have asked sooner before they went off to the crusher.. Most likely I'll have new ones made here locally. I'm not in any huge rush. No insurance. Thanks again!

I have a set of four stainless swim step brackets that came off my Californian 34LRC. when I made a new swim step I replaced them. They are made for a transom with a slope of about ten degrees off vertical. I am away from home for another week but if your interested, I can take pictures when I return home.

Sounds great! Ten degrees sounds about right. I'll check. Keep me posted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom