Southwest Florida Charter choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenF

Veteran Member
Thank you all for the advice and tips in response to my query post about Caribbean/Bahamas trawler charter choices for a 2 week trip June 2012.**Based on your input*and the lack of trawlers for charter in those areas*we decided to do the trip out of*Southwest Florida.* Other factors included:* 1) we can drive there from*Atlanta saving the airfare* 2)*there is a decent selection of the type of trawlers we would consider as cruising/liveaboards (that we could actually afford) which is the point of the trip.*

So it's down to:

Chitwood Charters out of Sarasota - has a GB42, had a good experience with them on weekend charter over July 4th this year on a GB36 and gave us a great last minute deal.

Florida Yacht Charters out of Miami or Key West*has a KK42 at their Key West base

Southwest Florida Yacht Charters in Ft. Myers has a KK42 and a Mainship 40.* Chartered twice with them in the late '90s on a KK42 and Gulfstar.* Good operation.*

What is your opinion on pros/cons about doing the run from Sarasota/Ft. Myers to the Keys versus starting the charter in Key West ($1000/wk more for the same boat)?

I haven't chartered from any of these.* I have talked with many charterers that were in the same marina.* The ones that seamed to experience the fewer problems chartered with SWFL Yacht Charters.

You could easily spend two weeks from St. Pete to Naples or Marco without going to the Keys.* The weather will be more predictable up there.* There are good anchorages and destinations.* The Keys in winter are an iffy proposition.* Just MHO.

friends of mine have chartered from SW FL Yachts a year or so ago (mainship 390) and they had a great experience with no issues and were very pleased with them and plan to charter from them again. They are very experienced boaters so I personally trust their opinion.

My wife and I have chartered with SWFY twice and had no problems each time. We chartered a 36 GB for a week and when we had friends join us a GB 42 for 10 days. They are really great people.

Moonstruck wrote:
You could easily spend two weeks from St. Pete to Naples or Marco without going to the Keys.* The weather will be more predictable up there.* There are good anchorages and destinations.* The Keys in winter are an iffy proposition.* Just MHO.
*+1

Have 2 friends who have used SWFL charters and been very happy with the service.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom