How much Prop Speed to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Trying to determine how much Prop Speed I would need to coat my twin shafts. Props were already coated about 3 months ago when I had them tuned and balanced. Not planning on doing the struts, just the shafts. Grand Banks 42" with 1.5" shafts. They sell "kits" at $500 or so but no idea how much coverage I would get from a kit. Boatyard says two kits but that seems like a lot of Prop Speed. But...what do I know???

Propspeed has video clips at their website showing the prep and application process. The timing of the various layers is critical, as well as the surface preparation and having enough on hand to do the job.....I had the same questions and it's not cheap to buy. I decided to have the boatyard do it and they can sweat the details. I get 3+ years of protection with it. A good product when properly applied.

Propspeed has video clips at their website showing the prep and application process. The timing of the various layers is critical, as well as the surface preparation and having enough on hand to do the job.....I had the same questions and it's not cheap to buy. I decided to have the boatyard do it and they can sweat the details. I get 3+ years of protection with it. A good product when properly applied.

I agree, have it done by the experts at haul-out. It is expensive to waste, and tricky to use. The haul-out folk get it in bulk but use it up quick, and are good at it to boot. However, it is definitely worth the cost.

I have twins, 3 blade props are 30 x 26 and shafts are 2". Two kits were more than enough to do all the metal: props, rudders, shafts, struts and the plastic bow thruster prop. If a boatyard is telling you two kits for shafts only then that is absolutely one boatyard you do not want to have do it for you!

I would also suggest you get an experienced contractor to do it. Here in OZ, in theory, only trained & approved people can buy it. In practice you can find a way to buy it. The reason access is tightly controlled is that good performance demands correct application. It isn't something that a DIY guy should take on unless he assisted a pro do it at least once. It isn't rocket science, but you do need to do it right and not make any mistakes.

Last edited:
I did my own. Two inch shafts, 28 inch props. Two kits. I was just into the second kit. Last time I got away with one kit, but it was colder out. This time, I was just barely on the edge of the cure timing. If I did not have prior experience with curing product and such, I would not have had the right judgement on how quickly I needed to work and in how much of an area to do at a time. I made it but just barely. Environment temps make a huge difference. Most folks should probably not do their own. It's your dime, but your also learning on your dime.

If you're going to do it yourself, I'd probably suggest buying none. I'd strongly recommend an experienced yard to apply it. If not going to have a yard to it, I'd probably choose an alternative. The alternatives will not work as well as Prop Speed applied properly, but will do better than poorly applied Prop Speed and do it for less money.

Thanks TF peeps. I really phrased that wrong, going to have the yard do it. Before I knew anything about the product I thought about doing it myself but one look at the application instructions ended that thought. I was talking to the yard manager about getting it done and asked for a cost estimate. He said "maybe two $500 kits and $500 for application off the top of his head. When I went back and looked online I saw the size of the kits it made me wonder if two were needed. Little reason to doubt the guy or yard as they both come with a long list of references and have been good on everything else. In fact he steered me away from some other items that I would have done without him talking me out of them. Will narrow him down tomorrow. Sounds like maybe one isn't quite enough so have to go into two maybe? Maybe he was talking about doing the props again as well. Not sure. Appreciate the comments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom