massive ship run aground in NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda hard to believe he got in that close before anything grounded. Ship looked light.

Plus hardly a massive ship, but definitely missed the buoy till it ran over it. :)

Kinda hard to believe he got in that close before anything grounded. Ship looked light.

I would have to agree with you Mate.

That Fella fishing will have one great story to tell tho!:rofl:

Cheers.

H.

I️ turn my barge around like that when I️ am in the rivers, ground the front and pivot, no big deal, as a matter of fact when I️ slip my Big Boat I️ run the bow into the March and pivot around because the canal is only about 80’ across and my rose is 65’

Last edited:
Not sure why my post is all screwed up but I️ did write it correctly

Their starb anchor appears to be deployed. Didn't seem to slow them down much.

Mechanical, steering gear is my guess.

Are y’all taking about the ship offsouthport ??

"Hey, Guido! Is it red, right, returning to sea, or is it red, right, returning to port?"

The channel *IS* that close right there in Southport. I know the area well. It appears he may have gotten outside of the channel a bit based on the marker seen in the video. It was likely the one circled in red below.

It looks like it was a very low tide at the time. The current right there on the ebb can reach 4kn.

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I saw no sign of the screw working. Looks like they lost the main engine. Tide was in strong ebb (can see the wake to the right of the green marker). Nosed the bow onto the bank, then the ebb tide carried the stern down river (and directly over the marker!!).

Engineer probably screwed up some fuel valving.

I wonder if the marker popped up on the other side.

Shame on the Charlotte Observer. exaggerations!!

shows a tanker moving past a backyard swing set and pier before hitting land. It doesn’t stop there, however. The engines continue to drive the ship forward and the tankers starts to spin completely around, sending someone in a small fishing boat scrambling out of its path.

Read more here: Backyard security video shows massive ship run aground in NC and keep going | Charlotte Observer

1) I would hardly call that "moving past the swing set", which it was 1/4 mile away from.

2) I saw the fishing boat, I saw no 'scrambling' of any kind and the ship came nowhere near any location they were in.

How can I put a pic on ?

That reporting was comical.

Anyone know any more of the story?

Propulsion looked very effective until they performed a handbrake turn.:)

Yeah Bruce, in Tennessee we call that a bootleggers turn.

Last edited:
Thanks Don.Works well with fwd. Not sure I`d try it with a masonry wall at the end of the road.
Rally cars sometimes have to reach a control point at a precise time, they can`t be "early" nor can they stop in sight of the control to delay arrival. One driver was prone to performing a 360 handbrake turn, no stopping, no penalty.

Back
Top Bottom