View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
bshanafelt

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
RE: What do I need to know to buy an autopilot?

We use Comnav for the autopilot. - you can buy a remote that has every control that the main unit has and put it at the 2nd helm, or wander around the boat with it if you choose.

Model is 1001. Fluxgate compass coupled to a rate stabizier so it reacts very quickly. Hydaraulic drive and one size up on the pump, so it will drive the boat adequately even with chunky following seas.

The unit is now 7 years old and works very well. Installation is quite straightforward, as the hydraulic system was already in place, it is just a matter of mounting the parts and connecting them.

Be sure and mount your compass low, centered and a bit astern of your boats pivot point for best reaction response in following seas.

We do have it set up to talk with the chartplotter and I do use that feature alot, although in any tight spots, I will hover over it in case something wierd occurs - so far so good.

I also have a basic remote that gives me the ability to dodge debris from the foredeck or top of the pilothouse - The boat will automatically return to course or correct to intercept the next waypoint after the dodge manuever.
Attached Thumbnails
desol 09 (22).jpg  
bshanafelt is online now   Reply With Quote