View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have to wonder if the proposed bill is aimed less at large and reputable companies like SeaTow and BoatUS, and more at some of the independent operators. There are a number of these around the Tampa Bay area, and some strike me much like lawyers who earn a reputation as "ambulance chasers."
I think it's two things. First, aimed at any unscrupulous, but, second, it is initiated based on a misunderstanding of the industry and the agreements. I don't see it having a great impact on most tow operators. A couple of present or former industry persons have posted here their practices and they would either comply or require very little change.

The only part of this that really bothers me is the inflammatory headline and attention grabbing. However, here is the actual bill.

Salvage of Pleasure Vessels; Designating the “Florida Salvage of Pleasure Vessels Act"; requiring salvors of pleasure vessels to provide a specified written disclosure statement and salvage work estimate; requiring such salvors to obtain customer permission before exceeding the written estimate by more than a specified amount; requiring salvors to post specified signage on their vessels, etc.

Provide estimate, get permission to exceed. Very basic. Just like auto mechanics and like we get with our shipyard we use. A normal business practice for most industries. As to the signage, that's clearly targeting renegade tow boats. It's unusual, but I have heard of a situation where someone called for a tow, on the radio they told someone who asked if they needed help, they had done so. Suddenly, a tow boat showed and towed them, It was not who they'd called or had an agreement with. They were towed and charged and scared not to pay.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote