Foam core semi custom trawler motor sailer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kain_Kelly

I am looking for advice on a semi custom motor sailer. I have a concept I am in the process of testing out for a vertical wind trubine sailboat. How everything I am wanting to build it on a Motor yacht like platform. If there is not a easy way togo about this economicly I will look into the hammer head 54 from Chris Wight, an seeing what he thinks about his disign for this application. I wish there was a easy was to just draft your own. Thanks for any advice! Also I am on the Texas gulf coast so I need to be able to get out of Dodge in less then a day (250nm in 24 hours or less. I know that is a tall order, but I could very well need to move very very quickly.)

Kind of confusing post. Are you going to build it or is it something you want to modify? Probably going to take more that a day at this point...

Kind of confusing post. Are you going to build it or is it something you want to modify? Probably going to take more that a day at this point...
I would like to build from scratch working on semi custom, or if I could completely custom plans. I just don't know how to calculate the needed layup as well as how much foam I would need. Sorry for being confusing.

If you build it yourself from your own design, I suspect you will never be able to buy insurance for it. Hire a capable naval architect or work with one to modify plans he has already drawn.

He will know how thick the foam needs to be, what kind and what kind and how many layers of glass to use.

David

If you build it yourself from your own design, I suspect you will never be able to buy insurance for it. Hire a capable naval architect or work with one to modify plans he has already drawn.

He will know how thick the foam needs to be, what kind and what kind and how many layers of glass to use.

David
Yeah I just need to build a proof of concept first. I also don't know who to go to.

Last edited:
Yeah I just need to build a proof of concept first. I also don't know who to go to.

If you're serious, then go to a Naval Architect. He'll know someone to build it once designed. Are you prepared to pay 2 to 3 times the normal cost of a boat in it's size range?

Hurricane season is about done for the year, but next year's is just around the corner, and there is talk about the "season" possibly lasting longer than it traditionally has, so you have roughly a 6 month window here, not enough to even draw good plans, much less construct a vessel.
I would be haunting coastal junkyards for a good hull to hang some huge outboards on in the event that you need to "get the hell out of Dodge"!
Building your own escape capsule could take years.
Depending of how long you wait and how big the storm is, a water exit may make those choked freeway routes look pretty good.
Ever think about moving to Arizona?

Are you prepared to pay 2 to 3 times the normal cost of a boat in it's size range?

Yes for the sheer pleasure of having built something like this. To me there is a certain achivement in building your own boat and seeing it through till launch. I don't mean to sound difficult, I enjoy building things and I think a sea worthy boat will be fun and extremely challenging.

Yes for the sheer pleasure of having built something like this. To me there is a certain achivement in building your own boat and seeing it through till launch. I don't mean to sound difficult, I enjoy building things and I think a sea worthy boat will be fun and extremely challenging.

That's why I asked. If that doesn't bother you, then no problem. Going in blind to that would be.

Hurricane season is about done for the year, but next year's is just around the corner, and there is talk about the "season" possibly lasting longer than it traditionally has, so you have roughly a 6 month window here, not enough to even draw good plans, much less construct a vessel.
I would be haunting coastal junkyards for a good hull to hang some huge outboards on in the event that you need to "get the hell out of Dodge"!
Building your own escape capsule could take years.
Depending of how long you wait and how big the storm is, a water exit may make those choked freeway routes look pretty good.
Ever think about moving to Arizona?
I am 380 (about 290-300 from nearest possible launch point.) miles inland, I live in Texas oil country. Things a hella lot bigger and just as if not heavier than a boat be moved over the road way. I live out in the country so I have a HOA free place to build it, that is responsibly protected from hurricanes. Granted we have had flooding following droughts which would be my greater of the two concerns. But hey it's a boat it can get wet.... I did the math at 10knots your out of a five day cone in two days from one end to another so in three days at 10 knots you out of the cone and in a area of almost a zero percent chance of being hit. Days before madatory evacuations begin. A sail assistanced tri hybrid with a good bit extra power I am sure could do a lot better than that. I have heard good things about wave piercing hulls speed and fuel wise. I would be thrilled with more then 10 knots faithfully with minimal motor. Just would need to keep the boat stocked for more then four days for me and who ever I am with. (Just in case I need to answer a favor I get called in on.) Adding onto what you said about a water escape I think it is under utilized, if we had more locks on our resiovor lakes we could use ferries to cut down on the road traffic during evacuations.

That's why I asked. If that doesn't bother you, then no problem. Going in blind to that would be.
I have made things like extremely task oriented robot while not as big equally complex. Once I have plans I am going to plan out every pipe wire and floorboard before I cut anything. In my experience planning is everything, as well as sticking to the plan.

Edit:
I aplogize I miss interpreted you post, I never understood why people think building a boat is cheaper then buying used. Maybe compared to the highest of high end new yachts building is cheaper if you use basic methods I would still doubt the final product will be as good.

Last edited:
I have seen his website, he has very nice work. If he wishes to not be contacted out side of his company I will respect that.

I suspect there is no harm asking. Send him a PM through this site. If he is amenable great. But one can only ask.

If you want serious help though I expect some kind of fee would be in order. But ask.

"I would still doubt the final product will be as good."

Todays sail boats are the final product of thousands of years of experience .

"Once I have plans I am going to plan out every pipe wire and floorboard before I cut anything. In my experience planning is everything, as well as sticking to the plan."

Plans of this detail. may cost about 10% of the vessels value , and of course will only be one NA's concept of your desirements.

For large advances model tank testing is usually cheaper than immediate fabrication.

"I would still doubt the final product will be as good."

Todays sail boats are the final product of thousands of years of experience .

"Once I have plans I am going to plan out every pipe wire and floorboard before I cut anything. In my experience planning is everything, as well as sticking to the plan."

Plans of this detail. may cost about 10% of the vessels value , and of course will only be one NA's concept of your desirements.

For large advances model tank testing is usually cheaper than immediate fabrication.
The example I was making was to a cheapest possible without cutting corners backyard build, to a high mid to top of the line new boat.

No disrespect, but do you really need a NA to do that? If there is no legal reason, I know many electrtions and I have also done pipe laying work in the past. Plus laying flooring on a boat would be easy enough, It is mainly a matter of not going in half cocked. I know that there will be well now what type moments still, but a good plan can save a lot of time. I still need to figure out what I am going to do small scale to practice vacuum bagging foam.

There is an old saying among yacht brokers. If you build a "one off," then when you want to sell it, take half off. That applies to a one of a kind custom build from an established builder, selling a back yard build could make your project very expensive.
The "legal reasons" are less important than insurance reasons for most owners. Insurance companies will have a multitude of requirements to insure a back yard build.

There is an old saying among yacht brokers. If you build a "one off," then when you want to sell it, take half off. That applies to a one of a kind custom build from an established builder, selling a back yard build could make your project very expensive.
The "legal reasons" are less important than insurance reasons for most owners. Insurance companies will have a multitude of requirements to insure a back yard build.
I agree, I don't expect to get my money out of it. Aside from a na approval, what else is there to be concerned about, insurance wise. I know most if not all non sketch Marina's in my area require insurance.

Back
Top Bottom