Wagner steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbtapper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady Maria
Vessel Make
1987 CT 35 Sundeck
My Sundeck has Wagner steering pumps on both helms. Sadly, both helms leak somewhat and need repair.
Anyone actually pulled apart one of these units and replaced all the seals? What sort of job is it and how did it turn out? I see repair kits are available on line so that is promising.

Thanks

Travers
CT 35s

I bought the Wagner seal kits for my helm pumps and ram but chickened out on doing it myself. A local hydraulics guy did all three for $100. I removed the ram and pumps, reinstalled and bled myself.

Mine are from the early 70's, brass, but roughly the same. If you are careful, clean and layout the parts as you disassemble, you should have no problem.

I had mine rebuilt at a local hydraulics shop. He said there were lots of little fiddly parts that need to be accounted for. He did the job in less than two hours. I removed it, brought it to his shop and re-installed it back on the boat. That took me all day because it was difficult to access the pump and get wrenches in to tight spots.

If you go at it yourself take photos as you disassemble parts. I have not done mine, no leaks, but I do that with other assemblies. Saves a lot of odd sounds.

I just had my Wagner 701 rebuilt and bench tested by Florida Rigging & Hydraulics in
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. I am very happy with their service and end result!

Back
Top Bottom