monk or MMI monk design 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Good morning
Looking at the monk 36 Seahorse also looked at an MMI 36 Monk design. Looks like Identical boats. One has an Isuzu six diesel the other a Perkins. what can I expect for cruising speed. Owner of the MMI with Perkins says 8 cruise 9 max 10 pushing it.
Thanks
Jim

I would think you would be happy with an economical 7 knots. I am on a 45 foot boat of similar design using two 330 hp engines. I typically cruise 8 - 8.5. My boat was designed by Ed Monk.

Gordon

Good morning
Looking at the monk 36 Seahorse also looked at an MMI 36 Monk design. Looks like Identical boats. One has an Isuzu six diesel the other a Perkins. what can I expect for cruising speed. Owner of the MMI with Perkins says 8 cruise 9 max 10 pushing it.
Thanks
Jim

MMI (Miracle Marine) and Seahorse are the same design as Monk 36. Same boat, same yards (there were 3 that I know of), different importer. The interiors are a little different. My Monk 36 is quite happy at 6.8 knots (7.8 mph) with a single Perkins 6.354 @1800 rpm. You do not get much more speed above that, just a bigger wake.
WOT is only another 1-1.5 knot.
Later Monk 36's came with Cummins 4BT 150 hp then 6BT 210 hp. They cruise maybe a half knot faster but use more fuel.
If it came with Isuzu engine it was either repowered or special order.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom