Manatee windows-seal or replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
I am hopeful i can pick the collective wisdom of this forum. I am looking at a manatee to purchase and the surveyor and I observed the windows were leaking in both the salon, galley and head.

Is ther a good way to seal? The windows appear to have a vinyl frame (was this OEM?) or is replacement the only option.

The option of replacement - what replacement options have you all used?

Then any ideas to fix the damage to the starboard side shelf unit the water damaged caused?

Thanks!

Check the bottom radius track where the movable pane closes for cracks. I thought my port side window was leaking down into the settee storage. I found after talking with another Manatee owner the rub strake was the leak (see photo). After removing the stainless steel it was easy to see the hull deck joint rub strake chalking had failed. it’s a lap joint and it’s hard to believe water can enter the joint vertically but it did on mine and the other Manatee. You can isolate leak test it with a hose.

Attachments

• 00DE2BB7-C30A-4280-BDB1-3535C3F3950D.jpg
    00DE2BB7-C30A-4280-BDB1-3535C3F3950D.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Thank you

A couple of more questions.
1. did you remove the rub rail and then re-install or did you replace it?
2. What caulk did you use?

Paul

The rub rail is the joint that mates the hull to the upper deck, it is a lap joint, the stainless steel rub strake is screwed into the lap over portion of the joint and is in about ten foot sections. I used Sikaflex polyurethane chalk in the lap area and butyl on the stainless steel screws.
Once you remove the s/s you will see the caulk areas, if the caulk pulls away easily those are leak sources areas. Since the joint runs down hill from the bow to the stern the leak can be forward of the interior leak.

Last edited:
More question...

Again thanks for the reply

How long did it take to recauk under the ss strake?
Also, you seem to have intimate knowledge of how the manatees are put together, visual inspection of the cap rail caulk looks like it need some renewing as well. Any hints or tips would be welcome. We are also planning on having the top sides painted. Should We do this recaulking before or after painting? We will have the shop do the painting but I think we can handle the caulk.

Bill is being kind by not mentioning the other Manatee being mine. It’s true about the hull-deck joint is a prime source of leaks. Re- your question about windows, the originals were vinyl units provided by a company in California still making them today. Thanks to UV brittleness, removing them after all this time is nearly impossible without breaking them to pieces. As Bill pointed out, one could smear new caulk around the outside, but it would do nothing for the typical cracks in the track. Here’s a view of one of the corners of my original windows.

Attachments

• 0784CAF2-FE6B-488A-A4E9-6642B62A0817.jpg
    0784CAF2-FE6B-488A-A4E9-6642B62A0817.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 68
Damage below of course.

Attachments

• F875B3BA-65E3-47D1-8116-251C8859A09F.jpg
    F875B3BA-65E3-47D1-8116-251C8859A09F.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 70
A friend replaced his windows on his Manatee in 2015. Removing the old windows found soft areas that needed epoxy to seal. Then "new" holes were cut, sanded and prepped. Then new windows were installed and sealed. In the end, the job looked very good and did not leak. The internal panels below the windows had to be replaced.

Six months ago, he sold the boat but if he can help, I can contact him.

New windows

Larry,

Thanks for the pics

You mentioned the company still sells the windows. Do you know the name? I'm willing to replace regardless just to be safe.

Bill is being kind by not mentioning the other Manatee being mine. It’s true about the hull-deck joint is a prime source of leaks. Re- your question about windows, the originals were vinyl units provided by a company in California still making them today. Thanks to UV brittleness, removing them after all this time is nearly impossible without breaking them to pieces. As Bill pointed out, one could smear new caulk around the outside, but it would do nothing for the typical cracks in the track. Here’s a view of one of the corners of my original windows.

What windows did he replace them with? Any idea where re located them?

Thanks
Paul

The original windows were be GO Industries, bought by Mark Plastics. Here’s the link:

Home -

Since then, Manatee replacement windows have been done by numerous manufacturers all over North America. Some owners prefer Alum frame over vinyl, and at least one boat did stainless steel. Some also chose mitered corners over radius style.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom