1st Trip to the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
I'm new to the trawler life but have 40 years experience on the ocean with sport fishing boats. Leaving from Palm Beach, where should I head to in the Bahamas as my 1st adventure. We can spend 30 days right now. Yeeeha!!

I'm new to the trawler life but have 40 years experience on the ocean with sport fishing boats. Leaving from Palm Beach, where should I head to in the Bahamas as my 1st adventure. We can spend 30 days right now. Yeeeha!!

Can you share the boat and what size crew aboard? I ask because of distance and overnight vs. day, etc.

Crew

My wife and I. Possibly some friends for a few days at a time. We also plan on having the mate who has been with the previous owner the last few years. 53' Selene.

Last edited:
A 53' Selene is a beautiful boat!! Congratulations!

First time?

Get the Dodge Guide and head to the Abacos.

My wife and I. Possibly some friends for a few days at a time. We also plan on having the mate who has been with the previous owner the last few years. 53' Selene.

There are a number of directions and approaches based on your interests. From Palm Beach, crossing to West End is a reasonable crossing to start with. Now, I do preface all of this with some coastal cruising to shakedown the boat and be sure all is fine. From the West End you can ease your way to the Abacos and have a great time. Do a search for Cardude's trip this summer. It was his first time. Our last trip to the Abacos, we enjoyed Green Turtle Cay, Great Guana Cay, Marsh Harbour, and Spanish Wells. I'd recommend from Spanish Wells a trip to Harbour Island. Then perhaps you return by way of Freeport and Lucaya. Or by then you might be ready to venture across to Nassau and maybe even Atlantis. Or leave it until next time. It's a matter of how long you want to spend at each stop.

If you did go to Nassau, then a jump from there to Bimini might be in order, returning to the coast from there, with the Gulf Stream working in your favor as you head to Palm Beach.

There's so much to enjoy in the Bahamas, that it's hard to go wrong.

Your displacement speed being 8 kts or better, you can cross over to West End in daylight hours, check in with customs and the continue to the Abacos. Maybe stop at Allen's Pensacola Cay for the night and then continue to Green Turtle Cay.

Then spend a few days in that area. Munjack Cay is a great place to hang out and explore the beaches. Then wait for the right conditions to go around Whale Cay to get to the Marsh Harbor area.

But with only 30 days you have to watch the weather so you don't get trapped and can't make it back in time. There is the Gulf Stream crossing (both ways) and the short run around Whale Cay that need the right weather. I saw one 10' wave near the Whale Cay passage that spooked my crew. The Island Packet I was on at the time handled it with ease. But I suspect your Selene could handle it as well.

David

My first trip to the Bahamas was to the Abacos. Not sure I understand the reason but I was recommended to start with the Abacos. I was nervous as a cat but I got used to reading the water. There are not a lot of aids to navigation, so that takes some getting used to. Reading the water takes some getting used to. I think the Garmin BlueCharts are better for the Bahamas. The Explorer chart books I think are worth their cost and will help you with planning and navigating. The depths are in meters but they have conversion tables. Don’t want to start any controversy but I would steer clear of Freeport and Nassau due to crime. Look at the Barometer Bob website for crossing forecasts and Abaco weather and such. Prepare but don’t stress too much like I did/do. Bahama cruising is my favorite you will keep going back.

Sounds like a successful first trip over. I agree that avoiding Freeport and Nassau is good. I love Abaco. Easy cruising. The C-Map charts have the Explorer Charts info right on the plotter. I think you learned a lot. Congratulations, and here's hoping you have many more island cruises.

Back
Top Bottom