Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show Finds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
If you went to FLIBS this year, post interesting stuff you saw at the show!

I went aboard the Kadey Krogen 58, as well as the Fleming 65.

I spent some time in the engines tent and saw a new John Deere engine and had an education on Marine Exhaust systems at Marine Exhaust Systems. They do exhaust systems to quieten down bigger engines and their engineering was quite amazing. Anyone who can quiet down a Cat C32 engine so you hear the exhaust water but not the engine is good at their job.

oops, forgot one...
Deck Shoes & Boat Shoes for Men
I saw a boat shoe made of injection molded foam so that it is soft on the inside, sole is grippy, waterproof and won't leave marks on a deck. I was tempted to purchase a pair but will probably buy one off their site.

Greetings,
As we were leaving and walking north along the main dock we saw what appeared to be a WW1 cruiser of some sort. Docked bow in, steel, in the 100' range, with unfaired hull welds and two chunks of 3/4" steel plate protruding on the bow just above the water line. VERY strange. Don't mean to be evasive but can't remember the name or make. Maybe someone on TF knows. I'd like to know the builder AND purpose (expedition yacht perhaps?). I think it was between E and F markers.

RTF - I think that was "New Frontiers" a shadow yacht to carry toys and off duty crew.

Greetings,
Mr. SL. Yup, that's her. Butt ugly from the bow IMO. Thanks. Ugly BUT the spec's are impressive, none the less. I'm living in the wrong lifetime...
New Frontiers - Damen Motor Yacht | superyachts.com

200.gif

Greetings,
Mr. SL. Yup, that's her. Butt ugly from the bow IMO. Thanks. Ugly BUT the spec's are impressive, none the less. I'm living in the wrong lifetime...
New Frontiers - Damen Motor Yacht | superyachts.com

200.gif

Well my dear Mr RTF sometimes design and usability do not meet. I can think of many thing geared for usability more than design and on the opposite side things made to be beautiful but not optimized for usability. When the two meet you get the graal.
But I must admit you are right, this one is ugly... and you are living on the wrong lifetime :D

L.

I'll be hanging out at 657 in the Superyacht tent, West end middle across from Derecktors Booth

:socool:

I spent some time in the engines tent and saw a new John Deere engine and had an education on Marine Exhaust systems at Marine Exhaust Systems. They do exhaust systems to quieten down bigger engines and their engineering was quite amazing. Anyone who can quiet down a Cat C32 engine so you hear the exhaust water but not the engine is good at their job.

That's for sure. Interesting that Marine Exhaust focuses on muffling sound while the other company in exhausts, DeAngelo, focuses on filtration of the exhaust.

Filtration is going to be mandatory for vessels over a certain size by 2021, so the market is emerging for these units. There has always been demand for devices that reduce/eliminate sheen or floating soot from generators. Big white boat owners and guests do not like swimming and playing in dirty water, and some (old, out of tune, etc.) of those big generators can put out serious soot.

That's for sure. Interesting that Marine Exhaust focuses on muffling sound while the other company in exhausts, DeAngelo, focuses on filtration of the exhaust.

Filtration is going to be mandatory for vessels over a certain size by 2021, so the market is emerging for these units. There has always been demand for devices that reduce/eliminate sheen or floating soot from generators. Big white boat owners and guests do not like swimming and playing in dirty water, and some (old, out of tune, etc.) of those big generators can put out serious soot.

Owners of big white boats don't like the black marks or the smell and crew of big white boats don't like trying to keep the black marks off the boat. Fortunately for both, generators are improving as are filtration systems.

A filtration system and a generator and propulsion silencer systems

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 109
Interesting, knowledgable about an unidentified product

Unidentified? Well, yes and no. It's not specific but it's well identified and tested and in use.

Well, I am knowledgeable about Rick's and DeAngelo's solution, SeaClean. It's expensive and it works. I'm familiar with installations on boats 130' and up, mostly 164' and up. It definitely leaves things clean. That said, I don't see it being used or necessary in trawlers. I'm also familiar with the quality of work DeAngelo does.

Now, I'm not as familiar with the solutions from Marine Exhaust Systems. However, anything that can reduce the noise of a CAT gets my attention. I say that as I have friends who are CAT fanatics and then I've been in some boats with them that I would never own as is. I find noise to be so important in terms of enjoyment of cruising. Hatteras with CAT's are specifically the ones I've found most bothersome. Great boats. Great Engines. But if you can't hear to carry on a conversation when underway it negates a lot of that.

The showed me a video of a Cat engine boat where all you hear is the splash of water leaving the boat... I thought it was quite amazing to cancel out all that noise without raising backpressure past Cat's allowed limits. It turns out they were half of the allowed Cat exhaust backpressure limits.

My "unidentified" comment was directed to Mr Firefly in response to his comparison comment.
DeAngelo is the most well known exhaust supplier in the industry, their reputation is earned and well deserved, but they do not manufacture their own fiberglass silencers.

The comment that the DeAngelo system is better than the system I posted a photo of would require knowledge of both systems. The system in the photo is not Marine Muffler. There are at least 4 companies at the show displaying exhaust silencers, of those 4 I am familiar with, only 2 make their own silencers

$.02

Unidentified? Well, yes and no. It's not specific but it's well identified and tested and in use.

Well, I am knowledgeable about Rick's and DeAngelo's solution, SeaClean. It's expensive and it works. I'm familiar with installations on boats 130' and up, mostly 164' and up. It definitely leaves things clean. That said, I don't see it being used or necessary in trawlers. I'm also familiar with the quality of work DeAngelo does.

Now, I'm not as familiar with the solutions from Marine Exhaust Systems. However, anything that can reduce the noise of a CAT gets my attention. I say that as I have friends who are CAT fanatics and then I've been in some boats with them that I would never own as is. I find noise to be so important in terms of enjoyment of cruising. Hatteras with CAT's are specifically the ones I've found most bothersome. Great boats. Great Engines. But if you can't hear to carry on a conversation when underway it negates a lot of that.

Last edited:
The showed me a video of a Cat engine boat where all you hear is the splash of water leaving the boat... I thought it was quite amazing to cancel out all that noise without raising backpressure past Cat's allowed limits. It turns out they were half of the allowed Cat exhaust backpressure limits.

I'd like to see the difference in performance with and without the muffler system even though the backpressure is well within CAT's limits. I know they systems I've seen on high performance boats definitely reduced speed. I don't know on a heavier and more traditional boat. I suspect any difference is very minor.

When I was a kid, there were a couple of boats on the lake that were legal to run only in races. One was an outboard, one an inboard jet. They both ran without covers on them. Their owners would periodically get out late afternoon on a smooth lake without the mufflers. They chose when they thought there would be no game wardens on the lake. There was a very significant speed difference on those boats and on the other more legal high performance boats on the lake. Obviously that was not today's muffler technology either.

Just in.... fresh from my trusted source... :)

"Reducing exhaust noise is a big part of the SeaClean filtration system as well because owners are as sensitive to noise as they are soot, sheens, and smells."

Greetings,
Mr. BB. I must take a slight bit of umbrage at your comment that the SeaClean (SC) system is "expensive". It is my understanding that SC is quite competitively priced in comparison with the only other system potentially worth buying but might seem expensive because SC doesn't just sell a box of parts like all the others do, they sell, install, AND commission a custom engineered system that goes from the turbo to the through hull. No IKEA involved.

Same comment applies, to make a comparison one would need to be familiar with both the DeAngelo filtration system and the one pictured

How do you "know" the DeAngelo system is "better?"

The photo I posted is of a soot filtration system and silencer for a generator, and separately a silencer for a propulsion system.

No worries, just curious

Greetings,
Mr. K. Apologies. Was commenting on the "filtration" technology only (SeaClean).

Greetings,
Mr. BB. I must take a slight bit of umbrage at your comment that the SeaClean (SC) system is "expensive". .

Expensive is a matter of point of reference. Not saying they're not competitive or their price is unreasonable. Owners of 164' yachts wouldn't worry about the expense. I think most owners of boats or trawler type boats, other than perhaps the owner of a new Nordhavn 62, would find them "expensive."

I'm fully aware of what they do and deliver and think they provide an excellent service. One captain I know with the system on the boat he runs, says the owner will never have another boat without it.

I think certain things became accepted by boaters years ago and no longer need to be. Noise and soot are a couple. Rolling is another.

Greetings,
Mr. K. Dynamic, dual-homed subsystem destabilization coupled with invalidated, multiple protocol signal manipulation can result in temporary, unregistered timing lockout. Keep in mind as well that deprecated, fatal media de-synchronisation can also result in delayed, dynamic service intrusion. Software glitches (Permanent, illegal operation inconsistency) or redundant, non-static configuration incongruity are totally eliminated and modified by unfiltered, extraneous loading disturbance variations by means of localized, immediate request problem solving thus modifying AND controlling ANY undetermined, deprecated decryption signal.

So, as they say...Walla!

It is quite normal human behavior to promote a system or service one has invested in. To suggest there may be a comparable or better system with a comparable or better company providing installation and service might undermine a persons purchasing decision, or their perception on a potential purchase, or just an opinion based on hearsay, public relations and advertising.

By claiming that one system is: "A much better system" than an unidentified system is an interesting observation.

A fact is that a very high percentage of Trawler types that frequent this site will never need to install one of these systems. Our children might, but not any time in the foreseeable future.

Many will however need risers, mixers and silencers, and an objective opinion of quality, performance, service and availability would be valuable information, if based on objective and accurate information.

Greetings,
Mr. K. Dynamic, dual-homed subsystem destabilization coupled with invalidated, multiple protocol signal manipulation can result in temporary, unregistered timing lockout. Keep in mind as well that deprecated, fatal media de-synchronisation can also result in delayed, dynamic service intrusion. Software glitches (Permanent, illegal operation inconsistency) or redundant, non-static configuration incongruity are totally eliminated and modified by unfiltered, extraneous loading disturbance variations by means of localized, immediate request problem solving thus modifying AND controlling ANY undetermined, deprecated decryption signal.

So, as they say...Walla!

It is quite normal human behavior to promote a system or service one has invested in. To suggest there may be a comparable or better system with a comparable or better company providing installation and service might undermine a persons purchasing decision, or their perception on a potential purchase, or just an opinion based on hearsay, public relations and advertising.

By claiming that one system is: "A much better system" than an unidentified system is an interesting observation.

A fact is that a very high percentage of Trawler types that frequent this site will never need to install one of these systems. Our children might, but not any time in the foreseeable future.

Many will however need risers, mixers and silencers, and an objective opinion of quality, performance, service and availability would be valuable information, if based on objective and accurate information.

So yours is the only objective opinion? What is your relationship with Marine Exhaust? Neither you nor RTF seem totally objective and barring undisclosed relationships with companies I have no problem with opinions, subjective expressions of belief.

Now, my opinion was objective and I was very clear that I didn't have experience with Marine Exhaust. On the other hand, I do feel Deangelo does excellent work and their product is good and this is based on first hand knowledge.

I think it's great that we have multiple suppliers of exhaust services.

Who is at 657?

Hello Mr BandB,

I never offered an opinion or made a recommendation, I just questioned a comment I thought was perhaps unfounded. I also agreed with you and Mr F by saying "DeAngelo's reputation is earned and well deserved," and I will add that the quality and service at Marine Exhaust is also well deserved. Marine Exhaust until recently actually had a DeAngelo working there. The quality and performance of their product can be seen in many a Custom Sportfish built in the Stuart area where they have a very strong presence.

Marine Exhaust makes their own fiberglass mufflers, De'Angelo does not, which I stated as fact, not opinion.

We all have opinions, and I too have no problem with them when presented as opinion.

As for my relationships with these companies, I know people at DeAngelo and until recently at Marine Exhaust, I do not now, nor have I ever worked at either. I do however supply some components to that market segment.

I also agree that multiple suppliers create healthy competition which improves product and service and keeps prices competitive, the way a free market is supposed to work.

So yours is the only objective opinion? What is your relationship with Marine Exhaust? Neither you nor RTF seem totally objective and barring undisclosed relationships with companies I have no problem with opinions, subjective expressions of belief.

Now, my opinion was objective and I was very clear that I didn't have experience with Marine Exhaust. On the other hand, I do feel Deangelo does excellent work and their product is good and this is based on first hand knowledge.

I think it's great that we have multiple suppliers of exhaust services.

Who is at 657?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom