Season is over (too) early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Took the boat to the yard today to be hauled. Beautifull calm seas powerboat weather and a really nice three hour run to the yard. Could have kept her in another two weeks or so but family obligations intrude. Ah well :sniff:. It was a great season, intense but too short as always. There is always next year (til there isn't). Looking forward to fall maintainance and fall and winter improvement projects, which are almost as fun as using her.
smile.gif

Dave, you should truck your boat over to the PNW and go boating in the rain for the winter.
Ron

dwhatty wrote:

Looking forward to fall maintainance and fall and winter improvement projects, which are almost as fun as using her.
smile.gif

That's the spirit!

David, it is sad to put the boat away, but it's the price paid for boating in such a great area.* Maine is beautiful year round.* It is one of the places I wouldn't mind living.

As for me, like Walt. it will be the same old boring sun every day.* I'll tell you that the reflection off the aqua blue water and white sand beaches is sometimes just unbearable.* I will send pictures, if the glare isn't too bad.

Hope to get up your way next summer.* Jack may come with me.* He needs a vacation.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 19th of September 2011 07:33:57 PM

dwhatty wrote:
Took the boat to the yard today to be hauled. Beautifull calm seas powerboat weather and a really nice three hour run to the yard. Could have kept her in another two weeks or so but family obligations intrude. Ah well :sniff:. It was a great season, intense but too short as always. There is always next year (til there isn't). Looking forward to fall maintainance and fall and winter improvement projects, which are almost as fun as using her.
smile.gif

David - Wife and I may visit Camden some week this winter.* What yard / town*do you use for haul and winter storage... Wayfarer?**Boating here in SF*Bay and Delta is year round.*- Art

Moonstruck wrote:
As for me, like Walt. it will be the same old boring sun every day.* I'll tell you that the reflection off the aqua blue water and white sand beaches is sometimes just unbearable.* I will send pictures, if the glare isn't too bad.
I feel so bad for you both.*
download.spark

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 05:54:06 AM

Art wrote:David - Wife and I may visit Camden some week this winter.* What yard / town*do you use for haul and winter storage... Wayfarer?**Boating here in SF*Bay and Delta is year round.*- Art
Art: Wafarer is too high price spread for us. We use a small, mostly do it yourself, yard in Blue Hill (Webber's Cove Boatyard). 3 hour run from our mooring. Would love to use Billings Diesel & Marine in Stonington as it is on Deer Isle and only 5 mins from us by car and about an hour from our mooring by water. But Billings, too, is pricey to store a boat and won't let you do work on your boat below the toe rail. We used to have Billings haul and trailer our old 40' woody to a boatshed at our house each year at a very reasonable rate but our IG is too tall to go over the road.

dwhatty wrote:
Took the boat to the yard today to be hauled.
*I can't believe the season is over for you already! You, however, used your boat continuously for the time you had. (Summer) I'll bet I only used my boat one tenth of that.

I am interested, however,* now that you have put in a couple of seasons cruising the IG 32, how do you like it for a cruising couple? Likes/dislikes?

Good luck with the projects this winter. :worship:

Do you always haul your boat for the winter?

I keep mine in the water.

I can never seem to get all the water out of everywhere it gets. If I keep her in the water the bilge doesn't freeze. That freeze and thaw thing concerns me you know the expansion and contraction

But I try to use it all winter long. We have an Ice free port.

The subsistence*Opilio crab season opens the first of October.

SD

I've been doing that for some time now but last year the electric heat bill convinced me to pickle it this year. Want to go over to Etolin Is for a day or so before shutting down.

SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:
Took the boat to the yard today to be hauled.
*I can't believe the season is over for you already! You, however, used your boat continuously for the time you had. (Summer) I'll bet I only used my boat one tenth of that.

I am interested, however,* now that you have put in a couple of seasons cruising the IG 32, how do you like it for a cruising couple? Likes/dislikes?

Good luck with the projects this winter. :worship:

Walt:

Yes, we used her a lot. Much more than the mere 120 engine hours we put on her in four months would indicate. She is our summer "cabin" and we hang out on her in the harbor during the day and/or overnight when we aren't out cruising or taking a day putt. Emily also uses her as a staging platform for day sailing her Ensign as the two boats are moored close to each other. We intend to cruise her more next season now that I am no longer tied to an office and clients.

We like the boat a lot. Layout, both inside and out, is almost ideal for a cruising couple approaching geriatric status and their one large dog. Scads of usable exterior for a boat this small, what with the walkaround decks, Europa overhangs and flybridge.

Could use more storage and the "island queen" berth could be more easily and gracefully entered and exited (as yours can be). The head and shower are a bit cramped for two tall people. And it would be nice to have a guest cabin for the occasional overnight guests. Nothing a larger boat couldn't remedy, but that is not in the cards. She's a great "drinks 6, eats 4 and sleeps 2" boat for cruising for a week or so. Coming from a larger 1930's boat with a simple 12 volt system, the IG packs a lot of systems and amenities into 32 feet.

Don't particularly like the way she handles in a following sea. Not a boat I am comfortable to be out in when its blowing 25-30 with sharp, steep seas.

The cabinet and fibreglass work is "okay", not great but not too bad. Pet peeve: the teak plywood used throughout, but especially in the galley area, did not have its edges sealed with epoxy, or whatever, before installation so it tends to wick up moisture and stain.

Satinless steel quality throughout the boat is also just "okay".

Love the Cummins 330 6bta so far. Easily serviced locally. Good power when needed (hit 13.2kts at 2700 rpm on our final "blowout" sprint and we might get a bit more if we could get the last 100 rpm out of her. I guess that we miscalculated slightly and overpitched her on last prop servicing). Fuel burn is acceptable at 2.9 gph at our normal cruise of 8 kts/1600 rpm).

Her profile, due to the flybridge, is a bit too tall for her length in my opinion.

I guess the final comment on how we feel about the boat is that we both hate to get off of her and we always look back at her when we leave.

I can't wait for the season to be over here in South Florida, hurricane season that is!
Actually around here we call winter 'in season' as visitors come south to get warm, but the locals would like it to get cooler sooner. I saw the weather report this moning and they talked about the first offical day of fall, but we will not feel that. The forecaster said it will not be until Nov 26th that the average high temperature falls below 80, and I was scuba diving last Saturday, water temperature is 86.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom