Moving to single lever control, can you use the same cable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksceviour

Vessel Name
Moderation
Vessel Make
Sea Lord 35
My wife is asking for a single lever control for the trawler. I found it a nice feature on another boat I operated so why not? Haven't downloaded any install manuals yet to read however in the meantime;

The big question...

Can I keep any of the existing cable hardware if I go from a Morse dual to a Morse single lever system or is it a complete new run? Sure would be nice if the existing just hooks up to the new single lever...but who am I kidding right? That would be crazy to think things could be that simple. It's a boat...has to be complicated and expensive.

Upper and lower helms? Or just a single helm? Makes a big difference in complexity going to single lever. Two stations much more complex.

I would go with Kobelt rather than Morse/Teleflex. Your existing cables will work with either.

So why Kobelt? I've never heard of a problem with the Morse system...course that doesn't say much.

Kobelt are much more robust construction. I have never seen a Kobelt with the ubiquitous Match book folded and stuck between the lever and housing to keep handle from moving. Can't say that about Morse...

Ha ha, ok, check the anti match book design of Kobelt. I'll look them up as well.

On my last boat, a trawler named "Boomarang" I converted from 2-station Morse twin controls to Kobelt 2091/2093 single lever controls. They consist of a 'master' control lever that should connect right to your existing 3300 or 4300 series engine/transmission control cables, and a 'slave' control lever connected to the 'master' by special low-friction cables that synchronize the levers with chains and sprockets. I believe only Felsted makes these cables and they are available from Kobelt dealers in whatever length you require.

Note: Only the 'master' control is capable of disengaging the shifter from the throttle for revving the engine in neutral. These controls are smooth and reliable.

Image.aspx

I found the Teleflex 2-Station Single-Lever controls to be overly complicated and even more expensive than Kobelt, which are NOT inexpensive.

image7.jpg

While you are at it, I would definitely recommend replacing the existing control cables if there is ANY friction or slop. I used Glendinning Pro-X.

KISS, Why not look at my invention of a single lever Morse 1710 series with an incorporated rocker switch for your bow thruster.
It truly is a single lever control, same you have cables will do, some simple wiring and Roberts your brothers nephew !
Contact Parks Masterson at Hopcar marine for a keen price and if you've any difficulty figuring out the simple wiring drop me a private message.

On my last boat, a trawler named "Boomarang" I converted from 2-station Morse twin controls to Kobelt 2091/2093 single lever controls. They consist of a 'master' control lever that should connect right to your existing 3300 or 4300 series engine/transmission control cables, and a 'slave' control lever connected to the 'master' by special low-friction cables that synchronize the levers with chains and sprockets. I believe only Felsted makes these cables and they are available from Kobelt dealers in whatever length you require.

Note: Only the 'master' control is capable of disengaging the shifter from the throttle for revving the engine in neutral. These controls are smooth and reliable.

Image.aspx

I have these on my boat. Between the pilothouse and the stern docking station the cable length must be over 40' with a number of sweeping bends. Part of what makes this system so nice is that it's a pull/ pull. Whichever way you are moving the lever, you are pulling a cable instead of pushing which takes more effort.

Ted

Excellent input guys. Hadn't considered the Kobelt so I'm glad I posted here first. Trying to track down a place in Canada that sells them.

This is an interesting thread. I have single lever Morse controls on the pilot house and flybridge. They are a disaster waiting to happen. Twice the port flybridge control has come apart and partially jammed while maneuvering in tight spaces with the engine in gear. Then of course the pilot house control I s also locked out. Quick action is required to recognize the situation (not as easy as you might think since the engine was in idle so no visible wash and the levers still moved so you still think there is some control) Had to shut down the engine and dock with starboard engine only. Last time it happened I was approaching a dock in 25knots wind during preparation for the hurricane that was approaching. That was a CF that I was not proud of. I was single handing a 52' boat but did have someone on the dock to catch the line.
Anyway. I was considering installing electronic controls. The existing Morse mechanical cable runs are behind bulkheads and deck heads and cable tied to bundles and races that are also jammed full of electric runs. Would be a real job to replace the Morse cables so I was trying to avoid that.
Glendinning electronic controls would cost about $6k in parts. I wonder how much the Kobalt cable system would cost for dual station?
Also, with electronics adding a third aft station would be an easy installation. Not so with cables.

We went the opposite way. Blue Sky had a single lever Twin Disc electronic system that died a couple of years ago. Single station.

When researching it was obvious that for a single station the cost of electronic controls were cost prohibitive so we looked at mechanical, single or dual control, with no preference going in.

We ended up with dual controls from Kobelt. After looking at the innards of the Morse and Kobelt controls, it was immediately obvious which was better designed and built. Having said that, I don't know if the Morse controls
suffer more breakdowns than Kobelt.

But the Kobelt levers are very smooth and almost frictionless to use; we also replaced the cables while we were at it so that would help as well.

Kobelt is a Canadian company located in the lower mainland BC area.

Kobelt.Controls.Steering.Thrusters.Stabilizers.Disc.Brakes.Accu-Steer

Another vote for the Kobelt controls.
Well built, and they don’t corrode like the Morse does.
There are several ways to hook them up, you need to determine which way is best for your situation.
There’s a good deal on eBay right now for control heads, your existing cables should work, but if it were mine, it would get new cables too!

This is admittedly off topic, but I looked into converting to electronic and spent some time talking with Kobelt and Glendinning at the Miami boat show. I decided if I did, I'd go with Glendinning because of the excellent service and advice I got from them on 30 year old equipment, plus they are a US company. As we begin preparing getting back in the game cruising wise, I will spec their system if we go the new boat route. Of course another advantage was that I have had the chance to use them a couple of times on other people's boats.

However, closer to on-topic, Glendinning has a "Smart Actuator" system that allows you the benefits of electronic controls in an existing hydraulic or cable system. It has manual back up capability if the electrical goes bad. Pretty slick, I wanted to add it to my Hynautic hydraulic shift and throttle system but never got around to it.

Reviving an old thread here, as it contains relevant information to my query.
I want to add a third station to my existing Kobelt 2091/2093 controls.
I already have the major parts, but can’t figure how the second set of pull-pull cables tie in?

Hello,
I can only speak about my own system which is single engine boat with Morse controls in the saloon and also on the flybridge.
I have a simple Morse pull and turn 90' 'changeover' switch from the saloon to the flybridge controls and once engaged the other control is locked out and can't be accidentally engaged.
I've never had a problem with Morse controls giving any trouble at all.
I used the Morse 1750 single lever with the 'trim & tilt' rocker switch.
Instead of operating as a trim and tilt switch I wired it through a solenoid to operate the 95kg bow thruster.
I use the single lever as normal throttle forward/reverse control and the electrical rocker switch to activate the bow thruster, down for port, up for starboard.
I also 'fenced' the rudder and with a little practice I can virtually make the boat go sideways into the marina space.
I bought the Morse controls from Parks Masterson and I can fully recommend him for a top class service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Irish! Unfortunately I can’t help anymore. I made so much money off your project that I sold the company and retired! ��

Hi Parks.
We all wish you a long life and every happiness in your retirement. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance and work with you.

Cigatoo, unfortunately with me living onboard in France it was difficult to shop more regularly with Parks because of shipping and customs duties, but when I needed to 'think out of the box' and needed help Parks was the man who came to the fore based on his long experience and I fully respect that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom