ActiveCaptain Mobile App

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just spent a half hour with Garmin tech support getting it working on my Android device. Here is what I learned:

1) Screen name - needs to be unique but no error message other than cannot log into the app. Garmin is going to correct now that we figured that out, but it might take a few days. So, best not to use your first name unless you append a bunch of random numbers.
2) If you don't have Garmin charts, the base map is barely usable, with many of the AC icons quite far inland instead of near where they should be. Without a Garmin Android app, the new AC app seems only to be useful if you have a Garmin chartplotter to pair it with.

I will be sticking with the AC web live map for now...

I created an account, but could not log in. Only got a message to see Garmin support.

I'll stick to MX Mariner for now. It has the ActiveCaptain markers.

What I found interesting here was the positioning/branding of the product. It is called "ActiveCaptain" yet it does a lot of things that haven't been associated with what I think of as AC.

The AC-classic I think of is one one part of the app, and it doesn't even get top-billing in the list of features. So it sounds to me like the Garmin app, with AC functionality included, but branded as AC rather than Garmin.

I've never been any good at reading tea leaves so I don't know quite what to make of this.

Now frankly I don't really care about this. Just makes me go "Hmm..."

Do I understand the current status correctly -
Used to be able to access AC online via website - I don't see a way to do that anymore - have to have a program or app???

I have a Raymarine plotter and cruise 4-6 wks / season.
Not worth it to me to purchase a separate program just for access
Found the website useful for planning
And found the OLD AC Android app useful while underway (especially w/ ability to download chart tiles) but chart updates stopped a couple of yrs ago so I've basically stopped using AC underway.

My impression is that early access for many desirable until they built a solid database now approach is limit and charge for access.
Earned my hat w/ postings but now find I can't access the info... :facepalm:

Still works for me, just tried it.

But uses your old active captain password, not your Garmin app password.

Back
Top Bottom