What happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I just installed a new Raritan water heater , Yamaha 3HM35F engine. The electric works just fine, hot and cold water runs great. FW hoses are connected up. Couple of days later started engine and the alarm came on. Think did I connect the FW in and out correctly. Does it make any difference which way the FW flows through the heater? Could it be an airlock? If so what should I do. Appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks

I just installed a new Raritan water heater , Yamaha 3HM35F engine. The electric works just fine, hot and cold water runs great. FW hoses are connected up. Couple of days later started engine and the alarm came on. Think did I connect the FW in and out correctly. Does it make any difference which way the FW flows through the heater? Could it be an airlock? If so what should I do. Appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks

Probably an air lock. No difference in "direction" of flow.

Find the highest point in the entire engine/water heater system as a whole and bleed out any air.

If you didn't add any coolant, you'll probably need that, too, to account for the new hoses and exchanger volume.

Thank you for your reply

Along the lines of BH above, was the alarm sounding for engine heat? Have you checked the coolant level?

Let us know what you find.

Thanks all. Problem solved. The tank was full of coolant when I finished the job, but when I started the engine all the coolant went into the new hoses and heater coils leaving the tank almost empty. Topped off the coolant and all went well. Thanks again.

Some of the HW tanks have an anti-scald valve built in that shuts down the circulating water at a preset temperature.

These do require the proper direction of engine circ water flow.

Do not put one of these in series with a box heater.

Some of the HW tanks have an anti-scald valve built in that shuts down the circulating water at a preset temperature.

These do require the proper direction of engine circ water flow.

Do not put one of these in series with a box heater.

Good point. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom