Galley stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
Some thoughts on useful cookware.

Approx. 20 years ago we bought a set of stainless nesting pots/pans, at the time marketed only (I think) by the Welcome Aboard boat-shopping magazine thing. That has turned out to be a really good find. Heavy bottom, very even heating, doesn't take up much storage space, etc. We didn't have as much galley space on that (previous) boat, so storage was a concern... but I wasn't really anxious to sacrifice cooking utility.

At the time, it looked like it was all made by Cuisinart, or at least by the same factory but using the Fribo patent for removable handles. (Cuisinart used to make a "Stowaway" set, and their 16, 18, 20, and 24 cm lids made for their current similar stainless pots and pans fit perfectly.) Now, Magma offers the same kind of nesting set, some additional pieces, and also in an induction-ready version.

Some links, if it helps, maybe useful for anyone setting up their new galley:

Cookware Set 8-Pc.-Welcome Aboard

Cookware

-Chris

Cool looking product. Thanks.

We have been using the Magma nesting cookware for a few years, and it has been great.

Another useful product: an electric pressure cooker, in our case an Instant Pot. http://instantpot.com/

We already have a small electric slow cooker on board, with a removable crockery insert for easier cleaning... and that's been handy for one-pot meals, pot-luck contributions at dock parties, etc...

But we've also used pressure cookers for years, and I like being able to whip up a pot roast or brisket or whatever within a couple hours or so... and the slow cooker doesn't do that. Our latest on-the-stove pressure cooker finally crapped out, and some conversation on Cruisers Forum surfaced the Instant Pot as a possibility, so we got a 6-qt model, works great.

Tried it on the boat, though, and it was just a tad huge for our galley storage situation (the base and the lid adds significantly to the size of the unit, compared to a stove-top presssure cooker).

As it happens, though, IP just introduced a smaller 3-qt model, it arrived today, and seems like it'll be fine for our on-board use. Instructions say to not load it over 2/3 full for pressure cooking, not more than 1/2 full for something like rice... but it still looks like it'll easily handle a 2 to 2-1/2 lb roast or brisket or whatever.

-Chris

My favorite galley stuff gets used in my 3 main cooking devices: grill, microwave and electric skillet. No genset needed for any of the 3.

51lWiOKTR9L._SL1200_.jpg

The electric skillet is ceramic coated and cleans up beautifully. It's small enough to run on the inverter and stows easily below the oven. I like it so much, I now have 2 more for home.

My favorite galley stuff gets used in my 3 main cooking devices: grill, microwave and electric skillet. No genset needed for any of the 3.

The electric skillet is ceramic coated and cleans up beautifully. It's small enough to run on the inverter...

Good point. I think I can power the IP with the inverter, too, but haven't tried it yet...

-Chris

The nesting pots with removable handles are a great space-saver. We also use an Instant Pot all the time. It runs great off the inverter, and can be used underway if seas aren't too rough. Great to have dinner all ready when you enter the anchorage!

Cooking on a boat!

I am hoping to keep this thread going for those of us that enjoy cooking on our trawlers. Please feel free to share your meals here, share tips and suggestions, and ask questions to make cooking on a boat easier and better.

31957165_10216978288635110_6386214729580281856_o.jpg

Convection vs Conventional Ovens

I recently bought a 1974 Marine Trader DC 34 and am working on redoing the kitchen. Instead of putting in an expensive electric or propane oven, I decided to try a convection oven. I made a pizza but the cheese was a little burnt. I am still working on learning how to adjust from conventional to convectional. I was wondering if anyone else chose to do this and what your experiences have been?

31964130_10216978288235100_5684790387676282880_o.jpg

31950433_10216978287195074_8733059695624847360_o.jpg

We have a nice galley but over 70% of our meals we cook in a multi pot

the Pizza looks tasty

What is a multi pot?

Nice, I am have to add one of those!

I've merged BillZe's new thread with an existing thread.

we use the 3 qt insta pot .it's enough for us .haven't had the gas on yet .a lot of the things my wife wants to cook require 10 mins in a oven or on a grill. we have a small magma and a larger west marine we may try to use instead of the stove.

I have a Weber grill that I set up on my mid deck. I love having the ability to grill, especially on nights when bands are playing at my marina. I can grill and enjoy the music at the same time. I also added a fishing board for food prep.

IMG_5051.jpg

Best thing ever imho

Ours is same same but different.
https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/tefal-pressure-cooker-cy4000/

Been using it twice a week for 5 years or more and would buy another in a heartbeat if it died.

Curries, pulled pork, corned beef, stews, soups, all good.

Same here with a similar Cuisinart model that I primarily use at home. Best cooking device since the BBQ grill!

Pork roast, corned beef, applesauce, SW Baked Beans, beef stew...it browns then cooks, it's fast, easy and delicious.

Cast iron cookware we would not be without.
We have a Dutch oven and a French pan that we have had forever
Constant even heat, something we can't get with aluminium or S/S cookwear.

A German grocery store here called Aldi has them occasionally, baked enamel, look and perform the same as expensive Le Creuset ones but for under $30.

pjPMs.jpg

15" pizza stone cut down to fit our 13" Magma. Great pizza but even better steaks, pork roasts, chops, lobster and fish. No splatter or flare-ups

Attachments

• PIZZA FINAL.jpg
    PIZZA FINAL.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
That's a great idea, Wambo! Do you just burn and brush it off when you're done grilling?

If you don't want to buy a pizza stone we used large ceramic floor tiles we had leftover from a build.
Easier clean as the face is glossy.

We have Aldi here, I will have to check for them

If you don't want to buy a pizza stone we used large ceramic floor tiles we had leftover from a build.
Easier clean as the face is glossy.

Just a word of caution. Some glaze's are toxic to people. Others would be marked food safe iirc.

Thanks! It was good!

I have a Weber grill that I set up on my mid deck. I love having the ability to grill, especially on nights when bands are playing at my marina. I can grill and enjoy the music at the same time. I also added a fishing board for food prep.

IMG_5051.jpg

How did you attach the Weber Q grill to your rail?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom