Romsdal Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know where you can get one.

yup, that is the one I am lusting for:)

Torsk

Hi All,

I have just joined this site to share some great news.

"Torsk" is now on the way to a new home in Australia and cruising the Southern oceans.

Cheers Garry

Attachments

• 20170710_133714_resized.jpg
    20170710_133714_resized.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 224
  • image-0-02-05-0413ab51f0c996b0764d18b16de7294f7ec9ebec5e0550ae6c0d50ff366f3791-V.jpg
    image-0-02-05-0413ab51f0c996b0764d18b16de7294f7ec9ebec5e0550ae6c0d50ff366f3791-V.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 250
Hi All,

"Torsk" is now on the way to a new home in Australia and cruising the Southern oceans.

Cheers Garry

Nice to know that Delfin's sister ship is headed to a good home!

What magnificent vessels! :thumb:

Welcome to the forum, Torsk!

We need more pics for those of us with little boats who live vicariously through you guys.

Last edited:
Thanks Delfin,

I have watched this site for a while and learn't lots and you have a beautiful ship with amazing capabilities,I believe these 2 vessels are unique in this world, well done with all work in the refit and hope to talk more in the future after Torsk arrives in Australia for a refit and a few Mods.
Cheers.

Thanks Delfin,

I have watched this site for a while and learn't lots and you have a beautiful ship with amazing capabilities,I believe these 2 vessels are unique in this world, well done with all work in the refit and hope to talk more in the future after Torsk arrives in Australia for a refit and a few Mods.
Cheers.

What aspects of these vessel is unique ?

Hi Ulysses,

You probably know why Delfin and Torsk are unique as I believe there are only two 55' steel Romsdal vessels to that design that are sailing the seas.
The same as your vessel is unique as it is 53' and I don't believe there is any other steel Romsdal vessel that length sailing the seas.
Cheers Mate.

Hi Ulysses,

You probably know why Delfin and Torsk are unique as I believe there are only two 55' steel Romsdal vessels to that design that are sailing the seas.
The same as your vessel is unique as it is 53' and I don't believe there is any other steel Romsdal vessel that length sailing the seas.
Cheers Mate.

Yes, I was not disagreeing in any way of their uniqueness. I was just wondering what in particular you found to be their most unique traits. I wish you the best of cruising and many great adventures on your new boat. May you serve each other well for many years.

Sorry for any misunderstanding that was not intended, I believe these vessels are unique in their own way and from my perspective they look beautiful with great lines above and below the water line as well as being steel round bilge they are strong and a sea kindly vessel, a little roll maybe but very Gutsy, "Take Anywhere" with confidence a real "little ship" The other side also is that they are not a production line vessel, one does not see this kind of vessel every day, something different and Proven, I haven't seen any built here in Australia. I hope that explains a little with my thoughts.
Thanks for your kind words and I hope you are enjoying cruising with your unique ship as much as I will be. Cheers.

I certainly agree with all you said. I have always appreciated a nice rounded stern in both my boat and other endeavors. I think your use of "proven" sums it up. Once again, the best of luck and enjoyment with her.

Hi Al from FlyWright.
Thanks for the "Welcome Aboard" much appreciated.
Cheers.

Romsdal Trawler "Torsk"

Hi All,

A few photos of the progress on the refit on "Torsk" in Australia.

Attachments

• 530425391.jpg
    530425391.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20170920_134244.jpg
    IMG_20170920_134244.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20171011_120335.jpg
    IMG_20171011_120335.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20171011_120414.jpg
    IMG_20171011_120414.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20171024_111311.jpg
    IMG_20171024_111311.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 172
Garry it is great to see Torsk found an owner that has the means to bring her back. Belated welcome to the forum.

Hi All,

Cheers Garry

Hi, welcome TF and congratulations on the new great vessel.

Do you know what the name "Torsk" means?

It is fish in the Baltic Sea and the North Sea here. As a "Gadus morhua" latin name and skandinavian name is Torsk, i think englis name is maby "Cod fish"

th

NBs

Last edited:
Torsk

Glad to see she has a new home! I had the privilege of spending many hours in the crow's nest as a kid. Awesome place to spend time during the summers! I remember when they cut a hole in the side and installed the Gardner Diesel! She is a beauty, congratulations

Torsk

For those that didn't know, that was the 2nd Torsk owned by the Willie family. The first was wood as I recall(many moons ago so memory could be fading) and was purchased by the editor of Norwesting magazine which is long gone. Both were beautiful ships

These ships are awesome. Sure would like to have the wherewithall to take one on. It’s great that she’ll soon be a proud lady again.

Torsk

Thanks all for your positive comments.

Thanks to "Oceanstate" for that info you sent and I would like to talk more in the future vie email about your time on "Torsk"

See a few more progress photos, all will be finished in a few more days ready to launch.

Attachments

• 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 531361375.jpg
    531361375.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 531361386_2.jpg
    531361386_2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 175
First a beautiful boat and truly one made to explore the world.

Since cod was the fish that changed the world, Torsk, is certainly an appropriate name.

See "Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World"

Torsk Launch

Thanks again,
The last photos of the launch after the refit.
All is going well and now ready to have some fun, Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 157
Thanks again,
The last photos of the launch after the refit.
All is going well and now ready to have some fun, Cheers.

Down at "The Yard" the middle pic has the now decrepit "mirimar" in the background.

Great looking boat by the way.
GT Mac do the paint for you?

Last edited:
Torsk

Thanks for your comments Simi 60.
Yes, Ben did the full blast and paint job at "The Yard", steel hull, alloy superstructure, very happy with his work and his Team, GT Mac ROCK !!!!!

When we were kids we went on the "Mirimar" many times, Hales Cruises, Bribie Island and Brisbane River cruise, Bishop Island fun Xmas cruises, (now Port of Brisbane.) She was a fun vessel sad to see her there. When I was at the Yard I would look over wonder how the timbers are standing up after all those years?

I have used a new product here in Australia called "Aqua Prop", I believe it is used in Europe. it is very similar to "Prop Speed" but not the cost.
I had the chance to meet the Australian distributor last year when my yacht was up on the hard for a bottom job and he wanted me to try it, so I did, and a year later it is going well so I am using it again on "Torsk" we will see how it goes in the next year or two.
Cheers

I’m wondering why the bow is so huge.

My thinking is that there’s so much weight plunging into a wave with fwd motion that the bow needs to be high and full to rise to the occasion. Pun intended. The extreme flare seems a final designers trick to keep the bow from mak’in much like a submarine.

So the bow flare and the percentage of the hull it involves is unique. But the most unique feature of their design looks to be just the very high displacement or weight. There’s no hollow wineglass section like on my Willard. There’s no typical keel that plays a big part in directional stability. However they do have a V bottom of sorts. The Romsdal seems to rely mostly on their cross sectional area to control or limit sideways movement of the craft.

I don’t see any stabilizers. Do these boats do without?

Back
Top Bottom