55.7 Foot Waves??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was in 65 footers on the way to Dutch Harbor, AK from Seattle on a USCG icebreaker. Blew a window out on the bridge that was 80 feet above the waterline, it also washed away a fire station and bent a lot of stuff up forward. Stunk because they assigned me to fo the investigations on famage and injuries.

I dont think sras like that in the north Pacific are all the uncommon.

If that was the east coast, the barrier islands would be wiped out.

You know a wave is going to be big when furniture starts rolling downhill as you enter the trough. (Never been there...just saw lucky survivors of freak waves interviewed in a BBC documentary).

Or to sleep, in a single bed, you pile your survival gear under both sides of the matress to form a vee so you dont roll as much ....and can sleep some.:facepalm:

I remember the wind would slack off in deep troughs at night, eery. Then hoping the bow climbs the wave face clean. If it bit off some green water, boat slowed. I would take a breath, wait for the cold wash of the north pacific to drop in my lap.

But it was scarier to be below.

Never been to sea myself.
My BIL used to work as a radio operator aboard the deep seas. He could not see out. He knew it was rough when a biggy would throw he and his chair across the room. Time to secure himself.

When I was a kid we took a cruise liner to Australia. I remember being in a world of hills. One minute you were on top and could see everywhere and the next you were surrounded by hills of water way taller than the ship. The boat was 650 foot long, luckily the water wasnt angry.

Naw, I think they'll be more like 57.6.

Or to sleep, in a single bed, you pile your survival gear under both sides of the matress to form a vee so you dont roll as much ....and can sleep some.:facepalm:

Never tried that, but sounds like a good method. I remember having to wedge my feet and arms in to the corners of my rack to prevent rolling out. Add in the fog horn, and they were long nights.

Yes, the good ol' bed taco. When you make one of them, you know the weather sucks.

Back
Top Bottom