Propane cooktops: Dickinson vs Eno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
I've been considering replacement of the Plastimo propane range which came on my trawler with a two-burner Dickinson cooktop... then I noticed the Eno model at half the price, with slightly less powerful burners.

I still like the Dickinson, but am trying to force myself to be pragmatic. Does anyone have comparative experience, or at least experience with the Eno cooktop?

Thanks-

aenlic

I bought an Eno propane cooker with oven for my previous boat and used it for several years. I found it worked very well, even the oven and the broiler.

No experience with the Dickinson so can't compare.

Have the 3 burner Eno cooktop.

Really like it, I was particular about the btu output of the 3 burnets and it fit the bill.

Looks great and no issues after 6 years liveaboard.

Thanks both for the feedback.

psneeld, do you find that you make use of all three burners? I was thinking of the two-burner drop-in, and possible the gimbaled two-burner for my Islander 30.

Thanks-

aenlic

I like the three because bigger ones dont simmer well ....where the tiny one on low works well.

If all you do is fry or boil, then 2 big or medium would be fine.

I have a Dickinson Mediterranean stove and despite Purolator trying very hard to destroy it, its been very good. Purolator smashes stuff, UPS loses your stuff.

I like Dickinson, with the Canadian dollar the way it is, don’t pay too much for it.

I also have the Eno 3 burner. Yes, simmering is the only difficulty as its hard to get to a low enough heat setting. I would not hesitate to install another one.

Attachments

• 81xzDoZcEUL._SL1500_.jpg
    81xzDoZcEUL._SL1500_.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 88
My comment may look surprising but what is the benefit of a marine cooktop v.s. an household one? This year I installed 2 stainless steel 2 burners household cooktops aboard, one in the galley and one outside on the flybridge and it cost me less than 150$ (Canadian $).

L

My comment may look surprising but what is the benefit of a marine cooktop v.s. an household one? This year I installed 2 stainless steel 2 burners household cooktops aboard, one in the galley and one outside on the flybridge and it cost me less than 150$ (Canadian $).

L

Gas (propane) on board a boat is regulated (no pun intended) here in Queensland. You need a gas compliance certificate to register a boat or to transfer ownership for a sale. There is an official Australian/New Zealand Standard that has to be met.

I had hoped to use a domestic cooktop, but all of the ones I found had a disclaimer to the effect that they were not suitable for marine use, and thus getting a compliance certificate would have been difficult or impossible. I'm not sure of the reasons in detail, and many domestic units have the flame-out gas supply cutoff feature so can be regarded as quite safe.

"and possible the gimbaled two-burner for my Islander 30."

On our 50 ft workboat we use a 4 burner /oven Gimbaled range.

The unit is outboard against the hull (a poor position) so the ability of the range to absorb some usually unexpected motion (wakes) , and the fiddles give the cook a longer chance to avoid a hot flying pot.

Even dock sitters can be waked , much unfun for the cook!

L

My insurance company sent me a checklist for next years insurance.

It asked if the burners had thermocouples snd the stove was equipped with fiddles.

Glad in this case I went marine first so swapping for insurance was avoided.....plus... it wasnt all that more expensive, the size was right and as fas as I could tell, there were no mild steer parts to rust.

My insurance company sent me a checklist for next years insurance.

It asked if the burners had thermocouples snd the stove was equipped with fiddles.

Glad in this case I went marine first so swapping for insurance was avoided.....plus... it wasnt all that more expensive, the size was right and as fas as I could tell, there were no mild steer parts to rust.

Well the cooktop I installed have thermocouple ( even in house it is mandatory now) and are all SS except the burner cover, that is why I asked. I understand that marine ones can have a different form factor that can be “standard” in boats but beside that I don’t see.

L

Nah...as long as the safety features are there...then they meet the recommendations that insurance companies require.

If it is that much less expensive...sorry I missed it.... :)

L

Deep inside that "All Stainless" household stove there are parts that are not made of stainless. Those parts will rust when exposed to the Salt air environment. You have your boat quite a long way from the Ocean, so yours will last a few years longer, but the next owner of your boat will ask for a discount on the price when he identifies the stove as not being a true marine grade item.

My home is 100 ft from the salt water. Until I found a BBQ manufacturer that gave me a guarantee that NO PART of my BBQ were made from any corrosive material, I would get 2 years from a domestic BBQ, especially the ones that looked to be "All Stainless" The parts that held the burners in place were the most frustrating, as there were no replacement parts easily available. I had to buy a whole new BBQ to overcome that problem. The one I have now, guaranteed, remember, looks exactly like the day I bought it, whenever I clean it.

The Marine grade propane stove I have on my boat, a Force Ten, 2 burner drop in top, is now over 20 yrs old and when I clean it, looks and works as good as the day I bought it

The Marine grade Fab-All Diesel stove I have, 23 yrs old, also looks and operates as new.

There are good reasons for the higher prices on truly "Marine" grade items. Stoves are just one of many.

This months Pro Boat Builder has a nice article on proper propane installation.

I decided to get a 2 burner Force 10 stove when I replaced my 3 burner on my power boat. Wit is fine after 10 yrs except electronic igniter failed. Princess makes a good 3 burner as well. I have one on a sailboat in Alaska

Back
Top Bottom