What's this on my shaft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tink

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tinker Belle
Vessel Make
1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
Getting ready to remove this shaft to have it trued up or replaced. I've never seen the thing that's between coupling and the packing gland. I was going to remove it and I don't know if I should be anal about it's location, take measurements or what?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1022171232.jpg
    1022171232.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 444
The only thing I can think of is it may be a way (a stop) to keep the shaft from slipping too far back, maybe hitting the rudder, if it ever came loose at the coupling???

I was really tentative opening this thread...

I wondered the same thing Steve. Also wondered if it was something to break a standing wave node, since it's only an 1 1/4" shaft. I'm sure someone on TF will know for sure.

Do you have a get-home set up now (or previously) where this could have been part of the connector?

Menzies, There's one on the other shaft too. I'm not aware of any "get home" setup. Bought the boat this past January. I wondered about it but didn't really give it much thought until I went to remove it.

That appears to be a jewelry remover. Results may vary.

If you wear a tie in the engine room keep well clear of it while it is spinning.
Seriously any clothing, rings, or other items could get caught in it.

Used to keep the shaft in the boat in case of catastrophic coupling failure.

I was really tentative opening this thread...
Me too. First thought was penicillin.:)
It could be to lock the shaft when running on the other engine,removing any risk to the gearbox.

Menzies, There's one on the other shaft too. I'm not aware of any "get home" setup. Bought the boat this past January. I wondered about it but didn't really give it much thought until I went to remove it.

Ah, twins, then probably no get home.

I think the lock when running a single prop is a good suggestion.

You guys have your minds in the gutter :nonono:. Thanks for the thoughts. Guess I won't worry too much about it. Should I leave them off when I reinstall the shaft so I don't lose a limb, or worse?

Should I leave them off when I reinstall the shaft so I don't lose a limb, or worse?
If I`m right that it`s to secure one shaft and gearbox when running on the other engine alone, and you might do that, then reinstall them. Some people run on one for economy. The only question I would have is do they affect the balance of the shaft, but the shaft is so heavy it`s hard to imagine that being an issue.

I don't plan run on one engine unless one engine quits. If its to secure the shaft, I must have some parts missing. I've scoured the internet looking for a shaft stop and don't see anything like it. I dunno.

Tough to tell but could possibly be some Bakersfield engineered shaft balancing attempt. How long have you owned the boat?

Bought the boat in January, 2017.

I would remove and replace with shaft donut zinc. Placement based on distance to rudders in case couplings failed. Also From photo unable to tell what the devise is made of but once removed check for crevise corrosion.

Take approx measurements, write them down.
I am reasonable sure you will see, on the shaft where is was located but just in case ....

Looks like s split collar to keep shaft from coming out to far . Maybe had that problem before and just added these after .

Looks like s split collar to keep shaft from coming out to far . Maybe had that problem before and just added these after .

Agree; But, I don't think the tranny coupler will let loose very easy, from the looks of things. At least there is lots of room to move the shaft back and demolish the correct item.

Some PO put those on He/she was convinced they were necessary for some purpose, but time has a way of passing without bringing those predictions to pass.
Take them off. clean them up, use them for conversation starters, paper weights, beer coasters or what have you.
If you wake up in the night regretting taking them off, as you have suddenly discovered their true purpose, put them back on. Report your epiphany here.

To prevent the shaft from backing out. We sure don't want the shaft backing out and hitting the rudder.
A previous own installed on the shaft so he would know where to find it???

Beats pipe wrench or vice grips on shaft!!!

If you measure the distance from the "device"to the face of the packing gland, it should be less than the distance from the propeller to the rudder. It is to keep the shaft from sliding back if the coupling fails. This is to keep the prop/shaft from hitting the rudder and causing a steering failure.

If you measure the distance from the "device"to the face of the packing gland, it should be less than the distance from the propeller to the rudder. It is to keep the shaft from sliding back if the coupling fails. This is to keep the prop/shaft from hitting the rudder and causing a steering failure.

I do believe I gave the same reasoning. Also, to take measurements and also said, chances are he will have no problem determining its original place because of the condition under the collar.

Yes, you did. I only gave him a way to verify the reason for the "device".
I apologize if I offended you in any way with my post.

Yes, you did. I only gave him a way to verify the reason for the "device".
I apologize if I offended you in any way with my post.

Not offended at all. I just copied it and sent it to my ex-wife to prove once again, I was correct. LOL

Old Dan

I do the same thing to my incumbent wife who claims I can never be correct because I have a penis.

Old Dan

I do the same thing to my incumbent wife who claims I can never be correct because I have a penis.

LOL So many ways to respond to that. I will just say, "Hello brother."

In reality, I do not have contact with any of my multiple ex-wives. I'd rather they think I died.

I will compliment them all for getting a better offer than me. You know the deal, 'richer, generous to their wives'.

LOL

“I will compliment them all for getting a better offer than me. You know the deal, 'richer, generous to their wives'.”

All true until the guy says “I do”. All my marriages were great for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom