New Member from Pacific Northwest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabre602

Vessel Name
Kingfisher
Vessel Make
37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Hello all,

My wife and I are the new owners of an old boat. We just brought home a 37-foot custom-built boat that is a converted crabber. Kingfisher was one of six hand-built by a fellow in Sechelt, British Columbia in the 1970s. She's cold-molded commercial boat from 1976...and her hull is absolutely pristine. In 2007 she had her cabin extended and completely rebuilt. She was completely rewired at that time as well. Her venerable single Ford Lehman is old but superbly maintained.

I grew up on boats and lived aboard a sailboat for years...a lovely Bristol Channel Cutter blue-water cruising boat. That was in a previous life, and I've been without a boat for many, many years. Our youngest just started college and we realize how quickly life is going by. We both work at a hospital and we see every day how ephemeral life can be, and how important it is to live now, before it's too late. And so my wonderful wife urged me to stop dreaming and start seriously looking at boats. This one came to us serendipitously from Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The fellow who owned her for a long time has bought a 50-foot Ed Monk trawler and it's an enormous restoration project. He lived half the year on the 37-foot boat and is now planning to live full-time on the larger boat with his new lady. So, after having enjoyed it for many years, he has passed it on to a new family.

37773615666_02c3295a26_b.jpg

37564010020_f5111442b5_b.jpg

The boat's home was deep in a lovely fjord just north of Victoria, BC. We spent a day getting to know her in the placid waters of the fjord, then provisioned her for a 3-day return to our home in northwest Washington.

23969389868_5260eaa820_b.jpg

37563937300_f5f798c224_b.jpg

37773678996_a8ce023862_b.jpg

She isn't a fancy vessel, but beautifully converted in traditional workboat style to a family yacht.

37563944010_e51cea869c_b.jpg

37822265021_125b327511_b.jpg

23969359348_a95443c6c1_b.jpg

We brought her to Friday Harbor to process the importation of Kingfisher into the United States. We met with the director of the Customs and Border Protection office there and had an effortless experience. Hats off to these folks who are extremely familiar with this sort of thing. We had called them weeks in advance and they emailed us the checklist that they've developed. This ensured that we had everything already at hand and ready to go when we showed up at Friday Harbor. It was a very straightforward, pleasant experience. We took a leisurely two days to arrive, and then my wife had to board the ferry for the mainland to be at work the next morning. I brought the boat home singlehanded the following day.

The forecast told me that a front was coming through and the weather I had coming home was no surprise to me. Kingfisher, being a BC-built fishing boat, simply laughed at the wind and waves. But I am glad that I was alone because I doubt if my wife or daughters would have been anything other than alarmed (and sickened) by the 5-foot breaking seas and 30-40 knot winds. I hand-steered for several hours in the quartering seas because I didn't have the experience with this boat to be sure she wouldn't broach. She never did, though I steered like mad as I was taking no chances. The autopilot was able to relieve some of my workload for the last two hours as we cleared Sucia Island and made a bee-line for her new home in Blaine, Washington. We were in beam seas and she didn't fuss too much, though we occasionally rolled through 90 degrees of arc. It did wear me out to be on a carnival ride for a full six hours, but Kingfisher never fussed a bit.

We're really looking forward to getting to know her more, and to learning from the collective experience of the membership here on Trawler Forum. Thanks for inviting us aboard!

Love the story and the pictures.

Tremendous first post! Thank you for sharing and welcome!

Finlayson Arm? Goldstream Marina?

Last edited:
It’s a great out of the way spot and a beautiful cruise to get there. Are you on the waiting list to move to Bellingham?

Congrats and welcome aboard. Nice windless too! LOL

Now THAT is the way to introduce yourselves, your boat and how she came to you. Nicely done, welcome to TF.

Nice rig.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Blaine. We sure like it there. We were on the wait list at Bellingham and offered a slip there a couple of weeks ago. We elected to stay in Blaine as the place and people have really grown on us.

Hope to see you there. We are on G dock from gate 1.

It’s a great out of the way spot and a beautiful cruise to get there. Are you on the waiting list to move to Bellingham?
We'll likely get on the list for Squalicum simply because it's that much closer to some overnight spots. I agree that Blaine has a great vibe and they've certainly done a great job with the place. When I brought my last boat from Seattle to Bham in 1990 I spent a year at Semiahmoo while waiting for my slip in Bham because Blaine was pretty run down. Things have sure changed!

Sabre,
As others have said your introduction was a class act. You two and the boat had all to do with it.

We returned from Alaska a few years ago and are in the so hbr at LaConner, B8. We like the covered moorage and competitive rates. Very nice pics. I suspect you have a very good camera. You know what to do w it too.
I have a reel winch just exactly like yours. Never used mine. Decided it was too big for the boat. I probably should mount it anyway.

Here’s our Willard at Langley. So end of Whidby Is.

Attachments

• 9F3B2246-A365-4D1D-B958-B9C4C1EF1AC9.jpg
    9F3B2246-A365-4D1D-B958-B9C4C1EF1AC9.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 81
Welcome aboard :)

Good score...I'm partial to the get-er-done, no nonsense, fine workboat, low ostentation factor ethic :thumb:

We stayed in Blaine for about four months waiting for a slip in Bham. Mixed feelings about leaving but the 20 min drive instead of riding my bike to the boat pretty much made the decision for us.

But we loved Blaine and met some really great people there especially on G dock.

Wow, you are all so welcoming! One of the things that I've missed during these years "on the beach" has been the camaraderie of boaters. I have met some really interesting and wonderful folks during my search for a vessel; the couple we bought her from are among them and made us feel so welcome as we assumed ownership of what was clearly an important part of their lives. My wife and I work with some of these great people as well, and they've reached out to welcome us to the boating community.

Here's some more eye candy....

37822277171_f21bce8c5e_b.jpg

37773684146_8316574cd3_b.jpg

37773651916_761cd340d4_b.jpg

37822339801_66c7220109_b.jpg

I again thank my amazing wife for really making this dream happen. Her enthusiasm makes this so much more rewarding than I had ever imagined. We look forward to meeting those of you in this part of the world!

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

Anson & Donna

Be sure to check oil in Lehman fuel injector pump every 50 hrs. It needs to be drained a bit and topped off again to be sure it has 30# motor oil lube and not diesel. If you are over 4,000 hrs recommend you pull and inspect head and have injector pump rebuilt. Also, 30 yr old boat may need to have the muck cleaned out of the tanks. I had access ports cut in mine and tanks cleaned. Each one had 5 gal of biomass goop in the bottom. American Diesel sells aftermarket kit to improve oil cooler efficiency and add overflow collection bottle to coolant expansion tank. Consider joining a local yacht club for cruising and maintenance experience.

Be sure to check oil in Lehman fuel injector pump every 50 hrs. It needs to be drained a bit and topped off again to be sure it has 30# motor oil lube and not diesel. If you are over 4,000 hrs recommend you pull and inspect head and have injector pump rebuilt. Also, 30 yr old boat may need to have the muck cleaned out of the tanks. I had access ports cut in mine and tanks cleaned. Each one had 5 gal of biomass goop in the bottom. American Diesel sells aftermarket kit to improve oil cooler efficiency and add overflow collection bottle to coolant expansion tank. Consider joining a local yacht club for cruising and maintenance experience.
Thanks so much! I'm grateful to have the opportunity to learn from the collective wisdom of this group! :thumb:

Congrats and welcome aboard. Nice windless too! LOL

Nice photos and a great post. Don't ask John why the windlass got his attention. It got mine too, and I'd love to have one that is deck mounted like yours.

Looks like someone has taken good care of her, such handsome lines and I like that green stripe!
Thanks Sabre for sharing. So often we read a post and someone has to ask for photos, but you saved us all the trouble! and BTW, I think the windlass with all that chain looks great! I've got 275' all chain and its good to have up in the PNW...

Congrats! Welcome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom