Programmable thermostats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcticspud

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Noeta
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Anyone have one for their diesel heater? I have a two zone Espar D5 hydronic unit and was curious if anyone has done this?

It would be nice to program a lower temp during the day while we are away to conserve fuel.

We have installed one on Ebbtide and it works great. Ours is a single zone.

I use the 7-day timer that came in an espar kit, so an inexpensive option for us to try. I use it to kick the heater on at a predefined time, so not a thermostat but works well enough that I have not bothered with one. I usually set it to come on an hour before we get up in the am or an hour before we return from an outing. Simple and works well enough.
Single zone only though.
I would be interested in what you find out for thermostats however, so if you can, post what you discover.

I use the 7-day timer that came in an espar kit, so an inexpensive option for us to try. I use it to kick the heater on at a predefined time, so not a thermostat but works well enough that I have not bothered with one. I usually set it to come on an hour before we get up in the am or an hour before we return from an outing. Simple and works well enough.
Single zone only though.
I would be interested in what you find out for thermostats however, so if you can, post what you discover.

Which heater do you have? Mine is a D5 (2008) model.

Same - D5. Note that I use it for the forward sections of the boat (pilot house & staterooms) and have a Dickenson Antarctic for the main salon. I didn't think the D5 would be enough for our entire boat, but - as I have not tried - don't know for sure. I would be interested if it is sufficient for yours.

Look up Sure Marine in Seattle. They have programmable thermostats for all the major diesel systems.

I use a digital thermostat with day/night/vacation mode. Not as nice as a 24/7 programmable but I have 4 zones to deal with and I don’t have a programmable pattern of use.

Look up Sure Marine in Seattle. They have programmable thermostats for all the major diesel systems.

I use a digital thermostat with day/night/vacation mode. Not as nice as a 24/7 programmable but I have 4 zones to deal with and I don’t have a programmable pattern of use.

Did you replace the “master” thermostat with the programmable one? Or did you replace all the zones?

I have three thermostats on a single loop hurricane hydronic furnace. The thermostat in the forward stateroom failed last month and I replaced it with a programmable Honeywell thermostat from Home Depot. For $21 I figured I could not go wrong. It is a battery powered unit, just like what it was replacing, and was a direct replacement for the failed unit.

Marty......................

I talked to Sure Marine yesterday. They said any battery operated programmable thermostat would work on a diesel heater system. They also said you shouldn’t run a diesel heater when off the boat. I’m not making a statement, just passing what they said.

I found out my model is too old for the Espar programmable thermostats. So maybe something off the self will work?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom