President 41' Fuel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tatanka

Vessel Name
Kristine
Vessel Make
41 President
Question for President 41' Owners! I recently purchased a 1984 president 41' with Volvo 165/hp's. During the delivery the port tank ran dry. I haven't been able to locate the fuel line/valves between the tanks. Does anyone know if the Presidents were built with independent tanks per motor or is there a crossover line?

Thanks

John

How it was built might not be relavent to how it is now. It wouldn’t be the first time I have seen a cross over removed.

Mine does not have a crossover built in. It doesn't look like there ever was one. My stbd tank only feeds stbd engine and same with port except the port tank also serves genset.

Thanks for confirming no crossover. No site tube either? The Fuel gauge stopped working during the delivery.

No I don't have sight tubes. Can't even see the tanks since mine are enclosed with insulation. My fillers are pretty much a straight shot into the tanks so you might be able to dip the tank to check the fuel level, maybe.

Mine DOES have a cross-over but very small diameter tubing (3/8" I think). The cross over valves are at the bottom aft corner of the tanks and then the tubing cross over on the aft engine room bulkhead. I do not have site tubes but I do have dip-sticks in each tank.

Marty......................

^^^Same as above, but we do have a site tube on the starboard tank only.
I generally leave the cross-over valves open to keep the fuel level the same between both tanks.
We've only filled up to the top a couple times, but in both instances we were only 1/2 gallon difference between tanks for 100+ gallons each.

I do not believe I have a cross over hose but I am sure going to check tonight. I also use a steel dipstick. Previous owner and surveyor (joke) never mentioned it to me and it is not in plain site. I could sure use one as my Diesel fireplace and genny draw from my port side tank.

Was the steel dipstick homemade or did it come with the boat?

The dipstick came with the boat, but it could have been homemade.
It was a male NPT threaded plug with a steel rod welded to the end. The plug had a large washer welded vertically to the top so you would not require a wrench to open and view the reading. Similar to a thumb screw

The dipstick came with the boat, but it could have been homemade.

It was a male NPT threaded plug with a steel rod welded to the end. The plug had a large washer welded vertically to the top so you would not require a wrench to open and view the reading. Similar to a thumb screw

Thanks, great details. I’m going to make one.

Fuel tanks

Great topic. I just purchased a 1984 41 President and was looking for the fuel sender... The boat has a fuel gauge in the salon that does not work. I do have the crossover valves at the bottom aft of both tanks and the rather homemade looking dipsticks in both tanks too. Has anyone ever tried to add a sight glass to the tank? I was thinking about adding a “tee” to the cross over and running a piece of clear hose up the outer wall of the tank? Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

Great topic. I just purchased a 1984 41 President and was looking for the fuel sender... The boat has a fuel gauge in the salon that does not work. I do have the crossover valves at the bottom aft of both tanks and the rather homemade looking dipsticks in both tanks too. Has anyone ever tried to add a sight glass to the tank? I was thinking about adding a “tee” to the cross over and running a piece of clear hose up the outer wall of the tank? Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

I think it would probably be pretty easy to add a sight tube to that cross-connect. My only concern would be attempting to loosen that connection with out breaking something. I would not want to do that particular work with the tanks full. If you do be sure to document it and post is here. Who knows, that might give me the courage to tackle it.....:D

Marty.............................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom