OHP has a little incident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update:

Updated Information from Oliver Hazard Perry:
At approximately 6:15 p.m. on Sunday, October 15, while leaving the Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival, the Tall Ship Oliver Hazard Perry’s two propellers became entangled by one of the ship's dock lines, resulting in the loss of engine power. Thanks to the quick actions of the captain, crew, the City of Newport Harbor Master, Old Port Marine Service, and the U.S. Coast Guard, the ship was safely secured to the docks at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina and Newport Yacht Club.
During the incident, the ship did not run aground; however, it came in contact with four boats docked in Newport Harbor. There were no injuries, and minimal damage occurred.
This afternoon, Oliver Hazard Perry will return to its permanent berth at Fort Adams, its intended destination last night. A diver has cleared the propellers, and both engines are operational.
In accordance with U.S. Coast Guard requirements, Tug Jaguar from Mitchell Towing in Fairhaven, Mass. will assist with the move while two other tug boats will be on standby for assistance.
The relocation process will begin when the tug boats arrive at approximately 3 p.m.
The four affected vessels are currently being assessed, and owners/captains have been contacted.
With its next programs scheduled for January, Perry will undergo U.S. Coast Guard-required sea trials later this week to ensure the ongoing safety of the ship and crew. All of Perry’s 2018 voyages and plans for festival participation are expected to continue as scheduled.
Updates will be issued as more information is made available.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free communicate with OHPRI via social media, email info@ohpri.org or phone 401-841-0080.

Embarrassing night in Newport. We were trying to keep this a secret. Lol

Ouch ouch. And all the people yelling profanity, that really helps a lot. As if the crew is doing it on purpose, or doesn't know it's happening. The last time we motored out of Newport (out of West Wind Marina) it was just that gray and choppy and windy, and blowing in the same direction. Hope they're well insured, and I'll bet they're more careful about dropping mooring lines in the water in the future. The twanging noises when the bowsprit snags the sailboat's stays, and then the crunching noises -- ugh, I hate that. I did have to smile at one of the YouTube comments though: "I feel worse for the crew of OHP having to deal with that psycho on the little yacht. You and your money are going to be fine, lady. Calm the f--- down." Easy for me to say though, not my boat getting crunched.

I always thought -- assuming no immediate danger of injury to anybody of course -- that if I were ever the crunch-ee in a slow motion situation like that, I'd be as cool as a cucumber and I'd have the same reaction as Kathy Bates in that famous scene from Fried Green Tomatoes. Remember she beats the daylights out of a Volkswagen in a supermarket parking lot (on purpose) and when the drivers come over screaming, she rolls down the window and calmly says, "Face it girls, I'm older than you and I have more insurance."

With that size vessel , the amount of wind blowing and no power, not a bad job at all

Guess they weren't far enough out for the anchor to be an option?

The trawler that it bumped with its stern I believe was featured in Woodenboat magazine about a year ago .Is it the Alden motor sailer Trade Wind ?

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Looks like one of my high wind approaches. [emoji51]

I lost power and steering coming back from hurricane hole last week, luckily I just ran aground in the river on a deserted sandbar, still puckered me up a little,

I lost power and steering coming back from hurricane hole last week, luckily I just ran aground in the river on a deserted sandbar, still puckered me up a little,

Please don't stop there... Tell us more! Lost power and steering? Recovered? Towed home? C'mon man....now I'm puckered up a little...

Haha, lucky no one videotaped my ordeal, the starboard gear lost pressure when I was working her off of the bank, the tide was way out. I limped Home on one engine and about half way home the 90 degree gear for the steering had come misaligned and the shaft came loose, Just had the autopilot installed, maybe this had something to do with it? I don’t know.
After about 20 minutes and an old ski rope I buttoned her back up and finished my trip home.

At one point you can see what looks like prop wash from the OHP, so I wonder about the fouled prop story. But clearly they did not have control and had summoned assistance from several tenders that were trying to help control the boat.

Yea, I saw prop wash too. Sounds like twin screw, single rudder so even if only one screw was fouled, it is pretty useless for tight maneuvering with wind.

Pretty critical to keep dock lines out of the water, especially near screws.

All mishaps are learning opportunities. What I learned from that video:

Don't scream "what the !@#$ are you doing?" repeatedly if another vessel is bearing down on you, obviously not under control. They're not doing it on purpose, screaming at them won't really help, and it will make you look like an idiot on the video.

See. You learn something every day!

Yeah. I agree that was really annoying.

I'm usually thinking a lot of those words in my head whilst talking to my boat..."now c'mon, don't let the wind blow your nose over...ah hell!" Ha ha.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom