Calling all North Pacific 42/43 owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitlenatch

Veteran Member
I have sold my boat and now am looking at a trawler and have viewed a NP 43 for the first time, but I have a bunch of questions so I was wondering if an NP owners would not mind me asking some questions. I have reached out to Dave who has been very helpful, so I am including you again Dave if you don't mind.
Cheers

I would suggest just posting the questions. Since there isn't a specific North Pacific sub-forums in the 'Brands' sub-forums, I'd just post the questions in General.

(of course, it's always better to isolate subjects into different threads. 10 questions in a single thread starts to get messy, unless they're all related to the same relative topic).

Looks like a slim market for used North Pacific Yachts currently.

Ask away. Will try to help if I can.

My wife and I had a look at a NP 43 for the first time and a few things came to mind. One was the drop down ceiling section just above the master bed. She was concerned she would hit her head on it getting up? I thought it was an odd question, but I'll ask anyway.

Another is about how stable they are in the water. I noticed the one we looked at had static fins installed onto the hull. I guess this is a difficult question to answer, but are they stable in the water, with not having a wide beam at 12'7". I have never had a boat with a fly bridge so the added weight above the waterline would make the boat react differently then our low cruiser in rougher waters it would seem. Does the hull compesate for some of that with keel style centreline?

We also found it a little ackward to steer from the pilot house. We found we had to raise the seat to its max to see (i'm 6'1") and then found I had to lean forward to reach the wheel. That would be uncomfortable on long trips or is it just me. We were only at the dock so maybe we don't actually need the seat that high, I'm not sure. Seemed easier to put my feet on the bottom of the wheel then hands on the top!

Please keep in mind I have had no experience in piloting a trawler style vessel. I have been boating since I was 10, but only in cruisers, so I hope my questions are not to odd!

Cheers

Please keep in mind I have had no experience in piloting a trawler style vessel. I have been boating since I was 10, but only in cruisers, so I hope my questions are not to odd!

Cheers

Questions are never too odd. Answers, on the other hand... :)

Phil. Yes, you can bump your head. You learn, quickly that it is painful..and avoidable..

Like any boat it pitches and rolls, more than some, less than others. It does its designed job as a coastal cruiser well. I have the fixed fins on mine, and they help. It weighs only 18T, so not heavy for a 42-43 foot boat. Nordy 40 I would guess would be close to 30T. Followed a pair of trollers, north bound around Cape Caution, they both had poles stowed, and they were going from gunnel to gunnel. We were rolling but it was not uncomfortable.

As for the Pilot house. The seat adjusts fore and aft, and up and down. Seated steering and visibility is fine. My AP does the steering better than 90% of the time. Standing and steering at 6 ft, might not be to comfortable. You might wish you were 6 to 8 inches shorter. The seat when it is fully aft, does impede the crew, still passable though. When fwd it makes it tight on the person standing and steering. A trade off is having the seat 90 degrees. It all works. Hope this helps. Dan

Phil. Yes, you can bump your head. You learn, quickly that it is painful..and avoidable..

Like any boat it pitches and rolls, more than some, less than others. It does its designed job as a coastal cruiser well. I have the fixed fins on mine, and they help. It weighs only 18T, so not heavy for a 42-43 foot boat. Nordy 40 I would guess would be close to 30T. Followed a pair of trollers, north bound around Cape Caution, they both had poles stowed, and they were going from gunnel to gunnel. We were rolling but it was not uncomfortable.

As for the Pilot house. The seat adjusts fore and aft, and up and down. Seated steering and visibility is fine. My AP does the steering better than 90% of the time. Standing and steering at 6 ft, might not be to comfortable. You might wish you were 6 to 8 inches shorter. The seat when it is fully aft, does impede the crew, still passable though. When fwd it makes it tight on the person standing and steering. A trade off is having the seat 90 degrees. It all works. Hope this helps. Dan

Thanks Dan

About your AP. Are you not concerned with driftwood and logs etc? Not much in your area? Again with a cruiser I have to keep my eyes straight ahead (one reason I'm looking forward to a trawler). If I hit anything with my last boat I would be replacing both legs. I realize the prop is protected to a degree by the hull on the NP or it at least looks that way with the hull design.

Again, thank you in advance.

Always on the lookout, just not steering and then only making 6-8 knots. See something then hit a button and watch it slide along side. Sometimes conditions might dictate hand steering, but most of the time Rogue is on Auto. I would think most trawlers are operated this way. The auto on Rogue is very good at holding a course, almost zero hunting, very easy to run range markers.

Always on the lookout, just not steering and then only making 6-8 knots. See something then hit a button and watch it slide along side. Sometimes conditions might dictate hand steering, but most of the time Rogue is on Auto. I would think most trawlers are operated this way. The auto on Rogue is very good at holding a course, almost zero hunting, very easy to run range markers.

Thank you very much for all your information. It has been very helpful. Now I just need to find a boat!!

OP: There's lots of trawlers in the 40' range. How did you so quickly narrow your search to just one boat brand? Just curious, thats all.

OP: There's lots of trawlers in the 40' range. How did you so quickly narrow your search to just one boat brand? Just curious, thats all.

Well, it's not really that quickly. Have been looking or thinking about this for a couple of years. Put together a check list and then looked to see what might fall under the majority of the items. No chance of getting everything we wanted but needed to see how many we could get and put a priority on some.
We wanted something with no or little canvas, so if it had no flybridge that was fine. Prefer single diesel. No ladders to flybridge or roof. This was a must. 2 stateroom as our family is growing up and more friends aboard. And then of course price range.
We love the stairs to the flybridge that NP and Helmsman have. We also can't find a Nortic Tug under 45 (can't get anything bigger in our marina) that has 2 stateroom other then very new and out of our price range. From there it became the smaller items but this is how we got to this stage.
Stairs vs ladder is big
2 stateroom is big.
It needs to be somewhat local, BC and WA. I'm not going to San Diego to get anything. Have any suggestions for us???
My problem is I just love all the boats I look at. I want one of each!!!! Come on lotto max!
We do like the NP now that we have viewed a couple of them. I also looked at a NP39 but only one stateroom but nice vessel.

Cheers
Phil

Mitlenatch don't overlook the American Tug.
Hmmm, if you don't have a ladder to the fly bridge, how do you get up there?

Mitlenatch don't overlook the American Tug.
Hmmm, if you don't have a ladder to the fly bridge, how do you get up there?

Yes, the AT is one we like a lot but has ladder as a matter of fact it is my wife's favourite. It's not that we can't use a ladder, we just prefer to have access with stairs vs ladder.
NP has stairs outside the pilot house on both sides to the flybridge. We love that.

Cheers

Yes, the AT is one we like a lot but has ladder as a matter of fact it is my wife's favourite. It's not that we can't use a ladder, we just prefer to have access with stairs vs ladder.
NP has stairs outside the pilot house on both sides to the flybridge. We love that.

Cheers

That is one point you were looking for.
Next point?

That is one point you were looking for.
Next point?

2 stateroom with bunk beds in the guest stateroom (kids)
40'-45' max
no older then 2006
no more then 2000 hrs
galley on same level (or close to same level) as cockpit/living area
single diesel
no or little canvas

That is a few key items.

Reinspect the areas of water intrusion carefully. Get an estimate for repairing the areas.

You will want canvas to cover the pilot house windows for privacy. WINK WINK

Last edited:
I’m a North Pacific 43 owner you can ask me about them
Thanks Woodlord

I’m a North Pacific 43 owner you can ask me about them
Thanks Woodlord

Hi Woodlord

Thank you in advance.
I have yet to go on a sea trial. How is the noise level when traveling? Tough question as it should be "compared to what" but just your thoughts on it.
Is the gelcoat any better/worse on a NP then some other boats? How often to wax and is yours holding up well or is yours in a boat shed?
The 2010 we looked at looked like it needed a good cut polish. I was a little surprised as my 06 bayliner looked better.
We also found crackes in the gelcoat on the flybridge seat pedestal mount. It was fairly large.
We also found the corian galley top had a large crack in at the sink area. Do you see any of these problems?
Have you seen any pitting on propshaft? I have heard some NP with issues related to bearing area swelling and pitting on shafts that were asian metal. I understand the newer NP have NA metal. I was told that by an owner that had to replace the shaft.
In general, how do you enjoy your NP? Would you purchase another?
Sorry for all the questions but you did offer!!

Cheers
Phil

Reinspect the areas of water intrusion carefully. Get an estimate for repairing the areas.

You will want canvas to cover the pilot house windows for privacy. WINK WINK

yes, thank you. I noticed they had them on the pilot house windows when we looked at the boat in the marina. A very good idea.
I did find a porthole window that had been leaking and someone just smeared silicone all over it. Very poor job. water stain in the inside woodwork in the master. It needs to be removed and fixed properly.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil
The noise level on my NP is a lot quiter than my last Trawler which had 2 cat diesel with that said the floor is insulted its not bad my wife will watch the flat screen while underway.
Gel coat I don’t have any crazing or cracks around fly bridge floor but it is fiberglass and boats flex I have noticed a crack on the bottom of door rail and I’ve seen it on other NP also cracks around radar arch base which I had repaired professionally and he told me that the color of the boat was easy to match compared to white.
The fly bridge widows had alot of cracking in the polycarbonate but they look easy to replace and I will use some timted lexon to replace it with
I take out of water every spring and clean waxs and replce zinks I paint bottom every other year and have a diver clean bottom after the summer.
I’ve tried alot of different kinds of wax and they are not created equally and I buff and wax myself so here is how to get a year out of it use (Collinite no.845 Insulattor Wax ) made in USA get it online Amazon or EBay
Paste or liquid
No Cracks in Corian countertop
My shaft seems fine as far as pitting but I heard a couple of the older boats had a problem with that 2006 not mine 2009 but my cutless bearing is looking like its time to replace I have 2200 hours no vibration it looks like its wearing on one side I was told it was Ok last time out but better to be on cautious side
So as far as how we like it we love it the boat is user friendly everything is easy to get to and its cheap to operate 2 gallons an hour at 7 knots and I like the NP49 if I was to get another I hope I answered your question Happy Boating
Woodlord

MIT. Looks like a 43 has been listed. I think it is in, your area. 2011. Have you already looked at it?

No posts since the 17th, must be on vacation..

MIT. Looks like a 43 has been listed. I think it is in, your area. 2011. Have you already looked at it?

yes, its the 2010. Just an hour from us. We went and had a look at it. We liked it very much. Trying to get out on one as we have never been. Its also at the very top of our budget, maybe over. (I know, no such thing as a budget for a boat!)

My wife and I had a look at a NP 43 for the first time and a few things came to mind. One was the drop down ceiling section just above the master bed. She was concerned she would hit her head on it getting up? I thought it was an odd question, but I'll ask anyway.

Yes, she probably will once. Maybe twice. Then like on any boat motor memory comes in and you won't again. I'm 6' 2" and my wife is 5'9". We do fine.

Another is about how stable they are in the water. I noticed the one we looked at had static fins installed onto the hull. I guess this is a difficult question to answer, but are they stable in the water, with not having a wide beam at 12'7". I have never had a boat with a fly bridge so the added weight above the waterline would make the boat react differently then our low cruiser in rougher waters it would seem. Does the hull compesate for some of that with keel style centreline?

I think the boat is very stable unless you get into some sea. Then it will roll a bit like any other SD hull.

We also found it a little ackward to steer from the pilot house. We found we had to raise the seat to its max to see (i'm 6'1") and then found I had to lean forward to reach the wheel. That would be uncomfortable on long trips or is it just me. We were only at the dock so maybe we don't actually need the seat that high, I'm not sure. Seemed easier to put my feet on the bottom of the wheel then hands on the top!

The captain's chair not only raises up and down, it also moves for and aft. The foot rest is also adjustable for height. I find it comfortable to steer once the chair is adjusted properly. Keep in mind that while under way, most of the time you will using the auto pilot when out in open water.

Cheers

No question is too odd. I asked a HUGE number of questions as I was looking to move from sail to power. The TF folks patiently answered them all.

I wasn’t always patient!��

Thank you Rebel, Woodlord, and dhays. I have one more that all or one of you might be able to throw at me. What HP do you all have and are you happy with it. I see there are two ratings, the 230 which is most common and the 380. Is the 230 enough? The one I looked says its can be upgraded to 380 with prop mod. I have not looked into this but was just wondering.
Thank you again, you have be so valuable with your insight and info as everyone else on this site.

Cheers
Phil

Back
Top Bottom