74 Fales navigator clean up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivertrader

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bottomtime III
Vessel Make
1974 Fales 32 Navigator
Finally able to bring the 1974 32ft Fales to a yard for repower an some paint. Decided to sand blast bottom to check for blisters and only found 3 active. Seems that quite a few at least 10 year old patches are still good. I noticed that a prior owner I think that I am the 3rd made a fiberglass extension to the rudder. Next will be bottom coat paint and Perkins repower. I want to thank Larry of Boomarang for loads of information regarding Fales line.

John

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3618.JPG
    IMG_3618.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3627.JPG
    IMG_3627.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3628.JPG
    IMG_3628.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 244
Looks like you got a good one . These are cool boats .You went to the right guy for help . Larry is the man and Boomarang is beautiful . Good luck with your project .

Rivertrader,
She cleaned up rather well. Sure wish I had that extra 2'. I only need to deal w blisters about every 3 years. Have 50 or so like in the pic. I grind them out (down about 2/32 to 1/8") and but on some heavy epoxy.
So you're repowering w a Perkins? What's the power and displacement? Seen a lot of little Perkeys in Albin 25's. Owners like them.

Attachments

• DSCF1097 copy.jpg
    DSCF1097 copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 170
John,

Congrats on your new project. It's almost like starting with a blank canvas. With enough time and money, you can turn it into just about anything you want it to be . . . well, within reason :)

I was fortunate in that the prior owner had accomplished a significant amount of the improvement project. I picked up where he left off by completing the interior and galley, but didn't stop there. I replaced or upgraded the air conditioning, controls, engine room sound proofing, generator, plumbing and electronics. I added a bow thruster and will have a bow pulpit and full railings installed by year end.

I found the hardest part of the project has been knowing where to stop :banghead: Thankfully I like to USE my boat too, so there is at least some balance in my nautical obsession.

Just as an example, here is a "before" and "after" of Boomarang.

Attachments

• P4201943.jpg
    P4201943.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 361
Man...that's a nice looking boat. Balanced, curvy, salty, one of my favorites.

Many Boats, It is a 4-108 50hp. Reason for using is it came with the boat. Larry thank you and thanks for your help. Larry HH thank you also, saw it and had to try it. 7mph will take getting use to though. Although I am on the ICW between Charleston and Oriental and there are lots of places to go.

Thanks again
John

Still painting

The bottom is about done and they cut a hole in the rudder to get shaft out. Now waiting for England to send a couple small parts for Perkins.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 168
Looks good, like a new boat. She'll look good cruising around your waters.

Thanks Mike, Probably won't be going real far til I get used to it.

John

John,
I kept the cutout of my rudder shaft hole and re-installed it w three carriage bolts and short nuts. Did'nt try to fill the kerf.

Attachments

• DSCF1677 copy 2.JPG
    DSCF1677 copy 2.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I decided if there were 17 holes in the rudder a large loss of rudder response would result. A clear indication that fewer holes were better .. so I eliminated my one hole .. kinda sorta.

I decided if there were 17 holes in the rudder a large loss of rudder response would result. A clear indication that fewer holes were better .. so I eliminated my one hole .. kinda sorta.

Are you having to compensate for the asymmetric drag created?:D

Finally relived of old Perky.

Attachments

• IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 264
Finally

Finally got her out of boat yard and made it 20 miles south in 30mph wind under new power. It took 3+ hrs and went between 4.3 and 8 kts. Engine sounded good when kept under 2300 rpm. Still lots of work to do.

John

Attachments

• 100_1213.jpg
    100_1213.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 536
John, she's looking great. I love the lines of those salty little trawlers.:thumb:

Yeah....sweet. Hard to find a more balanced looking vessel to my eye.

She looks great John . Love the color you chose for the bottom . Sweet ride .

Thanks all, I can see she will be a work in progress for a long while, but it is enjoyable work.

John

73 Navigator clean up

Well it is still a long work in progress. N Willy, Finally got anchor puller installed, changed out teak handrails for stainless. Teak was through bolted &
thought it might leak. Put a 30year old pulpit on that had been sitting in back yard for 16 years. Had rotted not so nice gunwale patched and painted just hope it holds a couple years. Had galley cushions recovered in sunbrella to make clean ups easier. Lots more to do.

John

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpg
    IMG_4200.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4201.jpg
    IMG_4201.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4204.jpg
    IMG_4204.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 115
Looking good John .

Thanks Pack Mule & Murray, The drum is an EZ Anchor puller it holds 325 ft of 5/8 and 15ft chain. I know it looks a little large but I had 1 a little smaller on my last Parker for 10yrs and loved it. Never had a problem.

John

Drool...I've been eyeballing those for a while now.

Good go'in John,
Progress is golden. Feels good and looks good.
That's a lot of 5/8ths line. I've got 435' of 5/8ths and know it won't fit on my reel. My reel winch is even a bit bigger than yours. Decided it was too big. Now that I'm not in Alaska I probably don't need that much line but my little capstan works OK. But I love the ability to use multiple sizes of line and chain on a single rode. The reel reels it up shackles and all.
Beautiful table and seat upholstery.
Looks like you painted your cap rails black or very dark green. If we ever go back to Alaska ours will be painted too. Under covered moorage here the varnish holds up very well.
Good to see you post again.

Last edited:
It’s seems some of the hulls get blisters,some never had them,Broadbill has never had one,seems like air pockets trapped when they were laid up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom