Helm Gage Lighting and Night Vision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
This may be so obvious to you old salts that it's redundant.* The boat I'm bringing back to life has a typical flybridge helm.* The instruments are good (tach, oil pres, voltage, fuel, etc.).* However, they are all illuminated with bright, white light.* Net result - near zero night vision when operating at night.* I know I can gang them up on a rheostat to dim, but what I'd like to do is change the gage backlighting to red.* I've been unable to find correctly sized red bulbs.* I saw one boat where the gages were covered with a red transparent "lens cover", but it was obviously a temporary fix (and, I have convex lenses on the instruments I've replaced - tough to fit).* Anyone found a good fix ?* Appreciate the help.

While you are looking for the correct bulbs, take a sheet of red, clear plastic, big enough to cover all your lighted gages and velcro it to your panel. It will be a temporary fix but will be easy to install and remove. (I have a pair of red goggles that I use.)

*red goggles - Google Search

As a certified old-timer, my initial thought was bulb dye, which at one time was sold by* every auto parts store on the planet.* Went to J.C. Whitney(here in Chicago) and alas, it was not to be found.

But Dick Blick (downstate in Peoria, IL) has this stuff which will do the same job.* I had red dash lights in my '65 Mustang 4-speed 289 Pony.* Those were the days, my friend. Go here:** http://www.dickblick.com/products/delta-glass-paint/

Rick Haverstock

Great, Rick! I actually thought about the same thing (bulb dye) when I started the post, but I figured most people wouldn't understand the term. Guess that says something about my age, too. I'm going to order from Blick as soon as I post this. Sounds perfect if it will take a little temperature.

I like the velcroed plastic idea a lot, Seahorse. That will get me through until permanent.

Appreciate the help.

Bill

I have colored*bulbs with red and green magic markers and that works well.

Cheap and easy.

-- Edited by jleonard on Monday 12th of September 2011 08:22:54 PM

superbrightleds.com has replacement LED bulbs for instruments.* I have used the red, and they are great.* You can also get replacement backlighting bulbs for your electrical panel gauges.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 12th of September 2011 08:52:02 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 12th of September 2011 08:55:21 PM

Nail polish works , but a place like Aircraft Spruce will have a dip.

The light intensity is far more important than the red color , so the rheostat is still the best idea.

AS your eyes adapt slowly adjustable is great!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom