Shaft Stuffing Size??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caribe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40'
Hi: I'm repacking stuffing box on my 77 MT 40 DC. Not sure how old it is but I've had boat 6 years. The job is tough -impossible without corkscrew tool. Check out attached pictures. Not sure what size to use? The new stuffing in picture is 1/2' and fits in well with a small gap. Anyone know what size to use??
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 62
The 1/2" looks pretty good from here. What size came out?
Gland ID minus shaft diameter divided by 2 should give exact size.

Thanks -Not sure the size of what came out but it looks like ~1/2" squashed for 10+ years...But doesn't shaft OD minus gland ID /2 make it half the size of the gap?

What are the sizes of your shaft OD and the box ID.? The packing will be half that difference.

Example:

3" shaft OD and 4" box/gland ID means 1" difference so 1/2" packing.

thanks ...Mechanic at my boatyard says it needs to be tight going in. A little larger than the gap...Thats also what I did on my rudder boxes.
Similar to this video:
...But... I'm reading a lot of posts where people agree w what you say and they all are saying 1/2 the gap. That is my issue/question/quandry...

Assuming the packing isn't swimming in the gap it will expand if there is a bit of clearance and fill that clearance.

Just for safety you might ask if there is an ever so slightly larger packing such as 9/16"

Larger sizes are available but what the increments are I don't know above 1/2".

Last edited:
Probably a little late to post this now however just in case...you can use an ordinary twist drill to size your packing. Just select a drill, 3/8" for example, and hold it against the shaft with the shank towards the stuffing box. If it's 3/8' packing the drill should just slide into the stuffing box.

Update on Shaft Packing size

We used 9/16. It was tight going in - but worked fine.
thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom