Re-caulking hardtop and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackD

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Big Fish
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
My 2002 Mainship Pilot needs to be recaulked, mostly the joints around the hardtop. I don't think the caulk is failing, but it is moldy looking and probably due anyhow. Questions: 1) I saw a video of a Sonicrafter (oscillating tool) being used to remove caulk in a bathtub. Do you think that will be too aggressive for my job? 2) What type of caulk do you recommend?
Thanks in advance...

Can you clean the caulk and then paint carefully with a small brush?
Caulk is a pain to make it look good.

Hmmm. Had not thought about that. Use something like Kilz that will hopefully block the stains from bleeding through?

I've started using the set below for both removing and applying caulk. The removal tool seems to work well on older caulk--the drier the better. I'm using 4000-UV to recaulk. Too early to tell how long it will last, but it applies easily. If you're ever back at Worton Creek, look me up and I'll show you how the tools work on our boat.

Attachments

• IMG_5128.JPG
    IMG_5128.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks. We miss Worton! The lower bay doesn't have nearly as many nice places to anchor or visit as the upper bay.

What ever you use make sure it isn’t silicone. We used the recommended sikaflex 291. Remove old caulk. Clean area with acetone. Mask tape both sides of the caulk line. Caulk the joint. Remove the mask tape for nice straight edges.
IMG_3007.jpg

Use WD40 for any clean up needed, works better than anything I have found and much cheaper.

Or try Lacquer Thinner.

We have a lot of Sikaflex 291 on Willy. As I recall they refer to it as a bedding compound. Seldom have any issues and probably all the less than perfect applications are a result of poor preparation.

To remove old caulk I use an old chisel, a sharp one. The edge does not have to be beautiful. With a wee bit of care it does a good job.
I have one of the oscillating tools but I think it may be too aggressive even with the sharp knife type tool. Sometimes power tools can be too fast causing damage with realizing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom