View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
This for dual 50 amp Cablemaster (is 2 cords) where most of the cord is still inside and appears as new but the dozen feet or so on the outside looks bad enough that no amount of cleaning does much good plus the yellow itself is faded a bit

I've used vinyl upholstery paint on car seats before and it worked surprisingly well... But vinyl paint exposed to the elements might be more problematic... you tell me ...
The coiled cord on my upper helm RAM mic got into a fight with a buffer and lost. Since it's an old model radio, there were no replacement mics available and the only cord SH had to sell me was ivory and the mic is black.

I bought the ivory cord and a can of black vinyl upholstery paint from the auto parts store.

I cleaned the cord with alcohol and hung it from the garage ceiling with a weight on the other end and sprayed it with several light coats of the paint.

I installed the mic and connector and have been using it for five or six years now. It's covered when the boat isn't being used but is exposed to sun and of course flexing and the paint has held up well.

It's worth a try if the fading bothers you.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote