tracking device for dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
Anybody know of a good tracking device for the dinghy? I'd be happier knowing I can track the location of my $5000 dinghy when I leave it somewhere. I'm thinking of something like a GPS pet tracker.

These alarm and security stores have trackers that are powered by an internal battery. You can file them on the Internet. The one I used placed your boat on a Google map

There are many that work well. There's also a new generation developing of very small devices. One such device is Tile Mate.

https://www.thetileapp.com/store/ti...hfPInXBLuQQ7cuslvlcNTyqBUmB5tmihoCQEUQAvD_BwE

The reviews are mixed and I'd be worried about the distance, see it more today as a tool to locate your keys or your television remote.

Trackers are being used in so many ways. Some using them just in case vehicles are stolen. When we bought our company cars, we were asked and encouraged to equip them so we could track employees. We said "no", as it just seemed too much of an invasion to us. I do know some very large companies doing that. They time deliveries, time each stop, determine if an employee is off the track assigned. It just seems to me you don't have to know where someone is every minute to know if they're doing their job. They're also being used for some food delivery so the customer can see where your driver is. Actually was useful one time as we were getting delivery to a marina and saw that the driver made a wrong turn and was headed to the wrong marina so called them.

There are many that work well. There's also a new generation developing of very small devices. One such device is Tile Mate.

https://www.thetileapp.com/store/ti...hfPInXBLuQQ7cuslvlcNTyqBUmB5tmihoCQEUQAvD_BwE

The reviews are mixed and I'd be worried about the distance, see it more today as a tool to locate your keys or your television remote.

Trackers are being used in so many ways. Some using them just in case vehicles are stolen. When we bought our company cars, we were asked and encouraged to equip them so we could track employees. We said "no", as it just seemed too much of an invasion to us. I do know some very large companies doing that. They time deliveries, time each stop, determine if an employee is off the track assigned. It just seems to me you don't have to know where someone is every minute to know if they're doing their job. They're also being used for some food delivery so the customer can see where your driver is. Actually was useful one time as we were getting delivery to a marina and saw that the driver made a wrong turn and was headed to the wrong marina so called them.

Think I would have added the tracking devices. Having the technology doesn't obligate you to use it for the intended purpose. If somebody goes missing, has a health emergency, or the vehicle and employee are abducted, you have a valuable tool to start the search with.

Ted

Think I would have added the tracking devices. Having the technology doesn't obligate you to use it for the intended purpose. If somebody goes missing, has a health emergency, or the vehicle and employee are abducted, you have a valuable tool to start the search with.

Ted

Wifey B: We know their trip plans and if needed to find on emergency, can track cell phones. :)

We only deal in three counties.

Quote from the Tile website: "
Tile Mate and Slim have a maximum range of 100 ft. Tile Sport and Style increase that to 200 ft"

Not far enough IMO. I'd want something like a SPOT where it can be tracked by Satellite even if it's miles away after it was stolen.

Quote from the Tile website: "
Tile Mate and Slim have a maximum range of 100 ft. Tile Sport and Style increase that to 200 ft"

Not far enough IMO. I'd want something like a SPOT where it can be tracked by Satellite even if it's miles away after it was stolen.

I want miles too. Just citing Tile mostly because I think things about that size will be the next generation.

I looked at some trackers with annual subscriptions, but they are more than I wanted to spend annually. The Tile and some others had limited range, or are dependent on other users to help track with their cell phones if they are in range. I'm hoping for a stand alone, no subscription device that will show it's location on a phone or GPS etc, with a reasonable range. Maybe 10 miles?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom