Broken dipstick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
The top end of my dipstick broke off leaving most of the stick in the tube. The top of the broken stick is about 5 inches into the tube. Needlenose pliers wont fit in the tube. Anyone have any helpful ideas how to get it out? Appreciate any help. Thanks

On my Volvo engine, the tube can be removed easily. Not knowing what brand and model engine you have, I doubt anybody can tell you how to get the dipstick out easily.

Look closely at your dipstick tube and see if there's a clamp holding it in place or any other obvious way to remove it. Once you remove the tube, you should be able to remove the dipstick.

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 359
  • grabber1.jpg
    grabber1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 71
  • grabber2.jpg
    grabber2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 77
Is the DS steel? Try a magnet.

Good one!

Rare earth magnets might work....might be tough to find a stacking group with a small enough diameter. Or another piece of metal with magnets attached to it to grab the broken piece.

Hard to explane Find a length of soft clear plastic tube that will slide inside the the dipstick tube and then hopefully slide over the dipstick so the broken dipstick is now inside the plastic tube.Then pull on the plastic tube lifting the dipstick with it . How did I go:blush:

Keep in mind that anything that you put down the dipstick tube and lose will result in much bigger problems than a broken dipstick. Taping magnets to a stick seems risky to me.

Remove the dipstick tube. I too will guess it is removeable, mine is. Then you can get the broken piece out.

Yep .....but a try or two the easy way may be worth it.

Many dipsticks are steel ....so worst case is the magnet sticks in the tube and you get that out along with the dipstick when all else fails...:D

Grab the dipstick tube near the base area where it fits into the block with a pair of vise grips adjusted for a very loose grip. See if you can spin it a bit. If you can, keep spinning and lifting and pretty soon it will pop right out. Remove the dipstick and stick the tube back in the hold.

Gently, very gently with all of this.

Get a chopstick and split it down the center part way.

200.gif

NO personal reference intended to ANYONE. Simply identifying the part in question....(Plus it's the only GIF I could find with the word "dipstick).

Last edited:
If you do remove the tube, make dang sure the bottom is above the static oil level.... I know common sense, hope I didn't insult anyone :)

Since you need a new dipstick anyway, buy a shorter one, cut your dipstick tube down with a tubing cutter by exactly the difference, pull out the old one, and go boating.

Since you need a new dipstick anyway, buy a shorter one, cut your dipstick tube down with a tubing cutter by exactly the difference, pull out the old one, and go boating.

Good idea if the others don't work. Come to think of it, the top half of my dipstick tube is heavy rubber tubing. Slide some over the stub and cut to length.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom