How to w/two anchor, once side chain pulpit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawrence D

Vessel Name
N/A
- Recent member, first time poster, please be kind to the noob.

How does a dual anchor pulpit arrangement like this function in practice? :confused:
(see photo I hope is attached)

While a few angled design pulpits allow for either anchor to be switched to the chain grove spool of a vertical spool windlass, here only the right side anchor will work on the chain spool right side of this windlass.
So..? What's the practice for the left side anchor?
Are we talking rope line rode only on the left side anchor here, suggesting a lighter anchor?

Which then leads to the question - is a dual anchor pulpit keenly intended for a second style anchor that's only attached via rope rode (less strength) - and for which situation?
Are there times when an anchor on a lesser strength/weight anchor & rode makes some sorta sense?

Basically, I'm wondering why two chain sides to a windlass supporting a dual anchor pulpit (and separate rode and lockers) wouldn't commonly make more sense?
Thanx! :D
---

Attachments

• beneteauST52_anchorrollers.jpg
    beneteauST52_anchorrollers.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 98
My first guess would be the second anchor has a short length of chain and then rope. Might check with the winch manufacturer to see if you can retrofit the other side.

Ted

My first guess would be the second anchor has a short length of chain and then rope. Might check with the winch manufacturer to see if you can retrofit the other side.

Ted

My thought too - Retrofit a chain link spool to the other side of the windlass.
But I'm still curious what the thinking was with the original design here, because this is a rather common setup.

My thought too - Retrofit a chain link spool to the other side of the windlass.
But I'm still curious what the thinking was with the original design here, because this is a rather common setup.

Cost and weight of the 2nd chain.

Ted

Wifey B: Maybe the left side is "optional at extra charge." Perhaps they're saying, we set it up to accommodate a second anchor if you want to add it. :eek:

Wifey B: Maybe the left side is "optional at extra charge." Perhaps they're saying, we set it up to accommodate a second anchor if you want to add it. :eek:

Sure.., an "optional at extra charge" lol exactly. Do they do that??? lol.
Then later you realize -
"Well I paid extra for this, two's better than one, right? ..but in practice, since I can only use the second with rope rode, how much sense does this make on my 48ft trawler?"
(That's where I've seen these configs.)

...but yes, I didn't consider the weight issue which may overweigh (see how I did that :rofl: ) the other considerations - Good one. :thumb:

If possible as a second option anchor roller I'd rather the same config for each so I can have a blade on one side, and a multi-hook on the other, but regardless they're both supported by what I consider equally capable chain rode and a windlass spool able to support that.
Maybe even, just an opp to switch the rode between the two.
---

Most winches like yours have several options. 2 wildcats, 2 drums, swap sides, etc.

I THINK that is a Lofrans Falkon windlass....it certainly looks like mine. If it is, congratulations: they are very high quality, with parts and documentation readily available. (If you need the parts diagram, pm me and I'll send it through).

Lofrans like many manufacturers offer different gypsy/capstan combinations, but the one you have---like mine---is the standard for the Falkon model. The rope capstan on the port side can be used independently of the chain gypsy, for purposes including, for example: handling a line from bow to top of mast if you were a sailboat; hauling in a dockline; dropping a stern anchor and taking a bow line to shore; or (as most trawler-type vessels might do) for an emergency or storm anchor, that is stowed with an all-rode (or short chain and all-rode) line attached. That's how I use mine.

Back
Top Bottom