Seapiper trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the boat ,but yes, I think a mast would help the aesthetics. I have to say, the boat does have a clean wake so I'm going to assume they're going to proclaim the hull design a success.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the wheelhouse door in the front, open to the elements like it is, though.

1A-SeaPiper 35 - 1201.jpg
1A-SeaPiper 35 - 1204.jpg

Just went on the Seapiper website, the first 10 are sold, I am going to fire off an email to the designer, maybe he will join the forum and give us some more info and answer questions..

I think this SeaPipper will be a good boat if they sell enough of the odd looking aft cabin boats. But to really amount to somth'in I think they eventially should offer a mid cabin model. That will probably be their bread and butter boat but the aft cabin has drawn the attention it was probably designed to do.

I love the design of this boat. Things that impress me are:
Low engine in box rudder allows 1/2 degree prop angle for efficiency and low COG for stability.
4" scuppers for fast draining cockpits.
Very good service access considering it's a 35 foot boat
Lots of storage.

My Norwegian heritage also likes the pilothouse design.

-

Seapiper is no stranger to TF.
Pics suggest it resembles the classic Tasmanian cray(lobster) fishing boat.
(Caution restrains me from telling the Barry Humphries joke about the taxi driver and "the map of Tasmania".)

Anybody have a link to a photo or drawing showing the box keel?

The only ones I've seen show mostly the stern end of things, which looks pretty typical keel wise. The "box" portion of the keel must be fairly small, but they do say it'll sit upright if you let it dry on a falling tide.

I have been in contact with the builder, last month he sent me drawings of the sail plan..They also have a nice canopy plan for the center cockpit...with options I think you can push the $300,000 mark. I like the look, just not sure if it has enough living space for us..

Correction on pricing, fully optioned Seapiper is going to sell for around 200,000.
This will not include sail or canopy..:dance:

So the Seapiper has a LOA of 35', a beam of 8.5' and displaces 16,300 lbs and they claim it is trailerable without permits.

The TT35 has a LOA of 37.5', a beam of 10'4" and displaces 6,500 lbs and it is trailerable with permits.

Realize the Seapiper has a diesel engine, ballast and 150 gallons more of fuel but where is the rest of the weight going?

So the Seapiper has a LOA of 35', a beam of 8.5' and displaces 16,300 lbs and they claim it is trailerable without permits.

The TT35 has a LOA of 37.5', a beam of 10'4" and displaces 6,500 lbs and it is trailerable with permits.

Realize the Seapiper has a diesel engine, ballast and 150 gallons more of fuel but where is the rest of the weight going?

On their site they say there is 2,600 pounds of ballast in the hull, and go onto to say;

The cast iron internal ballast set in resin adds to the impact strength of the hull: most of the hull bottom is more than 3 inches thick.

...so I'm thinking most of it would be in the bottom of the box keel, amidships. Three inches of hull must weigh a lot as well.

It would take one hell of a trailer and tow rig to pull the SeaPiper. I just looked up a 20000 lb capacity trailer and it weighs about 5000 lbs, so your truck needs to be able to tow close to 25000 lbs with the boat loaded. A one ton Dodge/Ford/Chevy with the right gears and a HO diesel will do it, but I would hate to have to pull that up a fairly steel boat ramp.

It would take one hell of a trailer and tow rig to pull the SeaPiper. I just looked up a 20000 lb capacity trailer and it weighs about 5000 lbs, so your truck needs to be able to tow close to 25000 lbs with the boat loaded. A one ton Dodge/Ford/Chevy with the right gears and a HO diesel will do it, but I would hate to have to pull that up a fairly steel boat ramp.

Another option would be a flat deck, because of the box keel. Would add a few wrinkles at either end of the trip, but I don't think trailerability is a major driving force in the design. Might make the logistics of buying one easier for people living far from major centres.

Dead of night, rough seas and I need to use the head.
It needs a walk through below deck.

I would love to see the Seapiper become successful and expand the line to a 52' model, I love the look...it's such a classic style in my mind..

Genecop, that is my point. There needs to be a 'protected' way to get to the V-berth. With a below deck walk way, problem solved....

Genecop, that is my point. There needs to be a 'protected' way to get to the V-berth. With a below deck walk way, problem solved....

Got it Dan, kind of funny you said that, while I was speaking to the designer , I explained to him that I travel with cats, ideally they could have a passage that would allow them to pass from the front cabin to the main cabin below deck.
The problem is the 5 watertight compartments, maybe there could be small hatches incorporated below deck. Not sure this would work for people as the headroom would probably make it difficult..

Like the look sort of the North Sea trawler and PNW bowpicker look. Like the center cockpit. That big aft cabin door that opens to the stern cockpit and no transom makes for an vulnerable look. I think I might have skipped the stern cockpit. The boat has a lot of cockpit(s) area. The interior has to be tiny. If they're talking $300k now at least they're getting realistic compared to the $169k previous

Oh yes the bowpicker look.
What a grand image for a little yacht.

Also as I said in post #34 there needs to be a mid cabin model of this boat. 99% of boats sold have mid cabins and probably for good reasons. The salty/kinky aft cabin is a draw as is anything unusual but when people actually put their money on the table most that are drawn to the aft cabin will probably buy the traditional mid cabin boat. .... IMO

Last edited:
Dead of night, rough seas and I need to use the head.
It needs a walk through below deck.

Lots of people from the sea kayaking and sailing realm wouldn't consider that too much of a hardship at all. We still sometimes giggle while ripping along at 7 knots against the wind, out of the rain, with the heater on.

I searched Bowpicker....found this beauty

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
That's interesting. I had no idea what a bowpicker was either.

My boat is kind of a "bowpicker style" with the PH pretty far aft. Even thought the sight lines are not as good, it sure seems like the best ride on my boat is as far aft as possible when things get really rolly.

Is that not true on all boats? Most boats seem to have the steering amidships and some are even very far forward, so maybe my experience of the smoothest ride being all the way aft is particular only to a few boats.

PH forward:
IMG_1352.JPG

PH aft:
IMG_1351.JPG

I was just looking at a Nordhaven , in the ones over 60 the pilot house is set back. The 43 Nordhaven has the PH more forward..I often wondered why boats are often piloted from mid ship or stern. I would never drive my car from the back seat..:blush:

I was just looking at a Nordhaven , in the ones over 60 the pilot house is set back. The 43 Nordhaven has the PH more forward..I often wondered why boats are often piloted from mid ship or stern. I would never drive my car from the back seat..:blush:

Sig Hanson on D.C. would agree with you.

Because the motion in a seaway is much more comfortable from midships or further aft.

If you car was launching off 12 - 15 sea's you'd likely change your mind.

So the Seapiper has a LOA of 35', a beam of 8.5' and displaces 16,300 lbs.....
Is that beam dimension correct? If so,it`s a remarkably "narrow gutted" boat,that width must affect practicability of use.

I went to the Seapiper site.... In there, he alluded to, 'the perfect boat to take to Bermuda...." The specs. indicate the boat will carry 250 gal of fuel. Is there a refueling station along the way? One would need a larger freezer -- accomplished by a 12 freeze in the bilge area? A small 12vt water maker? 2 reverse cycle A/Cs and a generator. Plus a way to mount safety lines to and from the forward stateroom.
The V-berth.... I sleep with my legs together not spread apart. With the cushions of the V-berth, one only has the change the dirty section.... SMIRK

Per the mast, fantastic... really improves the look of the boat. Does it fold for the low bridges?

Why the step down of the house? If the roof line were level, it would be a good place to store a rib plus extra space inside for storage of spare parts and non-perishable stores.

It's is trying to look more like an island hoping freighter. The design does give it some class.

Wasn't it designed to be able to be shipped in a standard shipping container, or am I dreaming that up like I do lots of other things?

?[emoji377]

Wasn't it designed to be able to be shipped in a standard shipping container, or am I dreaming that up like I do lots of other things?

?[emoji377]

Yup, that's one way to get that boat to Bermuda. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom